FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA 179 EWR-HKG delayed / diverted to SFO and then cancelled - 7 March 2018
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:37 am
ErikStratton

Programs: UA Million Miler.
I was on that flight.
We boarded pretty much on time. After maybe a 1.5 total wait on the aircraft (for de-icing, etc.) we finally start rolling down the runway.
just as we approach take off speed - BAM! It felt like we hit a pothole and blew a tire.

we coast to a smooth stop and the First Officer comes on and calmly says it was some sort of blown air gasket (?) on the starboard engine and we will be returning to gate.

i immediately got on the phone to the Premier Desk. They said they “didn’t know anything about it yet”. Then they put me on hold. A few minutes later they came back on the line and said they had rebooked us on the same flight for the next day. We even got our same Polaris seats.

When we deplaned, they announced “everyone please remain at the gate as we will try and get another plane and crew (original crew announced “unfortunately we will time out).

Ive been tracking it. Apparently they did get another plane. But it left 7 hours late and was diverted to San Franandblandedbtherevatb4am NYC time. Then the “new leg” of UA 179, SFO-HKG, was “Cancelled due to operational difficulties (original flight was non stop EWR-HKG).

Just received an email from Customer Care with an apology and choice of $400 ETC or 20,000 miles.
not happy about that. The $400 will just about cover my forfeited hotel reservation in Hong Kong.

But, as the pilot said, it could have been a lot worse. Everyone was able to safely walk off the plane.

(I hate typing on an iPhone!)