Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racial profiling by United premier rep

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:34 am

I don't necessarily think that this is "racial" profiling, per se, though it's possible that the agent is prejudiced based on "something" (it could be because of race, or it could be also be they way you dress, the way you look -- old vs young -- or a number of other reasons)

I've been in that position (and assumed it likely because of age -- I look younger than I really am). I have waited in the Business check-in line, only to be told sternly (and in a rather condescending tone), that "This is for business class line" (obviously without even looking at my ticket).

Trust me, I took pleasure in responding firmly, "Yes, I know. I AM flying Business today". Eh, you win some. You lose some. Some customer service reps have no business being in the field with the way they interact with customers. It gives the airline a bad name. That said, I wouldn't be so quick to call it racial profiling.
pviri likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think some of it comes down to sensitivity - whether "politically correct" or not, service industry employees should do better on that front.
muji and Two Bee like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
I'm a middle aged, blue eyed, pale skinned Scandinavian. I used to travel upwards of 100-150 days a year, mainly long-haul and always in J or F (if I had miles to burn on upgrades). My first and only priority when travelling is comfort, and I therefore dressed as comfy as possible; jeans, t-shirt, sneakers and sweater. I've lost count of times I was 'mistaken' for monkey class riff-raff, having experienced attempts to turn me away from F/J check-in, priority security, lounges, priority boarding and even from turning left when entering the aircraft. Not once did I link this with racial profiling, regardless of whether it took place in Africa, the Middle East, SE Asia or the Far East.
"Monkey class"??? I haven't heard that one before.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Happened to me a few times, accused of being in the wrong line/cabin. Mainly my doing though as I tend to do my long haul travel in relaxed/borderline hobo dress style.I also board at the end of the process.A couple of years back I was boarding a TPAC with a group of stragglers.They had pulled the middle jet bridge so the few that were left were going through the front door. As we entered the the FC cabin a smartly dressed guy if front was allowed to go through then the FA who was standing in one of the seats (2 A I think)stood out in front of me and told me to "wait" while one of his premium passengers put bags in the overhead I then got a mini,fairly audible lecture of the importance of getting into my seat quickly.
I mentioned fairly audibly that I would make a point of doing that as soon as he moved out of it.
A little tipping toeing around me after that.
I learned a long time ago that appearances tell you little about anyone
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
The OP was not racially profiled.

I am a mid 50's clean cut caucasian male, and have had the exact same thing happen to me at IAH. And guess what, it didn't even bother me at all, because I knew in <10 seconds she was going to have my BP showing seat 1B in her hands.

Last edited by KDS777; Feb 11, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Sending people away is SOP for a lot of UA agents. It has nothing to do with you personally. They're simply lazy and hate their jobs. If you take personal offense to it, then write Oscar and tell him that he has personally pissed you off.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Never seen anyone being disrespectful and not even checking in and printing a boarding pass. The people guarding the line can be a little aggressive but saying 1k or answering yes to whatever questions they have seems to placate them. One time at IAD, the person at the check in counter behind the desk tried to charge me money to check a bag at the 1k/Polaris desk which was a little disrespectful but quickly changed his tune when I asked with a puzzled look. 1k?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Sending people away is SOP for a lot of UA agents. It has nothing to do with you personally. They're simply lazy and hate their jobs. If you take personal offense to it, then write Oscar and tell him that he has personally pissed you off.
I can understand where you're coming from, but my personal experience in cases like this is that they're not trying to send you away so they don't have to help you, they're trying to ensure that the people who are supposed to be Premier Access or get special service are able to. Anytime I've been told I'm in the wrong line, a quick "I am flying First today" or "I am Premier Silver with United" and they say "Ah, sorry, please wait there and we'll call you up". I don't think the vast majority of them (or "a lot") hate their jobs and are lazy. They're human, though, and humans do make mistakes.

I'd also (slightly OT) like to point out this is not a UA exclusive thing. I have had this happen to me with YYZ airport staff and AC staff when flying. I've had it happen at the TSA checkpoint priority lines before. I even had DL tell me how much a day-pass to the SkyClub was even though I was flying in international business/first.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KDS777
The OP was not racially profiled.
In your opinion, of course. Others have a different opinion.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
It could also be said that some people need sensitivity training, and it's not the UA gate agents.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS777
It could also be said that some people need sensitivity training, and it's not the UA gate agents.
Both sides should and our world would be a lot better if we all compromise a little.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by username
Both sides should and our world would be a lot better if we all compromise a little.
I try to be polite, but it's not my job to make airline employees feel better.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I won't pretend to know whether this was racism at play or not, though just anecdotally I've found Boston to have a stronger undercurrent of racism than some other cities .

As far as the 'this is the X line' , I usually butt in and say something like 'yes, I know' or 'good, I'm in the right place' before they can get to the 'you should be over there' part
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by zymm
I usually butt in and say something like 'yes, I know' or 'good, I'm in the right place' before they can get to the 'you should be over there' part
EXAAAAAAAAAACTLY! Cut them off when they're headed down the wrong path, pipe-up, and tell them your status and you are in the right line.

The OP immediately challenged the t/a, " He responded and asked her "how do you know I'm not F or 1K passenger?" and she mumbled something to herself. At this point I told her I'm flying F and 1K, and she printed my ticket...

Where's the racism here? I just don't see it!

Would everyone that thinks that they are different than regular/normal people have a complaint every time they got dissed at a supermarket, attempting to make a lane change on the interstate, or not being able to take a pee when the seat belt light is illuminated, have a beef with the people serving them?

As I have mentioned over and over on this forum, EVERYONE -pink-blue-purple-white-black-brown & speckled ALL meet an uptight t/a, g/a, and f/a on a regular basis with this airline, and they usually don't drop the race card at the drop of a hat (which, by the way, was used as a term back in the 60's and before FOX News was even born)!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:12 pm

I would like to ask people who have experienced racism, what they think. How can white people like me judge this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.