Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore seat selection available on UA.COM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore seat selection available on UA.COM

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I booked a SQ business award ticket a few months back and it let me choose seats on UA.com.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:51 pm

Code share select selection - Singapore Airlines

Are they assigned at check in? It would be an award ticket, haven't booked yet. It's a long flight so not sure I want to get stuck in a window seat. I like to get up and walk around.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Are they assigned at check in? It would be an award ticket, haven't booked yet. It's a long flight so not sure I want to get stuck in a window seat. I like to get up and walk around.
There are no codeshares on award tickets.

You can select seat assignments for Singapore Airlines (SQ) operated flights on United.com or in the United app, for any seat that doesn't require payment. I believe that's most SQ seats (although, to be fair, I've never flown SQ in economy). You would also be able to select the seats on singaporeair.com or by contacting SQ.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
There are no codeshares on award tickets.

You can select seat assignments for Singapore Airlines (SQ) operated flights on United.com or in the United app, for any seat that doesn't require payment. I believe that's most SQ seats (although, to be fair, I've never flown SQ in economy). You would also be able to select the seats on singaporeair.com or by contacting SQ.
Thanks. If that's the case why can't I pick seats at booking? I'm trying to avoid getting stuck in middle seats.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
It looks like the seat maps are not working now at singaporeair.com. That, and I don't think there are any free seat selections in Y, but am not sure.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
i think it may depend on type of fare (and maybe * status). Not sure about award tickets. I believe SQs most discounted fares don’t have seat selection in advance, and the more mid-price ones can select certain seats (ie rows in the back section of the Y cabin), while those on the higher fares should have access to most seats. It’s been a while since I’ve flown on SQ, and it was before the latest iteration of fare groups, but I know in the past as a *G I got to select seats toward the front of Y for no charge, and I was always on fares that earned UA RDM/PQM, but on the mid-high end of the fare class scale. I think it’s now all based on fare class, with some exceptions for the higher SQ status customers.

note that most carriers I’ve used consider award tickets in the higher end of benefits for things like seat selection - I’d assume the same for SQ, but not sure.

Originally Posted by jsloan

I don’t believe most - definitely some, but again, will depend on fare class. Again, don’t know for sure on awards.

Thanks. If that's the case why can't I pick seats at booking? I'm trying to avoid getting stuck in middle seats.
you have 24 hours to cancel a ticket and refund miles without any fees. if you can’t select at booking, make the booking, then go to SQs website to select seats, or call for it. If they don’t have any you like, then just go back to UA and cancel for a full refund.

IME, however, with less and less people getting seat assignments for free, I find it easier to get decent ones at check in for free. For example, LH has only a small group of people (HON/SEN, I think) that gets them free, even on international flights. Most Y travelers aren’t willing to pay the $35 (or whatever it is) to select them in advance, so if you check in as soon as it is open, I find you can usually get the seats you want.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:20 pm

Sq doesn't have free seat selection on cheap Y tickets. Some fare classes have free seat selection (except some blocked seats for PPS)

Unsure how award tickets are booked. If not, you should be able to select seats T-48 hours or at check-in

Afaik UA and SQ PNRs are different systems, UA should tell you what the SQ PNR is
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Afaik UA and SQ PNRs are different systems, UA should tell you what the SQ PNR is
UA now offers the ability to select seats on SQ flights through the UA website.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA now offers the ability to select seats on SQ flights through the UA website.
Is that after you pay for the ticket?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is that after you pay for the ticket?
Yes. That's subject to any limitations SQ may place on seat selection. I've not booked an economy award on SQ and thus don't know whether that ticket allows free seat selection.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. That's subject to any limitations SQ may place on seat selection. I've not booked an economy award on SQ and thus don't know whether that ticket allows free seat selection.
Yes SQ allows it if the coach award seat is booked using UA miles. I have done this several times. Once UA tickets it they provide you an SQ record locator which you can use to select seats, special meals on SQ’s website via “manage booking”

I didn’t try seats on UA website as the passenger in question also wanted a special meal.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.