Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Charged for 3rd bag as Gold (domestic UA economy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP

My parents are both MP Gold. They had a united domestic flight and a separate Singapore Airlines international flight. Domestic paid E reservation and the Singapore was MP award ticket In J.

They just checked in for the domestic leg and UAL agent checked luggage all they way through to Sydney. That’s the good part.

They had a total of 5 bags and they were charged $150 for having a 3rd bag. She told them their gold status does not qualify them for a 3rd bag. I don’t know if it was a Singapore charge or a UAL charge but it does not sound correct.

Does Singapore not give *Gold benefits? Or was it the domestic flight that did not get the 3rd bag benefit?

Last edited by wvactions; Feb 14, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:56 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
*G baggage allowance seem to vary by airline unless you check-in at a UA counter, and it's best to call the airline you'll be checking the baggage with to confirm.
I think *Gs usually get 1 extra over the standard or some extra lb/kg if the airline goes by weight.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mr8
*G baggage allowance seem to vary by airline unless you check-in at a UA counter, and it's best to call the airline you'll be checking the baggage with to confirm.
I think *Gs usually get 1 extra over the standard or some extra lb/kg if the airline goes by weight.

They did check in at a UAL ticket as the first flight was UAL domestic flight. Unfortunately right now I’m not sure if it was a UAL charge or SQ but it was charged at the UAL ticket counter.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:04 pm
mr8

Originally Posted by wvactions

They did check in at a UAL ticket as the first flight was UAL domestic flight. Unfortunately right now I’m not sure if it was a UAL charge or SQ but it was charged at the UAL ticket counter.
whoops! Looks like UAG only get 2 bags at 70 lbs. (32 kg). You get the third at Platinum.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Given the first PNR was a separate domestic ticket, it sounds like they got the domestic baggage allowance, which would be 2x70lbs each for a Premier Gold. I don't think you can argue for the overwater segment to play in at all because it's a separate ticket. The interline onto SQ is just a courtesy.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Oh...did not realize the third bag was not a Gold benefit on a domestic flight. That must explain the charge. I feel bad for telling them they could check 5 bags. I checked 5 on our flight to Sydney 2 weeks ago but it was all on UAL and on 1 ticket as a MP Gold.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wvactions
Oh...did not realize the third bag was not a Gold benefit on a domestic flight. That must explain the charge. I feel bad for telling them they could check 5 bags. I checked 5 on our flight to Sydney 2 weeks ago but it was all on UAL and on 1 ticket.
I believe it was removed as a Gold benefit a few years ago.. if flying in the premium cabin you should still get 3x70, but on a domestic Economy ticket it's just 2. Unfortunately the separate PNR is the killer here.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I believe it was removed as a Gold benefit a few years ago.. if flying in the premium cabin you should still get 3x70, but on a domestic Economy ticket it's just 2. Unfortunately the separate PNR is the killer here.
Yes, the footnote in the page says:

For United Economy® tickets issued or re-issued before February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. For United Economy tickets issued or re-issued on or after February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for two complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each with the exception of travel to and from select international markets, where Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. To determine specific checked baggage service charges, please use the Baggage Calculator. Return to reference
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yeah I was going to say but @username has already written it here. Golds do get 3 bags but only on international itineraries to HK/China (and perhaps other some destinations, I'm not sure). 1Ks get a whopping 4 bags to China which I've only once taken advantage of.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:19 pm
mr8

Originally Posted by dkmatter
Yeah I was going to say but @username has already written it here. Golds do get 3 bags but only on international itineraries to HK/China (and perhaps other some destinations, I'm not sure). 1Ks get a whopping 4 bags to China which I've only once taken advantage of.
4 on UA? I thought it capped out at 3!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by dkmatter
Thank you, I didn't know that and I fly to China all the time. Most I've checked is 3, but good to know I could do 4 if needed.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mr8
4 on UA? I thought it capped out at 3!
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Thank you, I didn't know that and I fly to China all the time. Most I've checked is 3, but good to know I could do 4 if needed.
I think it's 4 if you are Premier Gold, Platinum, 1K and travel First Class to China. Business Class is not good enough, the limit is 3.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I think it's 4 if you are Premier Gold, Platinum, 1K and travel First Class to China. Business Class is not good enough, the limit is 3.

I misse the old, "real" United. Back in the good old days, I flew the "real" United across the Pacific to Narita. With a business class ticket and my elite status, the UA agent didnt' blink an eye and checked all 6 bags. (same thing on the way back, no issues at all)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are three ways not to have been caught out:

1. The baggage allowance for each segment of an e-ticket issued on a US carrier or departing the US is stated on the e-ticket receipt.
2. On the UA website, if you enter your identifying information, e.g. PNR or log in, the calculator will display your allowance for the specific ticket.
3. On the same UA website, without PNR, you can enter the data points and the calculator will provide the infromation.

Here, at least #3 displays the 2 bags per person allowance and waiver. Can't speak to #1 and #2 . Best to always check these because it avoids surprises and gives an opportunity to pack more judiciously.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Often1
There are three ways not to have been caught out:
#1 only shows cost for the first 2 bags, even if you are allowed more. So there's no way to use this to know if you are allowed 2 bags or 12 for free.

#2 and #3 only show the first two by default, however there is an option for "Additional and other bag charges" that will show the charge for the 3rd bag (free or otherwise).

However even then it's frequently not correct - at least for partners. It's currently telling me that my 3rd bag on an SFO-TPE flight tomorrow night on BR will cost $150, where it's actually free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.