Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 179 EWR-HKG delayed / diverted to SFO and then cancelled - 7 March 2018

UA 179 EWR-HKG delayed / diverted to SFO and then cancelled - 7 March 2018

Old Mar 7, 18, 7:00 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 913
UA 179 EWR-HKG delayed / diverted to SFO and then cancelled - 7 March 2018

i was going to be on this flight then waived off it.

UA app showing diverted and flatware shows it taxiing/left gate but appears to show it flying EWR-SFO

a gone know anything?
jp12687 is offline  
Old Mar 7, 18, 7:05 pm
  #2  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 51,798
Appear delayed departure (6 hours) from EWR due to MX and stopping in SFO for crew timeout / swap? Before continuing to HKG. With the weather issues in EWR, replacement crews may be a problem.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Mar 7, 18, 8:24 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 913
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Appear delayed departure (6 hours) from EWR due to MX and stopping in SFO for crew timeout / swap? Before continuing to HKG. With the weather issues in EWR, replacement crews may be a problem.
yea that doesn’t make sense either. It’s a 3:15pm flight it’s a 5.5 hour flight. So 6 hour delay would put it taking off 30min sfo.

also no way it’s MX with the blizzard going on today. 3pm was a pure white out here no way it was taking off
jp12687 is offline  
Old Mar 7, 18, 8:37 pm
  #4  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 51,798
UA's flight status states
Status: Delayed due to aircraft maintenance (Departed Gate 6 Hours 56 Minutes Late, taxiing to runway - Diverted to San Francisco, CA, US (SFO))
Scheduled Time: 3:05 p.m.
Scheduled Date: Wed., Mar. 7, 2018
Actual Time: 10:01 p.m.
Actual Date: Wed., Mar. 7, 2018
And as it recently departed, the diversion was scheduled prior to depart -- a standard situation for a crew swap.

The mechancial issue was posted long before the scheduled departure time, so the weather was not an issue related to the delay.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 7, 18 at 8:42 pm Reason: more
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Mar 7, 18, 8:44 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 913
That’s an awful diversion on this route length wise
jp12687 is offline  
Old Mar 7, 18, 8:54 pm
  #6  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 51,798
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
That’s an awful diversion on this route length wise
While I am speculating on the crew issue, you go where you can get the needed crew members.

It 9,500 miles vs 8,100 -- 17% increase

So, ORD might have been better, there may have been other reasons for selecting SFO
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Mar 7, 18, 8:57 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 913
Time wise it’s sinilar length EWR-HKG and SFO-HKG

so add a 6 hour flight and delay.
jp12687 is offline  
Old Mar 7, 18, 9:21 pm
  #8  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 51,798
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
Time wise it’s similar length EWR-HKG and SFO-HKG ....
SFO-HKG is 2 hours shorter (14 vs 16 hours) at 6,926 vs 8,065 miles

Yes the total trip time is longer but what was the alternative? once there was an almost 7 hour MX.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Mar 8, 18, 4:37 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 106
I was on that flight.
We boarded pretty much on time. After maybe a 1.5 total wait on the aircraft (for de-icing, etc.) we finally start rolling down the runway.
just as we approach take off speed - BAM! It felt like we hit a pothole and blew a tire.

we coast to a smooth stop and the First Officer comes on and calmly says it was some sort of blown air gasket (?) on the starboard engine and we will be returning to gate.

i immediately got on the phone to the Premier Desk. They said they “didn’t know anything about it yet”. Then they put me on hold. A few minutes later they came back on the line and said they had rebooked us on the same flight for the next day. We even got our same Polaris seats.

When we deplaned, they announced “everyone please remain at the gate as we will try and get another plane and crew (original crew announced “unfortunately we will time out).

Ive been tracking it. Apparently they did get another plane. But it left 7 hours late and was diverted to San Franandblandedbtherevatb4am NYC time. Then the “new leg” of UA 179, SFO-HKG, was “Cancelled due to operational difficulties (original flight was non stop EWR-HKG).

Just received an email from Customer Care with an apology and choice of $400 ETC or 20,000 miles.
not happy about that. The $400 will just about cover my forfeited hotel reservation in Hong Kong.

