FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dog "incidents" in UA terminals; Slow Response Gives Paws {Consolidated]
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:28 pm
threeoh

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Aside from the side that ice cream is not the same as a biological hazard like feces (or is that a new euphemism?), it is highly foreseeable that a dog not wearing a diaper will poop on the floor.

People freak out when someone puts their feet (with or without shoes) on a lounge table ...
You damage stuff on accident, like dinging a car , you're still responsible. It's called personal responsibility.
People freak out, yes, but no one is arrested or fined. An airport worker or other traveller telling the offender that their behavior is unacceptable, and would they please return to clean up the poop -- yes, that would be fine.

I'm not saying dog owners should allow their dogs to poop in airports and then not clean it up. I'm saying your proposed solution (arrest them and send them a cleaning bill) is way out of line, both with what is currently the practice and what I believe should be the practice. I've spent a lot of time in airports and I've never seen anyone arrested for failing to clean up after themselves (or their pets, children, etc.). I've also never seen anyone billed for a clean-up job that would take less than 10 minutes. I think if they did so, there would (rightfully) be a public outcry and bad press for the airport authority. That's not the correct solution.

Airports are public places, and there's a certain amount of cleaning up people's mess that comes with that. The idea that anyone who drops food, has a dog poop, or tracks in mud from outdoors should be billed is nonsensical. If there was permanent damage and that piece of flooring had to replaced, then maybe we can talk.

(And I don't think it's "highly foreseeable" that a dog without a diaper will poop inside -- many dogs are trained not to poop indoors. This may have been a freak accident. Or it may have been a poorly trained dog. We don't know.)