Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My First Premier Silver Upgrade Eligible Flight Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First Premier Silver Upgrade Eligible Flight Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
So about 15 minutes after I was checked in, I was upgraded. Guess it pays to fly during Super Bowl. Next question - I really prefer an aisle seat. It's indicated on my profile. So when I was upgraded, I got a window, and then called the premier desk to see about a aisle which they gave me. Is there any way to set an aisle seat as an upgrade preference?
was there an aisle available?

i think typically they try, but IME, aisles tend to go first, so there aren’t as many closer to departure. I’ve had a lot of flights where it’s about even at time of upgrade or a few days prior to departure, but many where there are only windows left, but never the opposite. I beleive they fill from front to back, as well.

My bigger challenge these days is I typically now travel in a party of 3 (2 elites and a toddler), so the bigger challenge is finding seats together if CPUd (yes, it happens on occasion) (or IRROPS).
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:55 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by hughw

I dunno...but why call in? just go online after being upgraded, on a computer or with the app, and check your seat....
Not everyone is aware of the process @:-)

IIRC there is a message that you cannot change seats after you've been checked in, but you can check in again, and if you've been upgraded I can understand someone may be concerned about losing u/g by checking in again.

LarrySinNJ, congrats on that rare and elusive Silver u/g, as I posted upthread, there is a chance if it's during the game.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not everyone is aware of the process @:-)

IIRC there is a message that you cannot change seats after you've been checked in, but you can check in again, and if you've been upgraded I can understand someone may be concerned about losing u/g by checking in again.

LarrySinNJ, congrats on that rare and elusive Silver u/g, as I posted upthread, there is a chance if it's during the game.
hehe, I haven’t seen it for a long time, but it used to be they wouldn’t initially assign seats, and they had some
message in the CPU email when this happened that seats would be assigned at the gate. Usually, I’d go in the app..and either change it myself, or find by the time I was in the app that they’d put me in a seat already.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
To be clear -- time of check in is the last tiebreaker, after status and the fare class purchased.
This is true, although any tiebreaker is important when you have the same status as probably a third of the people on any given airplane. I guess the real point is that there's definitely no drawback to checking in at T-24 as far as upgrades are concerned.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
So about 15 minutes after I was checked in, I was upgraded. Guess it pays to fly during Super Bowl. Next question - I really prefer an aisle seat. It's indicated on my profile. So when I was upgraded, I got a window, and then called the premier desk to see about a aisle which they gave me. Is there any way to set an aisle seat as an upgrade preference?
I've changed my seat in the app after being upgraded and haven't had any issues, although I'm not sure if this is the "correct" way to do it or if I'm risking my upgrade by doing this. I wouldn't think so but I've never really stopped to consider it. Anybody know about this?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jm0933
I've changed my seat in the app after being upgraded and haven't had any issues, although I'm not sure if this is the "correct" way to do it or if I'm risking my upgrade by doing this. I wouldn't think so but I've never really stopped to consider it. Anybody know about this?
That's the correct move as far as I'm concerned. I've done this countless times, changing seats in the app after getting an upgrade notification. No harm in doing this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ive done this plenty of times - probably one or two dozen times since the merger. Never had an issue with doing so, so I’d say there’s no risk.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I've changed my seat in the computer on the United website after being upgraded. Very easy too. Even after having already checked-in.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is true, although any tiebreaker is important when you have the same status as probably a third of the people on any given airplane. I guess the real point is that there's definitely no drawback to checking in at T-24 as far as upgrades are concerned.
Sure, although I think you're overestimating the number of Silver members on most flights. However, my point was that you said the people left on the upgrade list were "presumably other silvers who checked in after me," which gives an inaccurate view of the situation. A better statement is "presumably other silvers on lower fare classes or non-revs," because the chance that there were 10 people who were not only Silver but also the same fare class is slim.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I've changed my seat in the computer on the United website after being upgraded. Very easy too. Even after having already checked-in.
Yes, this is absolutely fine. You can change your seat 'til you're heart's content via the app, the computer, an airport kiosk, etc. although if the flight is within T-24 hours, you have to do it via the check-in process (as opposed to the 'View Reservation' page). There's no risk to your upgrade from changing your seat.

And, to answer the original question -- I prefer window seats, it's in my profile... and the upgrade process gives them to me about 50% of the time. As nearly as I can tell, the preference is completely ignored. If the cabin is nearly full, the seats seem to be assigned from front to back, A-Z. When it's nearly empty, it seems to do some weird alternating pattern like 1B 1E 2A 2F 3B 3E or something -- I can't quite figure it out.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
As nearly as I can tell, the preference is completely ignored. If the cabin is nearly full, the seats seem to be assigned from front to back, A-Z. When it's nearly empty, it seems to do some weird alternating pattern like 1B 1E 2A 2F 3B 3E or something -- I can't quite figure it out.
I just got CPUed into 2D on an E75. The A block was full, and the CD block completely empty. The next pax went in 3C ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: *
Actually ....

While your odds for an upgrade, unless you are flying at the same time as Super Bowl is on, is pretty much nil as a Silver
Very unlikely but not nil. Last month on flight from EWR to MIA on a sunday night everyone on the upgrade list was upgraded and the flight took off with SIX empty first seats.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:00 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

is pretty much nil
Originally Posted by ani90

Very unlikely but not nil
Which IMHO is pretty much definition of "pretty much nil"
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Odds of a Silver clearing on a Tuesday 6am flight in 3 weeks MCO-EWR? 757-200 is the equipment with only 41 seats sold in E and 3 sold in J with 13 remaining in J... I know it's still pretty far out but I feel like I have a decent shot...

Other option is Tampa 6AM flight 737-900 with 38 seats sold in E and 3 sold in J with 17 remaining.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Odds of a Silver clearing on a Tuesday 6am flight in 3 weeks MCO-EWR? 757-200 is the equipment with only 38 seats sold in E and 3 sold in J with 13 remaining in J... I know it's still pretty far out but I feel like I have a decent shot...
How do you know the number of seats sold?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by LondonElite

How do you know the number of seats sold?
counted on the map, I know some people haven't selected seats but it's a rough estimate..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.