FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Miles for gas with BP (USA) - ending 30 Sept 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1897543-miles-gas-bp-usa-ending-30-sept-2019-a.html)

jm0933 Mar 14, 2018 11:12 am

Cool. Especially like that you don't need to use a MP credit card to maximize your rewards on this, so you can earn UR points and United miles on the same purchases without missing out on any bonuses.

Darlox Mar 14, 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 29524058)
I think you are dramatically underestimating the amount of information available about you, me, and everyone else on this board. If UA wanted that information, it wouldn't be hard to obtain it. I don't think that's the goal at all -- I think this is simply a way for BP to sell more gas. It's likely not even a major source of data for BP, because they already have your information unless you're paying cash for your gas.

Ha! That's completely true... it's very likely that UA knows more about me than my family does. Still, I at least like to maintain the illusion of being compensated for my personal data. ~$0.004 cpg return just feels like they're not even trying anymore. ;)

aacharya Mar 14, 2018 1:53 pm

This is a pretty awful return versus the current Driver Rewards. I was tempted to switch, but I prefer 30 to 50 cents off a gallon versus the 0.004 cpg. Granted, 30-50 cents is every few months, but then I can fill up 16 gallons a clip.

jsloan Mar 14, 2018 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 29525114)
This is a pretty awful return versus the current Driver Rewards. I was tempted to switch, but I prefer 30 to 50 cents off a gallon versus the 0.004 cpg. Granted, 30-50 cents is every few months, but then I can fill up 16 gallons a clip.

Agreed. It's actually a much better deal for someone like me; there aren't any BP stations within hundreds of miles of my home. I wouldn't even have bothered signing up for BP Driver Rewards; now, if I happen to see one when I'm traveling, and it's not more expensive, I'll choose them. No sense having orphan credits in a program I can't use.

Dublin_rfk Mar 14, 2018 2:15 pm

I don't see what all the fuss is about. I mean at 2 miles per gallon (1 mile per gallon plus 1 mile per gallon CC bonus) times 7 on a rental fill up times 30 rentals a year and when you add in the starting bonus its a whopping 620 miles! Just think in 40 years you could save enough for a saver award ticket (assuming of course that the saver awards only slightly increase)!

WineCountryUA Mar 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk (Post 29525208)
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I mean at 2 miles per gallon (1 mile per gallon plus 1 mile per gallon CC bonus) times 7 on a rental fill up times 30 rentals a year and when you add in the starting bonus its a whopping 620 miles! Just think in 40 years you could save enough for a saver award ticket (assuming of course that the saver awards only slightly increase)!

Would not a more realistic case be for someone with a local BP station?
Assuming the typical 15,000 miles annually for USA drivers, 25-30 mpg, 500-600 gallons annually -- so with the signup bonus and linked car, 1,200 - 1,400 UA miles for doing nothing different (assuming no delta in gas prices). Roughly $20 annual discount @ 1.5cpm for UA miles.

Personally the Safeway discount for gas (0.10 cents per gallon per $100 spend -- effectivelty 1 to 2% discount of grocery bill) is a better deal and there are no local BP stations

mahasamatman Mar 14, 2018 3:37 pm

I don't see what all the fuss is about. I mean at 2 miles per gallon

You must drive an SUV...

jm0933 Mar 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Why would you only be putting gas in rental cars..?

br2k Mar 14, 2018 10:07 pm

My local BP station is routinely 10-15 cents/gallon more expensive than any other (Shell excepted). These miles won't make up for that difference.

phltraveler Mar 15, 2018 6:22 am

The only real benefit I see to this is that if you don't have the credit card or enough activity, that a fillup can post miles to your account to avoid expiration.

The earn rate on miles for gas purchaes and the redeem of miles against gasoline is bad, worse than the cash discounts that BP offers on their own program, and worse than competitors (Shell offers an automatic 3 cents off a gallon in their program, ExxonMobil offers at least a cent per gallon via Plenti (sometimes more via promos), and gas station partnerships with gas stations often offer far higher redemption rates).

But hey, maybe a handful UA miles will make some people go to BP more. Just like apparently some section of the market wants their gas pump to talk and take pictures of them as they pump gas. BP must be hard at work tapping these untold dozens of people!

Originally Posted by br2k (Post 29526566)
My local BP station is routinely 10-15 cents/gallon more expensive than any other (Shell excepted). These miles won't make up for that difference.

It depends on the area. My Mobil charges a lot more than the Sunoco down the street, corporate fuel cards probably help drive that (although specifically around me, the Mobil has a really good convenience store). I try to fuel at TOP Tier brands exclusively because independent (non-gas company) studies have found the extra detergents in it are worth it. But there are a lot of top tier brands out there nowadays, so it's usually not hard to find a Sunoco or Costco or other station that's cheaper than BP.

Dublin_rfk Mar 15, 2018 11:15 am

Originally Posted by jm0933 (Post 29525675)
Why would you only be putting gas in rental cars..?

The m0r0ns that pump gas in my state are not able to work the program.

Dublin_rfk Mar 15, 2018 11:17 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 29525534)
You must drive an SUV...

Sorry, I left the word purchased out.

Dublin_rfk Mar 15, 2018 11:22 am

More to @cfisher's post. The steady drip, drip, drip of miles into the +1s account will keep it active. She rarely flies on a revenue ticket.

BThumme Mar 23, 2018 9:31 am

New UA/BP Partnership for buying Gas

Just got an email that UA is now partnering with BP for gas. If you sign up, you can earn 3mi/dollar on regular grade or 4mi/dollar on premium grade (in addition to whatever credit card bonuses you might get) when purchasing fuel if you enroll.

That's a pretty nice deal if a BP isn't out of the way. I used to be able to buy shell giftcards through the mileageplus x shopping app via Gamestop, but they stopped that, so this might be a nice way to go forward and earn some additional miles.

You can apparently also use 60 miles to save .50/gal. And for some reason this isn't available to California residents.

200 mile signup bonus that will post after first purchase. Even if you don't want to link a credit card, can still earn 1mi/dollar.

Here's the signup link if anyone wants to look https://news.united.com/pub/cc?_ri_=...IsiZXRsNRgX20.

HawkeyeFlyer Mar 23, 2018 11:56 am

BP Fuel program

Has anyone signed up for this?