Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA F v LH F v LX F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
UA F v LH F v LX F

Have an 016-booked segment operated by LH: DXB-FRA-IAH Looking to move from C to F. Options are LH C to FRA, then UA F to ORD/IAH, or LH C to FRA then LH F to IAH, or LX F to ZRH/ORD then UA F to IAH. Obviously UA is not a real contender (price for all three itineraries is the same). That leaves me debating the LH nonstop FRA-IAH (4-hour layover in FRA to enjoy the FCT) or LX which has the extra stop in ORD but also has F on both segments (DXB-ZRH-ORD) whereas the DXB-FRA segment on LH is C only. I've done the LH F experience several times but never LX F. Will the ground experience at ZRH be similar to the ground experience at FRA on LH with the limo ride to aircraft, etc? Is LX F worth it just to try, despite the extra leg (and of course the F on the DXB-Europe segment, which I can't get on LH). Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I'm not sure why UA isn't a contender, especially if you need the UA metal towards your GS status or if you're heading towards 3MM.

That being said, if it's irrelevant, I'd give the nod to LH here. Even though the DXB-FRA is a 7 hour redeye in a coach seat, the FCT and the nonstop in LH F to IAH are arguably a better choice than LX, even with the DXB-ZRH leg in F. While the F lounge in ZRH is great, the ground experience can't compete w/LH.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:10 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Something to note about LX F booked on 016 tickets: they’ve been known to deny F lounge access at ZRH/GVA even for paid tickets in LX F when it is booked through UA. Their reasoning is that they only offer the F lounge to F pax who booked directly through them. It’s a really dumb rule.
There are some workarounds like having a mobile BP, because the paper one will say the also UA flight number. But sometimes they look into it further to see who you booked through even when you scan the mobile BP. You could get lucky like I did when flying BOM-ZRH-JFK in LX F, I had the mobile BP ready but when I arrived at the lounge their systems were down, so the agent just looked at my mobile BP to confirm I was in F, and copied my details down. I was nervous that I would get kicked out when they realized (which has actually happened to some people believe it or not). But nothing of the sort happened and I enjoyed the lounge.
But to be honest, Swiss F service onboard is better then LH, and LH is also very good for the most part in F service wise. But it’s not worth all these issues to fly LX, so I would stick with LH if I was you.
nnn, porciuscato and BeanTownBoy like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I fear that any potential issues with ORD/IAH will just ruin the previous LX F experience. I think it's tough to enjoy any international flight followed by a domestic USA flight can be such a downer, esp for Ord-iah (since iah is intl airport)
And.. Wow the LX F lounge rule feels worse than the UC Dragons that have been a source of utter hatred and disdain in past UAL posts. Somehow the idea that a paid LX F international ticket isn't adequate to get into an F lounge feels insulting while non-MM people who use ual miles to fly LH F get to enjoy the F terminal.

Last edited by gaobest; Feb 6, 2018 at 12:34 pm Reason: LX F lounge access
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My vote is for LH.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by gaobest
Wow the LX F lounge rule feels worse than the UC Dragons that have been a source of utter hatred and disdain in past UAL posts. Somehow the idea that a paid LX F international ticket isn't adequate to get into an F lounge feels insulting while non-MM people who use ual miles to fly LH F get to enjoy the F terminal.

It's especially bizarre because my understanding is that LX does allow FCL access @ ZRH if you're traveling in LH F on the same PNR later in the day -- even though your ZRH>FRA segment will by necessity be in crappy intra-European J. And that works for award tickets too.

The only thing they seem to turn up their noses at is tix plated on OAL stock.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've never understood the unwillingness to take a domestic tag flight after crossing an ocean, so I'm a little more biased toward the LX option. While both are acceptable, LX F is a huge upgrade over LH J for the first segment.. the stories of ZRH lounge troubles make it a bit more complicated. Either way though, sounds like you'll have a good flight
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA
UA F gets you Polaris access in ORD on arrival, LH and LX won't.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
LH 380 to IAH.

LX F lounge restrictions are ridiculous, and enforced with some rigor.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
no issue getting into LX F lounge on 016 ticket. As long as it is coded as an LX flight. They look for the flight # and balk at codeshares.
Very nice new F lounge in ZRH as well. LX F all the way would be my recommendation if you can get it on LX code or you are willing to slum in the SEN lounge in ZRH
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
no issue getting into LX F lounge on 016 ticket. As long as it is coded as an LX flight. They look for the flight # and balk at codeshares.
There are multiple reports in the LX forum of entry refused based on 016 ticket stock. That's the gray area. The black and white is if you have a UA flight number, they definitely will not let you in.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
While LH service is definitely better. If I'm on a paid ticket traveling through ORD I'll fly United First over LH.
tuolumne and halls120 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
UA F will also get you LH F Lounge access in FRA.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sammyindc
that's correct. Not FCT but FCL access in FRA. If the layover is lengthy ... an important aspect.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by sammyindc
Only because OP is GS. Everyone else gets the SEN lounge.
MatthewLAX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.