Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA F v LH F v LX F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LX flight number on 016 ticket gets you in.
And btw, this entire melodrama was not of UAs making at all.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:25 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cesco.g
LX flight number on 016 ticket gets you in.
And btw, this entire melodrama was not of UAs making at all.
But how do you get the LX flight numbers on a 016 ticket? When I tried doing so it took the price of my ticket up about $3K.

Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by st530
What's the resolution - that LX flight # on 016 does the trick, or that even UA code share flight # on 016 works as well?
In my experience LX flight #s get you in. This is what LX is looking for. There are very rare reports of issues w/ 016 tickets, but that is not what the majority of users report.

Originally Posted by S.R

But how do you get the LX flight numbers on a 016 ticket? When I tried doing so it took the price of my ticket up about $3K.

well, it might be more expensive, but it usually isn't. Try with Google flights.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by S.R

I can't the thread on it but people have discussed how they called UA and asked them to swap the flight number on the reservation.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:16 am

I honestly can't see how LX (or any *A for that matter) could deny you entry into their F lounge if you're flying F with any *A airline. The general principle with airline lounges is that you're entitled to the lounge that corresponds to your class of service (or FFP status level) when flying on an airline that is part of the lounge operator's alliance. Last I checked LX and UA are part of *A.

That's kind of the whole point of airline alliances and lounges in the first place. Imagine the uproar that would occur with LX passengers if AC wouldn't allow LX F/J passengers to use the MLL in YUL for the flight to ZRH on LX or were to deny A3 *G members access to the MLL (even though they should ). In fact if you plug UA F and ZRH into the *A lounge finder it says you have access to the LX F lounges. Using their logic, you could argue that since you're F on a UA flight that is reason enough for entry.

That being said, I'm not surprised by that, which is why I carry my physical UA Gold card in case they require it for inspection. The LX lounge in ZRH is arguably one of the best *A lounges I've been to (they had a chef with omelette station and a patio area where you can see planes take off/land) and totally knocks the socks off the LH Senator lounge I was in at FRA a few months ago. If I were to give a ranking of the (limited) *A lounges by airline I'd say it's LX then LH then AC then UA. I couldn't believe that UA doesn't have showers in their lounges at EWR which after a long haul flight is totally needed before making the connection. The only redeeming feature of UA lounges is you can order red bull from the bar for free (haven't seen that at other lounges).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
You might not "see" it but it's happened. To numerous people on this forum. Repeatedly.

Anywho, to me it comes down to how you plan to spend your time across the flights. The DXB-FRAor DXB-ZRH flights leave at times when allyou'll want to do is likely to sleep. In which case C is adequate so I'd pick LH for FCT, A380, and no additional domestic flight. If you plan to stay up and bask, then go for LX F to try a new product.
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I honestly can't see how LX (or any *A for that matter) could deny you entry into their F lounge if you're flying F with any *A airline. The general principle with airline lounges is that you're entitled to the lounge that corresponds to your class of service (or FFP status level) when flying on an airline that is part of the lounge operator's alliance. Last I checked LX and UA are part of *A.

That's kind of the whole point of airline alliances and lounges in the first place. Imagine the uproar that would occur with LX passengers if AC wouldn't allow LX F/J passengers to use the MLL in YUL for the flight to ZRH on LX or were to deny A3 *G members access to the MLL (even though they should ). In fact if you plug UA F and ZRH into the *A lounge finder it says you have access to the LX F lounges. Using their logic, you could argue that since you're F on a UA flight that is reason enough for entry.

That being said, I'm not surprised by that, which is why I carry my physical UA Gold card in case they require it for inspection. The LX lounge in ZRH is arguably one of the best *A lounges I've been to (they had a chef with omelette station and a patio area where you can see planes take off/land) and totally knocks the socks off the LH Senator lounge I was in at FRA a few months ago. If I were to give a ranking of the (limited) *A lounges by airline I'd say it's LX then LH then AC then UA. I couldn't believe that UA doesn't have showers in their lounges at EWR which after a long haul flight is totally needed before making the connection. The only redeeming feature of UA lounges is you can order red bull from the bar for free (haven't seen that at other lounges).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Very surprised by this comment.

First, this is fully consistent with *A policy:
Originally Posted by Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy
Exceptions are: LH HON/First Class Lounges in FRA/MUC; LX HON/First Class Lounges in ZRH/GVA; OS HON/First Class Lounges in VIE; TG Spa Lounge in BKK (subject to change).
(http://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy)

As for the M&M lounges, not sure which LX lounge you refer to but most are not nearly as good as LH ones. I'd much sooner take the FCT followed by FRA/MUC F lounges over the ZRH F lounges. And the LX Senator lounges, both Schengen and E gates, are no great shakes. Big thread about that in the LX sub-forum.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I honestly can't see how LX (or any *A for that matter) could deny you entry into their F lounge if you're flying F with any *A airline.
Well you could try reading the 26 page thread in the LX forum which describes quite clearly how this is exactly LX's policy. Swiss First Class Lounge just for Swiss

The general principle with airline lounges is that you're entitled to the lounge that corresponds to your class of service (or FFP status level) when flying on an airline that is part of the lounge operator's alliance. Last I checked LX and UA are part of *A.
Not sure whose "general principle" you are referring to, because that is not the *A rule. LH and LX designate the SEN lounge as their F lounge for *A purposes. So if you are flying F on any *A airline other than LH/LX (for example, UA or SQ), you will not have access to the First Class Lounge or First Class Terminal in FRA, MUC, or ZRH.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:18 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I can't the thread on it but people have discussed how they called UA and asked them to swap the flight number on the reservation.
Yea so I tried that when I was in this situation and after like 5 calls made to UA, it was obvious that the agents were really confused by my request, and the ones who understood said it would be an extra $3K to make it happen. It’s probably just a more expensive fare to book LX flight numbers thru UA.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by S.R
It’s probably just a more expensive fare to book LX flight numbers thru UA.
It depends on inventory. The fares themselves are the same, but codeshare inventory is not the same as native LX inventory. UA has likely sold its allocation of discount fare classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.