FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Miles for gas with BP (USA) - ending 30 Sept 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1897543-miles-gas-bp-usa-ending-30-sept-2019-a.html)

BThumme Mar 23, 2018 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer (Post 29558882)
Has anyone signed up for this?

I did today. not sure if that's helpful.

SkyHarbor Mar 23, 2018 2:54 pm

​​​​​Works as promised. I signed up and the miles posted quickly. The 200 bonus posted too.

theboss7593 May 24, 2018 10:27 pm

Mileage Plus vs. BP cash back

So I signed up today, I drive a Mercedes so my car takes Premium with Premium I'm getting 3 miles per gallon..

Let's say I fill up 26 times a year, 15 gallons per time, that's 390 gallons a year = 1,170 bonus miles a year. Also throw in the 200 bonus points for year one. $2.00. At a 2.0 redemption would be $25.40 on year one.

If I was to get the 10 cents back that's $1.50 a fill up times 24 (since it would takes 2 fill ups to hit that $100 threshold) = $36 cash back a year.

Am I doing the math right on that?

Meola10 May 25, 2018 7:48 am

Originally Posted by theboss7593 (Post 29791991)
So I signed up today, I drive a Mercedes so my car takes Premium with Premium I'm getting 3 miles per gallon..

Great fuel mileage. What do you drive, a 787?

mh3265a May 25, 2018 8:23 am

Interesting way to earn a few extra miles here and there. I'm generally agnostic on where I buy gas but I do generally use Shell where I get a discount because of my grocery shopping at Giant foodstores. This will make me look a little harder at BP if price is similar.

theboss7593 May 25, 2018 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Meola10 (Post 29793073)

Great fuel mileage. What do you drive, a 787?

Haha!! I meant 3 miles EARNED per gallon, I get 20MPG Combined in my C350 coupe and a surprising 30 on the highway. City is a lowly 15-16 but I don't live in the city :D What sucks is they don't make the C350 anymore so when it comes time to trade in and buy another CPO'd it's a downgrade to the C300 or a REALLY expensive upgrade to the C43 AMG. (yes C43 not C63).

Anyway, BP tends to be the cheapest around Northern NJ (with the exception of Delta who's gas I don't really trust and Costco which has a line longer than Thanksgiving at TSA in EWR) and I have one down the street from me so I'm definitely going to try it out.

SkiAdcock May 26, 2018 12:17 am

United+BP (Amoco) partnership- be careful

Did a search. Nothing came up, so posting a new thread.

So I get an email from United yest re: linking my BP Rewards (Amoco) account to UA to earn miles. 1 mile per $ spent at gas station plus 200 miles for first time use. So I link my BP & United. Deliberately stop at BP today (vs. Shell where I normally go) because I needed gas/thought I'd get the 200 extra & also miles per $ spend.

I saw something about 60 miles/50 cents Y/N at the pump which confused me, but I thought meant I'd earn 60 UA miles for 50 cents. So I hit Y.

Color me suprised when I get home & get this email.You've used award miles for your fuel purchase

Hello SkiAdcock:

Thank you for using United MileagePlus® award miles to save ($4.68) on your fuel purchase with BP Driver Rewards. Your award miles will be deducted from your account and may take up to 6 business days to process.

Your purchase summary

Date: May 25, 2018
Confirmation number:
Fuel purchase amount: $34.84 ($4.68 discount)
Miles used: 560
Miles remaining*:

Thanks you for choosing MileagePlus. We hope you'll continue to take advantage of this easy way to earn and use miles with Driver Rewards every time you visit the pump. If you need assistance with this program, please contact BP Driver at 1-877-852-3025, 7 days a week from 7 a.m to 11 p.m. EST, excluding major holidays.

I'm going to go back over the T&Cs, but I didn't see anything initially about using miles for a discount. I thought I was earning miles when I hit Y & being charged slightly more, not having miles deducted. While it's not a large amount I'm PO'd. Will be contacting BP Driver Rewards after the holiday.

I'm just posting so if anyone else signs up for this, press NO on the miles thing at the gas station.

Edited to add: I'll check my UA account in a week to see if I even earned any miles for the $1s spend plus the 200 initial miles bonus promo.

It should be noted that UA charges $70 to buy 1,000 miles, so there's no way that using 560 miles to save $4.68 makes any sense. Again, it's not a huge amount but I'm annoyed.

Cheers.

mahasamatman May 26, 2018 9:00 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 29795343)
I'm going to go back over the T&Cs, but I didn't see anything initially about using miles for a discount.

I see it right above in post #29, so it must have been mentioned somewhere...

SkiAdcock May 26, 2018 11:58 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 29796185)
I see it right above in post #29 , so it must have been mentioned somewhere...

I missed it until my thread got merged into this one (I had done a search) & didn't catch the use miles part until I read the wiki in this one. I thought I was purchasing 60 miles for 50 cents/was in a hurry when I was fueling.

Where I live now there are a lot of BPs & they're usually the same as the other gas places. I had signed up for BP Rewards previously, but its rewards program isn't as good as Shell's. BP you get 10cents off for every $100 spend. Shell I get .05/.10 off per gallon off every time I get gas, with occasional .50cents off.