But, as the pilot said, it could have been a lot worse. Everyone was able to safely walk off the plane.

(I hate typing on an iPhone!)
ErikStratton is offline  
Old Mar 8, 18, 4:44 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 913
Wow that’s a story. Glad everyone is safe
jp12687 is offline  
Old Mar 8, 18, 4:48 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: PHL
Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Posts: 1,687
ErikStratton, thank you for the report. If I am (unfortunately) reading it correctly, after the major delay, the diversion to SFO, the flight was canceled and the passengers are in SFO? What a day for them.
TonyBurr is offline  
Old Mar 8, 18, 4:57 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 106
Yep, that’s the sum of it.
(now if I was a United PR guy, I’d put all those pax stranded in SFO on a bus, take them on a tour of Chinatown. Then treat them to a meal at one of the great restaurants there. ).
TTC192Rocket likes this.
ErikStratton is offline  
Old Mar 8, 18, 6:21 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by ErikStratton View Post
I was on that flight.
We boarded pretty much on time. After maybe a 1.5 total wait on the aircraft (for de-icing, etc.) we finally start rolling down the runway.
just as we approach take off speed - BAM! It felt like we hit a pothole and blew a tire.

we coast to a smooth stop and the First Officer comes on and calmly says it was some sort of blown air gasket (?) on the starboard engine and we will be returning to gate.

i immediately got on the phone to the Premier Desk. They said they “didn’t know anything about it yet”. Then they put me on hold. A few minutes later they came back on the line and said they had rebooked us on the same flight for the next day. We even got our same Polaris seats.

When we deplaned, they announced “everyone please remain at the gate as we will try and get another plane and crew (original crew announced “unfortunately we will time out).

Ive been tracking it. Apparently they did get another plane. But it left 7 hours late and was diverted to San Franandblandedbtherevatb4am NYC time. Then the “new leg” of UA 179, SFO-HKG, was “Cancelled due to operational difficulties (original flight was non stop EWR-HKG).

Just received an email from Customer Care with an apology and choice of $400 ETC or 20,000 miles.
not happy about that. The $400 will just about cover my forfeited hotel reservation in Hong Kong.

But, as the pilot said, it could have been a lot worse. Everyone was able to safely walk off the plane.

(I hate typing on an iPhone!)
That's brutal if they actually took off 7 hours late with the intention to change crews in SFO, landed there in the middle of the night, and then that plan fell apart and they had to cancel. I'm sure more than a couple unhappy passengers who would have just assumed go home in Newark 12 hours earlier to try again today over dealing with standing in lines waiting for a hotel vouchers at 2am west coast time.
Hammer0425 is offline  
Old Mar 8, 18, 6:47 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 913
Originally Posted by Hammer0425 View Post
That's brutal if they actually took off 7 hours late with the intention to change crews in SFO, landed there in the middle of the night, and then that plan fell apart and they had to cancel. I'm sure more than a couple unhappy passengers who would have just assumed go home in Newark 12 hours earlier to try again today over dealing with standing in lines waiting for a hotel vouchers at 2am west coast time.
agreed at this point leaving today from EWR will most likely get you there at the same time. The crazy part is this wasn't weather related despite the craziness of the weather (and the reason i switched off the flight)
jp12687 is offline  
Old Mar 8, 18, 6:52 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Posts: 1,180
Trying to look for a silver lining for you - I think since was a mechanical issue and not an "Act of God", you may be reimbursed through any travel insurance (credit card). I would definitely screenshot/save any messages from UA detailing the events of UA179 yesterday. Also doesn't hurt trying to speak with the hotel staff to see if you can get refunded.

Originally Posted by ErikStratton View Post
Just received an email from Customer Care with an apology and choice of $400 ETC or 20,000 miles.
not happy about that. The $400 will just about cover my forfeited hotel reservation in Hong Kong.

But, as the pilot said, it could have been a lot worse. Everyone was able to safely walk off the plane.

(I hate typing on an iPhone!)
kirkwoodj and AceReport like this.
764toHI is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: