FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Miles for gas with BP (USA) - ending 30 Sept 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1897543-miles-gas-bp-usa-ending-30-sept-2019-a.html)

mahasamatman Mar 7, 2018 11:07 am

Miles for gas with BP (USA) - ending 30 Sept 2019

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...y-program.html

United said starting today it will begin offering both United MileagePlus members and BP Driver Rewards members the option of earning and using miles on fuel purchases at participating BP retail locations in the United States.

bhunt Mar 7, 2018 11:20 am

Sounds too good to be true.

Save $10 on a fuel up if you can fit 20 gallons in for only 60 award miles.

chermorg Mar 7, 2018 11:24 am

Originally Posted by bhunt (Post 29496585)
Sounds too good to be true.

Save $10 on a fuel up if you can fit 20 gallons in for only 60 award miles.

60 award miles per gallon. Making this redemption cost 1200 award miles for 10 dollars - less than 1¢ value per mile.

bhunt Mar 7, 2018 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by chermorg (Post 29496606)
60 award miles per gallon. Making this redemption cost 1200 award miles for 10 dollars - less than 1¢ value per mile.

No the way I read it for 60 award miles you can get 50 cents off a gallon up to 20 gallons. So that could be savings up to $10.

GUM_elite Mar 7, 2018 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt (Post 29496793)
No the way I read it for 60 award miles you can get 50 cents off a gallon up to 20 gallons. So that could be savings up to $10.

I agree with chermorg: 0.83¢/mi. Not so good.

WineCountryUA Mar 7, 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by GUM_elite (Post 29496947)
I agree with chermorg: 0.83¢/mi. Not so good.

A very standard merchandising redemption rate for UA miles.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 29421805)
Typical merchandise redemption in 0.5.cpm to 0.8 cpm range

You can always get 1 cpm for Chase MP miles for UA air travel statement credit (Chase MP Choice Points) if you want to burn miles.

cfischer Mar 7, 2018 7:37 pm

can be great for a few miles to keep accounts alive or to spend a few thousand from dormant accounts for which there is no other use.

garykung Mar 7, 2018 9:58 pm

I like this:

The Program is void where prohibited by federal, state or local law and in California.
No need to think further, and 1 less problem.

Beside - I would rather fill up at Costco rather than Arco/BP anyway.

mahasamatman Mar 7, 2018 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 29498675)
I like this:

The Program is void where prohibited by federal, state or local law and in California.

BP's station locator shows no BP stations in California.

garykung Mar 7, 2018 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 29498687)

While it is true, it is irrelevant.

If you look at the application, you will see "California" is not an option for address.

So rather than gas stations, it is more about excluding CA residents.

(FWIW - just because BP has no station in CA, it does not mean CA residents can't fill up at a BP station when available.)

WineCountryUA Mar 7, 2018 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 29498687)

BP has stations in California but branded as ARCO -- apparently chose not to include those stations
BP Where we operate>California

BP has a significant presence in hundreds of communities across California through gas stations and convenience stores.
Its footprint includes more than 280 ARCO-licensed and -branded stations, along with the franchise for about 700 am/pm convenience stores.

mahasamatman Mar 7, 2018 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 29498728)
BP has stations in California but branded as ARCO -- apparently chose not to include those stations

Just because they're owned by BP doesn't make them BP stations. And this program is specifically for BP stations.

Most companies that own sub-brands treat them completely different because they are.

phkc070408 Mar 14, 2018 5:33 am

United & BP Driver Rewards

So now you can earn miles while buying gas.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r-rewards.html

https://www.mybpstation.com/?login_f...nation=account

I registered on Monday evening, and tried it the first time this morning (Wednesday). It worked flawlessly and my miles were in my account in less than 20 minutes. Note that it rounds up to the next whole gallon. For example,, I bought 15.12 gallons and I got 32 miles, credit for 16 gallons.

Darlox Mar 14, 2018 7:34 am

I'm not normally a privacy-crazy guy, and do belong to a lot of loyalty programs. But this seems to cross some kind of invisible boundary for me, as to whether or not giving them visibility into my credit card spend and non-flight travel patterns is worthwhile. I mean, even if you fill up the tank once per week, 15-gal (which is a big tank these days) * 52 weeks * 2 ppg = 1560 points per year.

For most people on this board, that's barely a rounding error in terms of annual points churn. It's 1200 points less than you could earn on the Hertz promotion that ran for over a year, for a 1-day rental. Didn't know I had a hard line on this stuff, but yeah... apparently this hit it.

jsloan Mar 14, 2018 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Darlox (Post 29523366)
I'm not normally a privacy-crazy guy, and do belong to a lot of loyalty programs. But this seems to cross some kind of invisible boundary for me, as to whether or not giving them visibility into my credit card spend and non-flight travel patterns is worthwhile.

I think you are dramatically underestimating the amount of information available about you, me, and everyone else on this board. If UA wanted that information, it wouldn't be hard to obtain it. I don't think that's the goal at all -- I think this is simply a way for BP to sell more gas. It's likely not even a major source of data for BP, because they already have your information unless you're paying cash for your gas.