Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Exit Row briefing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
No Exit Row briefing

Not sure if this belongs in another thread.

I was on SFO-EWR in Row 21 (exit row) yesterday. I think this was the first time where no FA did an exit row briefing (where they ask if we're ok in the exit row). Isn't this a requirement? I just got off a 13hr flight and was pretty tired. I suppose it is possible she came by while I was asleep and was talking in my sleep and the FA took that as a verbal acknowledgement but I think I managed to stay awake for the boarding process.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
If you were asleep you were paying as much attention as the awake passengers.

They need the seating charts to show pax who have previously sat in the exit row, so know the drill.
ordflyer18 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by eng3
Isn't this a requirement?
Yes, and the airline can be seriously fined for omitting it.

Originally Posted by drewguy
They need the seating charts to show pax who have previously sat in the exit row, so know the drill.
It doens't matter it you've been there 100 times. They are still required by law to give the briefing.
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
... I think this was the first time where no FA did an exit row briefing (where they ask if we're ok in the exit row). ...
Were you asked at boarding? When your BP beeped?
Generally the same question is asked at that time also.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes, and the airline can be seriously fined for omitting it.

It doens't matter it you've been there 100 times. They are still required by law to give the briefing.
Exactly what I thought.
I will give the crew the benefit of the doubt and assume I had severe jet lag/sleep deprivation and either was sleep talking or some how didn't remember.

Although another thing gave me the idea the crew was a little lazy. On a long flight, I always ask for a whole can of soda and it sat on my tray table the whole flight. Since I was asleep, I didnt actually drink much of it and probably missed the garbage pickup rounds a few times. I definitely missed the mid-flight KIND bar unless they skipped it. Anyways, I am pretty sure I was awake from the initial decent down and for that entire time no one came by to collect garbage. Around 5000ft, an FA came by to do a safety check. She had no garbage bag with her. I handed my can to her and she said "you can just leave it in your seat pocket, the cleaners will get it". I've never heard that before and was confused and tried handing it to her again. She was like "is it full?" and I was like "sort of". And then she ended up taking it. I do recall she and the rest of the crew was very nice but young. No dirty looks or anything like that.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
If you were asleep you were paying as much attention as the awake passengers.

huh? If people don’t pay attention during the briefing, how is a history of sitting in the exit row (presumably also ignoring the briefing) going to benefit anyone?

Back to OP, exit row breifing, so far as I am aware, is an FAA requirement, and if it wasn’t done, then is a violation. I don’t sit in the exit row often, and certainly not in the last couple of years, as I typically travel with child now, but when I have, have always got brefiing, including an occasional FA who would literally hand me and open the safety card to read, and ask for verbal ok.

Possibly the FA forgot or something, and doesn’t do this normally, or perhaps somehow this is routine for specific FA. Either way, this should be reported, as this has the ability to severely impact safety should an emergency occur.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by emcampbe
huh? If people don’t pay attention during the briefing, how is a history of sitting in the exit row (presumably also ignoring the briefing) going to benefit anyone?
1) The briefing is barely a "briefing" - it is confirmation you know you're in an exit row
2) If you've sat in an exit row before, and selected it again, chances are very good you realize you're in an exit row
3) I was in part being tongue-in-cheek. How many people watch the safety video? Many FTers probably have it memorized.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Were you asked at boarding? When your BP beeped?
Generally the same question is asked at that time also.
Ah, good point. I'll say "sort of".
Out of habit, I'll usually say "exit row" when it beeps to save the GA time.
The 3 people in front of me all got the beep and did not get asked. They all were sitting in the exit row.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Either way, this should be reported, as this has the ability to severely impact safety should an emergency occur.
Yes, it SHOULD be, but sometimes people (the FA) just make a mistake once and it never happens again. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt for one infraction rather than potentially put them at risk of discipline or job loss. If the OP were to report it, I wouldn't argue or fault him, just noting that it's something to think about. And as others have said, most people don't really listen so it likely has very little safety impact in reality.

Honestly, as a frequent exit-rower, I'd say the most important safety announcement I hear on every flight, if there were only one to make people acknowledge, is where they say "in case of an emergency, please follow all crew instructions" or something like that.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The briefing is barely a "briefing" - it is confirmation you know you're in an exit row
Not even that. I've had FAs read their briefing, and when they don't get a response, they just tell the person to "say yes".

Originally Posted by JBord
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt for one infraction rather than potentially put them at risk of discipline or job loss.
If it involves the safety of hundreds of people, I vehemently disagree. And how do you know it's only one infraction? Maybe this FA never gives a briefing.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

If it involves the safety of hundreds of people, I vehemently disagree. And how do you know it's only one infraction? Maybe this FA never gives a briefing.
First, "benefit of the doubt" implies that you don't know. And it's why I don't have a problem if someone feels they need to report it.

I believe in following rules. The FAA set a rule, and FA's should do it. I'm not sure I believe it actually impacts the safety of hundreds of people, unless the person seated in the exit row doesn't understand the primary language of the flight crew, which is part of the reason they ask the question. I'm not debating if the FA was wrong to skip it, just not sure I'd put someone's job (rent, mortgage, family, etc.) at risk if all other rules were followed on the flight. I've forgotten to do something that I've realized and regretted later. It happens to most of us once in a while. I'm not required to report the FA as a passenger, it's my choice. The same way I don't report every driver who does a rolling stop at a stop sign or turns on a red light when there's a sign prohibiting it, both of which are safety issues impacting other people.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I'm not sure I believe it actually impacts the safety of hundreds of people, unless the person seated in the exit row doesn't understand the primary language of the flight crew
Or has a disability, or insufficient strength, or any of a number of reasons they can't perform the appropriate actions.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Or has a disability, or insufficient strength, or any of a number of reasons they can't perform the appropriate actions.
It amazes me how much people become invested in these kinds of lip-service requirements that are implemented. I imagine that in a given year the number of people worldwide that decline an exit row only after receiving an exit briefing can be counted on two hands. Not even all airlines do exit row briefings (they're not required by FAR, but once implemented by an airline the airline can be fined for not doing them).

Yes, they should do it, but it's not the end of the world if they miss it every once-in-a-while.

Last edited by Sykes; Mar 20, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
It amazes me how much people become invested in these kinds of lip-service requirements that are implemented.
It amazes me how many people don't care about flight safety. I agree the implementation is poor, but it's still critical for everyone.

Originally Posted by Sykes
they're not required by FAR
Please read FAR 121.585 before making false statements.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Given that not everyone who flies knows what an "exit row" is necessarily, and may very well have been randomly assigned the seat, or picked it a long time ago, it makes perfect sense to ask "right here, right now, are you willing and able to help us if we need you".

Take the 60 year old man who normally would have no trouble opening the hatch. He booked his seat 3 months ago. He's come down with a stomach virus and isn't feeling well today, so he probably couldn't actually help. The GA (as they do sometimes, as it's not required for them) waves him on through, assuming he knows what he's doing. He gets in his seat, hears "are you willing and able to assist us in the event of an emergency" and voluntarily moves. Very well could make the difference between that exit being operational in an emergency and not.

The second you start saying "let it go, it was only once" is the second we stop caring about people in an exit row being willing/able to assist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.