Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any future of arrivals lounges? SFO, LHR only now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

Really like the value of an arrivals lounge as after long flights internationally or even red eye flights, very nice to get refreshed upon landing. Anyone know if this fits into Polaris strategy or any info? I'll accept rumors.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by schley
Really like the value of an arrivals lounge as after long flights internationally or even red eye flights, very nice to get refreshed upon landing. Anyone know if this fits into Polaris strategy or any info? I'll accept rumors.
I doubt it. If you are transiting onwards, you will have access to the Polaris lounges after you go back through security. UA would have to build landside lounges, which given the real estate situation at their hubs, would be difficult to pull off.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I've said it before, but the value proposition of SFO's arrival lounge to United is defensive. It keeps any of their TPAC competitors from opening an arrivals lounge at their most lucrative hub. That is the justification for keeping it at SFO, in my mind.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I doubt it. If you are transiting onwards, you will have access to the Polaris lounges after you go back through security. UA would have to build landside lounges, which given the real estate situation at their hubs, would be difficult to pull off.
Yeah NOT interested in that exercise after clearing immigration and customs. Connection is no problem, it is the arrival that is the gap.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by schley
...Anyone know if this fits into Polaris strategy...
It doesn’t. Once you get off a Polaris flight, UA really doesn’t want to deal with you any further beyond returning or transferring your luggage. The arrivals lounges (IMHO) will continue to be a discrete and extremely limited offering that will face constant “do we really need to provide this?” at UA. LHR is a super-important hub/destination and I think *A is well-served by keeping the arrivals lounge going in light of the OW competition/dominance. SFO is slightly less defendable (again IMHO). Speaking presumptuously from a UA mindset, not ours...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 25, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
LHR "works" simply because the market expects it (so many flights arrive in the AM, hotels not check-in-able yet and the segment they are targeting is often heading to meetings. That and all the other carriers there offer it.

There's very little traffic arriving in the early AM in EWR (TLV, GRU,EZE?), IAH (GRU/GIG/EZE+ central america not real J), and ORD.

And of course, you've got management that's taking away everything that isn't bolted down so... not under Kirby's watch for sure.
sbm12, Xyzzy and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
I know of, and have used the LH arrivals lounge in FRA. Is there a list of *A arrivals lounges that can be used by UA C/F pax? Any lounge in SIN, MEL or SYD for example - given the early AM arrival of the UA flights, having access to a lounge would be very useful.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
I know of, and have used the LH arrivals lounge in FRA. Is there a list of *A arrivals lounges that can be used by UA C/F pax? Any lounge in SIN, MEL or SYD for example - given the early AM arrival of the UA flights, having access to a lounge would be very useful.
SIN has The Haven by JetQuay, which takes Priority Pass. I used it last month and was pleased with the shower. The breakfast was pretty basic i.e., < SFO arrivals lounge.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Not that it'll happen because of costs and logistics (given the numerous Int'l arrivals into B), but I think EWR deserves an arrival lounge for the premium transcon flights, India, TLV, South America, and the early LHR flight.

Originally Posted by entropy
LHR "works" simply because the market expects it (so many flights arrive in the AM, hotels not check-in-able yet and the segment they are targeting is often heading to meetings. That and all the other carriers there offer it.

There's very little traffic arriving in the early AM in EWR (TLV, GRU,EZE?), IAH (GRU/GIG/EZE+ central america not real J), and ORD.

And of course, you've got management that's taking away everything that isn't bolted down so... not under Kirby's watch for sure.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
DEL and BOM also arrive in morning. They could also make paid entry for SFO/LAX/HNL red-eyes. I think there's enough traffic, but probably doesn't warrant the operating cost.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Correct ... and LHR is actually a shared lounge, not a United-operated facility like SFO. Currently it is available to UA, AC, and SA business/first passengers ... possibly other *A in the future.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I would request for early check-in at the hotel you are staying. Airport hotels are easier to get a room at 7am, for example
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Not that it'll happen because of costs and logistics (given the numerous Int'l arrivals into B), but I think EWR deserves an arrival lounge for the premium transcon flights, India, TLV, South America, and the early LHR flight.
sadly I doubt this will ever happen. They can’t even get the Polaris lounge together at EWR.

I foundry recall the days of ArrivalsSuite by United (I think that was the name) with locations at multiple airports in Europe, Asia South America, Australia and then here in the USA. They were really nice. Am sure others will have more details.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by hirohito888
DEL and BOM also arrive in morning. They could also make paid entry for SFO/LAX/HNL red-eyes. I think there's enough traffic, but probably doesn't warrant the operating cost.
I've personally shifted all of my redeye transcon flying to American after they took away the showers at the United Club at EWR. Unless they grant Polaris Lounge access to transcon passengers in J or introduce an arrivals lounge, JFK it is. I suppose that many others feel the same way.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Smile

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
I've personally shifted all of my redeye transcon flying to American after they took away the showers at the United Club at EWR. Unless they grant Polaris Lounge access to transcon passengers in J or introduce an arrivals lounge, JFK it is. I suppose that many others feel the same way.
Not to mention of course that even without the decent showers in the AA lounges everything else is better -- not to mention the actually onboard product too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.