I just checked my UA account; I will say everything posted quickly, although I still think the balance is off.

theboss7593 May 26, 2018 2:16 pm

So I get an email from United yest re: linking my BP Rewards (Amoco) account to UA to earn miles. 1 mile per $ spent at gas station plus 200 miles for first time use. So I link my BP & United. Deliberately stop at BP today (vs. Shell where I normally go) because I needed gas/thought I'd get the 200 extra & also miles per $ spend.

I saw something about 60 miles/50 cents Y/N at the pump which confused me, but I thought meant I'd earn 60 UA miles for 50 cents. So I hit Y.

Color me suprised when I get home & get this email.You've used award miles for your fuel purchase

Hello SkiAdcock:

Thank you for using United MileagePlus® award miles to save ($4.68) on your fuel purchase with BP Driver Rewards. Your award miles will be deducted from your account and may take up to 6 business days to process.

Your purchase summary

Confirmation number:
Miles remaining*:

Thanks you for choosing MileagePlus. We hope you'll continue to take advantage of this easy way to earn and use miles with Driver Rewards every time you visit the pump. If you need assistance with this program, please contact BP Driver at 1-877-852-3025, 7 days a week from 7 a.m to 11 p.m. EST, excluding major holidays.

I'm going to go back over the T&Cs, but I didn't see anything initially about using miles for a discount. I thought I was earning miles when I hit Y & being charged slightly more, not having miles deducted. While it's not a large amount I'm PO'd. Will be contacting BP Driver Rewards after the holiday.

I'm just posting so if anyone else signs up for this, press NO on the miles thing at the gas station.

Edited to add: I'll check my UA account in a week to see if I even earned any miles for the $1s spend plus the 200 initial miles bonus promo.

It should be noted that UA charges $70 to buy 1,000 miles, so there's no way that using 560 miles to save $4.68 makes any sense. Again, it's not a huge amount but I'm annoyed.

Cheers.

Ironically I went to get gas last night to try out the program, I live in NJ so THEY (the gas man) pump my gas. Being that my car takes Supreme and I've had a couple problems with careless gas men pouring gas on the side of the car to putting in regular I always get out and do it myself. (yes I know it's illegal but it's not enforced) Occasionally I'll get out and let the guy do it if he's standing there but I still get out stretch my legs and double check to make sure everything is done right. What you said you saw "would you like to redeem 60 miles to save .50 cents per gallon" I saw the exact same thing the guy was so quick to push no (and then I asked him if he saw it before he says he always pushes no unless someone tells him otherwise) so I knew I was okay but it got me thinking all it takes is a careless gas man and you sitting in your car to not even realize what happened. And waaalaa your out 500 plus miles. In states where you pump your own gas it's no biggie but I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened in NJ where someone was SOL. just a data point.

PS. my miles were already posted soon as I got home 20 minutes later. I thought for doing nothing a free 46 miles isn't bad everytime I fill up. With the amount I'll rack up over the course of the year that'll pay for my Barrons subscription on miles for mags, all in all not a bad deal.

EVA777 Jun 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Hello SkiAdcock:

Your purchase summary

Confirmation number:
Miles remaining*:

Cheers.

Same problem for me. The pump displayed "Use 60 miles for $0.50 / gal discount". I hit "Y" and was charged 860 miles, not 60. It appears this is 60 miles per gallon purchased deduction. Very very mis-leading. I thought I was using 60 miles total for a $0.50 / gallon discount. I'll be calling into complain, then un-linking my accounts. Just wanted to give a heads up on this. What a waste to push "Y". 860 miles for $7.20 off :(

WineCountryUA Jun 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by EVA777 (Post 29879774)
Same problem for me. The pump displayed "Use 60 miles for $0.50 / gal discount". I hit "Y" and was charged 860 miles, not 60. It appears this is 60 miles per gallon purchased deduction. Very very mis-leading. I thought I was using 60 miles total for a $0.50 / gallon discount. I'll be calling into complain, then un-linking my accounts. Just wanted to give a heads up on this. What a waste to push "Y". 860 miles for $7.20 off :(

Even harder to believe that 60 miles would give $7.20 discount. That would be a 12 cpm payout

FlyerTalker70 Dec 26, 2018 8:06 am

Just thought I'd point out that UA has increased the signup offer for this promotion:

United® Visa Cardmembers: Earn 1,000 bonus miles when you sign up with BP Driver Rewards.
Link: https://www.mybpstation.com/join-bp-driver-rewards?reward=united

-James

bman1002 Dec 26, 2018 10:17 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 30574931)
Just thought I'd point out that UA has increased the signup offer for this promotion:

Link: https://www.mybpstation.com/join-bp-...?reward=united

-James

I initially was frustrated that this program is not in California and I could not sign up. Then I realized there are no BP stations in the Bay Area. :D

garykung Dec 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by bman1002 (Post 30575355)
Then I realized there are no BP stations in the Bay Area. :D

That's not the reason.

Case-in-point - this program does not place an enrollment restriction to NV residents, while the 3 major NV cities (Reno, Carson City, Las Vegas) has no BP station. So it is apparent that it has nothing to do with the location of the gas stations. Beside - just because there is no BP station in CA, it does not mean a CA resident has no access to one.

My bet is on a state law that many know nothing about...