Wiki Posts
Search

Help booking United Bay Area -> Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Help booking United Bay Area -> Italy

Hi All,

I'm taking a trip to Italy this summer with my wife. I'm getting overwhelmed trying to find the right itinerary where we can fly business class. I strongly prefer to find an itinerary with an instant upgrade.

1K member - 6 total GPU's available to use.

Leave from the Bay Area (SFO, SJC, OAK), June 29th, arrive in Florence June 30th
Depart Naples July 11th, back to the bay area (SFO, SJC, OAK).

Any suggestions? I see roundtrips on Lufthansa thru Munich/Frankfurt for sub $2K, but can't find one with instant upgrade.

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Upgradeable UA space at booking to Europe in peak summer travel is very rare. (actual anytime but this late for this summer, it will be very, very hard).

Originally Posted by jss381
.... Any suggestions? I see roundtrips on Lufthansa thru Munich/Frankfurt for sub $2K, but can't find one with instant upgrade. ...
The concept of "instant upgrade" (assume this means with R space) does not exist for LH. LH flights (booked in V or higher fares) can be upgraded with GPU (if business award space exists) but those have to be request post booking.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ht-credit.html

No other partner to Europe will take UA's GPUs

Your best bet will be partner award space using miles probably with a connection.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's really difficult using GPUs to Europe from the west coast. You might find R (upgrade) space on a random date but it's going to take lots of searching and compromising on dates and routing, and even then you may not find anything.

Honestly your best option right now is the $2800 P fare from SFO-MXP. Or the $2000 fare PDX-LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.