Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dog "incidents" in UA terminals; Slow Response Gives Paws {Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog "incidents" in UA terminals; Slow Response Gives Paws {Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:50 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Maybe it's DYWKIA-ish, but I keep all of the "Pet in Cabin" tags on my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel's carrier, and there are dozens of them, as a way of saying if I can pay, you too can pay. I promise you, he has never left his "waste" inside of an airport.

Finally, UA as of 24 April has started to provide new bright yellow "Pet in Cabin Tags" making it easier to identify those who do not pay.
People like you should be invited to pre-board! Thank you for being a good pet owner!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I have a 3.5 month old Boxer. I had her in the coffee shop I’m at everyday and when she started to poop I actually caught it with my hands. Much more gross for me but considerate to others I guess. Having a dog now I will say I get kind of judgey about other pet owners. If I saw any of these at the airport I would make a full stop and confront them. When I was staying at The Ritz Bacara I saw a Boxer and got to talking to the owner and she bascially told me to go online and get the ESA thing and the hotel can’t charge you the $150/stay to bring the dog and....”you can bring them on flights!” I told her something along the lines of I don’t believe in all that fake BS and the convo quickly ended.
When I go to NY to see friends or Hawaii I am going on vacation, I love my puppy but I want a break as well!
I have a 9 yr old Boxer and a 5 yr old English Bull Dog, both are awesome, but I think it's best they stay at home with us or the nanny. Both are lovers and very well behaved, but the Bull Dog is 98lbs, and when he decides to do something, not a human on the planet will stop him. His love of food, even UA food, would be a problem on the airplane. He would eat sand if he thought it had some value and a decent smell.

I'm 100% confident he would make national news if I ever allowed him to travel with me. He would guarantee nothing goes to waist at every airport.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Interesting reading about all the dog stories. Some are definitely DYKWIA, but maybe there should be a spin-off thread:
DYKWDTI (Do You Know Who's Dog This Is?)
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
He would guarantee nothing goes to waist at every airport.
At first I thought you meant "waste" but then I thought maybe you meant it wouldn't go to your waist.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by narvik
Interesting reading about all the dog stories. Some are definitely DYKWIA, but maybe there should be a spin-off thread:
DYKWDTI (Do You Know Who's Dog This Is?)
We could do dogs and CHILDREN, all in one thread.

Mass hysteria!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Howste
At first I thought you meant "waste" but then I thought maybe you meant it wouldn't go to your waist.
Good catch! Yes, it should be waste! And yes, he will eat anything and everything.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Not sure how you deal with such folks as obviously they knew they should clean up the mess but left it for presumably the cleaning staff of the airport.
You have airport police arrest them for vandalism and send them a bill for the cleaning costs, the same way if they damage any other airport property.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
You have airport police arrest them for vandalism and send them a bill for the cleaning costs, the same way if they damage any other airport property.
Yes, drop an ice cream cone and make a mess on the floor, walk away -- get arrested! And get sent a bill for the cleaning costs! That's how airports work.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Yes, drop an ice cream cone and make a mess on the floor, walk away -- get arrested!
Aside from the side that ice cream is not the same as a biological hazard like feces (or is that a new euphemism?), it is highly foreseeable that a dog not wearing a diaper will poop on the floor.

People freak out when someone puts their feet (with or without shoes) on a lounge table ...
And get sent a bill for the cleaning costs! That's how airports work.
You damage stuff on accident, like dinging a car , you're still responsible. It's called personal responsibility.

Last edited by rufflesinc; Apr 30, 2018 at 11:59 am
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:28 pm

Aside from the side that ice cream is not the same as a biological hazard like feces (or is that a new euphemism?), it is highly foreseeable that a dog not wearing a diaper will poop on the floor.

People freak out when someone puts their feet (with or without shoes) on a lounge table ...
You damage stuff on accident, like dinging a car , you're still responsible. It's called personal responsibility.
People freak out, yes, but no one is arrested or fined. An airport worker or other traveller telling the offender that their behavior is unacceptable, and would they please return to clean up the poop -- yes, that would be fine.

I'm not saying dog owners should allow their dogs to poop in airports and then not clean it up. I'm saying your proposed solution (arrest them and send them a cleaning bill) is way out of line, both with what is currently the practice and what I believe should be the practice. I've spent a lot of time in airports and I've never seen anyone arrested for failing to clean up after themselves (or their pets, children, etc.). I've also never seen anyone billed for a clean-up job that would take less than 10 minutes. I think if they did so, there would (rightfully) be a public outcry and bad press for the airport authority. That's not the correct solution.

Airports are public places, and there's a certain amount of cleaning up people's mess that comes with that. The idea that anyone who drops food, has a dog poop, or tracks in mud from outdoors should be billed is nonsensical. If there was permanent damage and that piece of flooring had to replaced, then maybe we can talk.

(And I don't think it's "highly foreseeable" that a dog without a diaper will poop inside -- many dogs are trained not to poop indoors. This may have been a freak accident. Or it may have been a poorly trained dog. We don't know.)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
People freak out, yes, but no one is arrested or fined. An airport worker or other traveller telling the offender that their behavior is unacceptable, and would they please return to clean up the poop -- yes, that would be fine.

I'm not saying dog owners should allow their dogs to poop in airports and then not clean it up. I'm saying your proposed solution (arrest them and send them a cleaning bill) is way out of line, both with what is currently the practice and what I believe should be the practice. I've spent a lot of time in airports and I've never seen anyone arrested for failing to clean up after themselves (or their pets, children, etc.). I've also never seen anyone billed for a clean-up job that would take less than 10 minutes. I think if they did so, there would (rightfully) be a public outcry and bad press for the airport authority. That's not the correct solution.

Airports are public places, and there's a certain amount of cleaning up people's mess that comes with that. The idea that anyone who drops food, has a dog poop, or tracks in mud from outdoors should be billed is nonsensical. If there was permanent damage and that piece of flooring had to replaced, then maybe we can talk.

(And I don't think it's "highly foreseeable" that a dog without a diaper will poop inside -- many dogs are trained not to poop indoors. This may have been a freak accident. Or it may have been a poorly trained dog. We don't know.)
To be fair, a lot of cities impose fines for those who do not clean up after their dog in public. As an example, NYC has a $250 fine. The trick is enforcement, but I don't see why that type of rule couldn't be applied to an airport.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've also never seen anyone billed for a clean-up job that would take less than 10 minutes.
I don't know how you'd steam clean and sanitize carpet in 10 minutes.

My reference to arrest would be if they walked away without cleaning, the same way you'd get arrested for leaving the scene of an accident or hit and run., that wouldn't happen otherwise had you stayed.
Airports are public places, and there's a certain amount of cleaning up people's mess that comes with that.
You say mess, I say property damage.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:33 pm
mr8

Yes, drop an ice cream cone and make a mess on the floor, walk away -- get arrested! And get sent a bill for the cleaning costs! That's how airports work.
Sure accidents happen, but actively choosing to litter is a different story. If some person stops what they're doing, thinks, and then actively decides to throw their ice cream in the middle of the floor and knowingly walks away, then they should be fined or arrested...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think UA wants a Dr Dao's dog incident.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:33 pm
mr8

Looks like the dogs are back in the UA terminal in DEN...
https://reddit.app.link/cCnMMiE89N

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-clean-up.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.