Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 179 EWR-HKG delayed / diverted to SFO and then cancelled - 7 March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

i was going to be on this flight then waived off it.

UA app showing diverted and flatware shows it taxiing/left gate but appears to show it flying EWR-SFO

a gone know anything?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Appear delayed departure (6 hours) from EWR due to MX and stopping in SFO for crew timeout / swap? Before continuing to HKG. With the weather issues in EWR, replacement crews may be a problem.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Appear delayed departure (6 hours) from EWR due to MX and stopping in SFO for crew timeout / swap? Before continuing to HKG. With the weather issues in EWR, replacement crews may be a problem.
yea that doesn’t make sense either. It’s a 3:15pm flight it’s a 5.5 hour flight. So 6 hour delay would put it taking off 30min sfo.

also no way it’s MX with the blizzard going on today. 3pm was a pure white out here no way it was taking off
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA's flight status states
Status: Delayed due to aircraft maintenance (Departed Gate 6 Hours 56 Minutes Late, taxiing to runway - Diverted to San Francisco, CA, US (SFO))
Scheduled Time: 3:05 p.m.
Scheduled Date: Wed., Mar. 7, 2018
Actual Time: 10:01 p.m.
Actual Date: Wed., Mar. 7, 2018
And as it recently departed, the diversion was scheduled prior to depart -- a standard situation for a crew swap.

The mechancial issue was posted long before the scheduled departure time, so the weather was not an issue related to the delay.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 7, 2018 at 8:42 pm Reason: more
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

That’s an awful diversion on this route length wise
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687
That’s an awful diversion on this route length wise
While I am speculating on the crew issue, you go where you can get the needed crew members.

It 9,500 miles vs 8,100 -- 17% increase

So, ORD might have been better, there may have been other reasons for selecting SFO
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Time wise it’s sinilar length EWR-HKG and SFO-HKG

so add a 6 hour flight and delay.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687
Time wise it’s similar length EWR-HKG and SFO-HKG ....
SFO-HKG is 2 hours shorter (14 vs 16 hours) at 6,926 vs 8,065 miles

Yes the total trip time is longer but what was the alternative? once there was an almost 7 hour MX.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: UA Million Miler.
I was on that flight.
We boarded pretty much on time. After maybe a 1.5 total wait on the aircraft (for de-icing, etc.) we finally start rolling down the runway.
just as we approach take off speed - BAM! It felt like we hit a pothole and blew a tire.

we coast to a smooth stop and the First Officer comes on and calmly says it was some sort of blown air gasket (?) on the starboard engine and we will be returning to gate.

i immediately got on the phone to the Premier Desk. They said they “didn’t know anything about it yet”. Then they put me on hold. A few minutes later they came back on the line and said they had rebooked us on the same flight for the next day. We even got our same Polaris seats.

When we deplaned, they announced “everyone please remain at the gate as we will try and get another plane and crew (original crew announced “unfortunately we will time out).

Ive been tracking it. Apparently they did get another plane. But it left 7 hours late and was diverted to San Franandblandedbtherevatb4am NYC time. Then the “new leg” of UA 179, SFO-HKG, was “Cancelled due to operational difficulties (original flight was non stop EWR-HKG).

Just received an email from Customer Care with an apology and choice of $400 ETC or 20,000 miles.
not happy about that. The $400 will just about cover my forfeited hotel reservation in Hong Kong.

But, as the pilot said, it could have been a lot worse. Everyone was able to safely walk off the plane.

(I hate typing on an iPhone!)
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Wow that’s a story. Glad everyone is safe
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
ErikStratton, thank you for the report. If I am (unfortunately) reading it correctly, after the major delay, the diversion to SFO, the flight was canceled and the passengers are in SFO? What a day for them.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: UA Million Miler.
Yep, that’s the sum of it.
(now if I was a United PR guy, I’d put all those pax stranded in SFO on a bus, take them on a tour of Chinatown. Then treat them to a meal at one of the great restaurants there. ).
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by ErikStratton
I was on that flight.
We boarded pretty much on time. After maybe a 1.5 total wait on the aircraft (for de-icing, etc.) we finally start rolling down the runway.
just as we approach take off speed - BAM! It felt like we hit a pothole and blew a tire.

we coast to a smooth stop and the First Officer comes on and calmly says it was some sort of blown air gasket (?) on the starboard engine and we will be returning to gate.

i immediately got on the phone to the Premier Desk. They said they “didn’t know anything about it yet”. Then they put me on hold. A few minutes later they came back on the line and said they had rebooked us on the same flight for the next day. We even got our same Polaris seats.

When we deplaned, they announced “everyone please remain at the gate as we will try and get another plane and crew (original crew announced “unfortunately we will time out).

Ive been tracking it. Apparently they did get another plane. But it left 7 hours late and was diverted to San Franandblandedbtherevatb4am NYC time. Then the “new leg” of UA 179, SFO-HKG, was “Cancelled due to operational difficulties (original flight was non stop EWR-HKG).

Just received an email from Customer Care with an apology and choice of $400 ETC or 20,000 miles.
not happy about that. The $400 will just about cover my forfeited hotel reservation in Hong Kong.

But, as the pilot said, it could have been a lot worse. Everyone was able to safely walk off the plane.

That's brutal if they actually took off 7 hours late with the intention to change crews in SFO, landed there in the middle of the night, and then that plan fell apart and they had to cancel. I'm sure more than a couple unhappy passengers who would have just assumed go home in Newark 12 hours earlier to try again today over dealing with standing in lines waiting for a hotel vouchers at 2am west coast time.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hammer0425
That's brutal if they actually took off 7 hours late with the intention to change crews in SFO, landed there in the middle of the night, and then that plan fell apart and they had to cancel. I'm sure more than a couple unhappy passengers who would have just assumed go home in Newark 12 hours earlier to try again today over dealing with standing in lines waiting for a hotel vouchers at 2am west coast time.
agreed at this point leaving today from EWR will most likely get you there at the same time. The crazy part is this wasn't weather related despite the craziness of the weather (and the reason i switched off the flight)
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Trying to look for a silver lining for you - I think since was a mechanical issue and not an "Act of God", you may be reimbursed through any travel insurance (credit card). I would definitely screenshot/save any messages from UA detailing the events of UA179 yesterday. Also doesn't hurt trying to speak with the hotel staff to see if you can get refunded.

Originally Posted by ErikStratton

kirkwoodj and AceReport like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.