Wiki Posts
Search

Combine itineraries to simplify routing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Combine itineraries to simplify routing

I've had an ORD-ATL-ORD ticket for several months, with the outbound departure on April 3. Now a work trip has come up where I'll need to fly ORD-DEN-ORD April 2-3. I'd ideally like to fly on April 3 from DEN-ATL nonstop, which would arrive at 5pm instead of the midnight arrival I would have if I need to fly through ORD. Does anybody have any battlefield experience with making such a change? My concern is that changing the ORD-ATL outbound would cancel my return. Any advice will be most appreciated.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If you don't make the outbound on a PNR, your return will get canceled. There is no way to merge two separate PNRs into one multi-city hop. You also can't do a same-day change in Denver to go to Atlanta instead of Chicago.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cubfan99
I've had an ORD-ATL-ORD ticket for several months, with the outbound departure on April 3. Now a work trip has come up where I'll need to fly ORD-DEN-ORD April 2-3. I'd ideally like to fly on April 3 from DEN-ATL nonstop, which would arrive at 5pm instead of the midnight arrival I would have if I need to fly through ORD. Does anybody have any battlefield experience with making such a change? My concern is that changing the ORD-ATL outbound would cancel my return. Any advice will be most appreciated.
correct - not flying ORD-ATL will cancel your return.

Youll have to make a change somehow. Have you booked the work trip yet. If not, you’ll probably be better off to book these as ORD-DEN-ATL-ORD, either as a single multi-city or in some combination of one-ways/multi city. With the change to multi-cut pricing a couple of years ago, it’s probably more expensive to do this as one multi city trip. Either way, you’ll need to make a change to that ticket anyway.

May be be easiest to book these as three one-ways - so booking ORD-DEN, then DEN-ATL, then paying to change your original ATL itin to cancel the outbound segment. I’d assume these markets all have one way fares that should price as half a round trip. The issue of course with this becomes what happens if you need to make changes - as these will all be separate changes/fees.

Of course the other option is to just keep them as separate RTs and ‘connect’ in ORD. Obviously, they’re still separate reservations and you aren’t technically protected if DEN-ORD is late, so leave as much time for a connection as possible. Technically, while UA doesn’t have to rebook you to ATL, they usually will if you are inbound on another UA flight. Plus, you can always try and SDC to the next flight if you know enroute you’ll miss what you have booked.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Changing a flight won't cancel the return; skipping a flight will.

Just call and make the change to your preferred circle trip.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
Changing a flight won't cancel the return; skipping a flight will.

Just call and make the change to your preferred circle trip.
OP has two PNRs with two tickets. Changing it to a circle trip on single PNR may involve two change fees.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
OP has two PNRs with two tickets. Changing it to a circle trip on single PNR may involve two change fees.
Certainly.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
OP should do an SDC on his/her ORD-ATL-ORD trip to move it out, simple (if available) as that. No change fees (except if minimal/lower status).
chermorg likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Thanks for all the advice! I was planning to do a SDC on the ORD-ATL, and hoping to work some magic prior to that at the counter in DEN. I figured that it was a long shot, but I was just wondering if anybody else had any success in a similar situation.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cubfan99
Thanks for all the advice! I was planning to do a SDC on the ORD-ATL, and hoping to work some magic prior to that at the counter in DEN. I figured that it was a long shot, but I was just wondering if anybody else had any success in a similar situation.
You can not change the destination with SDC, if you're hoping for a rerouting change to include DEN, you are going for a longshot option.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:31 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Would OP be able to have an agent do the SDC? From the SDC wiki:

• Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
Would OP be able to have an agent do the SDC? From the SDC wiki:
I believe that wiki entry refers to separately fared segments on same PNR. OP has two PNRs.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
This is the kind of thing that agents USED to be able to do, granted with a lot of typing and undoubtedly finagling of the antiquated system, but now they no longer seem to have the flexibility to bend the rules as much. One would think United would allow it, as they're going to free up some seats on aircraft that they can then sell to other people, but despite all their brilliance at revenue management on a flight-by-flight basis they haven't quite figured out how to optimize things across the entire network.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
One time I was successful with this.
Two PNRs
AAA-XXX
XXX-BBB

Fly AAA-BBB
It took a while to explain to a UA ticketing agent and change to AAA-BBB. If I remember correctly, she had to call. It happened at UA check in counter at AAA airport about 4 years ago.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by catocony
... There is no way to merge two separate PNRs into one multi-city hop. ...
I've successfully done this when there was a travel waiver in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.