Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mileage earning on TP (TAP / Air Portugal) operated flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mileage earning on TP (TAP / Air Portugal) operated flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Post #7 is correct regarding the reason for the denial of earning of miles. Has nothing to do with TAP Express or Portugalia. It is actually incredibly dishonest of TAP as they change the fare classes right after you take the flight to something else to get the mileage earning similar to what they want. Based on some data points and my personal experience, Discount maps to E, basic to A, and classic to V, but it also seems to deviate by route. Explain this dishonest behavior of TP to MPSC, show them your ticket with the fare class, and tell them TAP is lying about the fare class you flew to UA and you expect to earn miles based on the fare class you purchased. It worked for me with Asiana Club and it seems to have worked for the poster right above me.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:01 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by cfischer
was it part of a 016 ticket? That should be easy. Send it in manually with a scan of the BP.
016 is United stock I believe?

This was 082 if I remember correctly... the itinerary was bought with SN Brussels Airlines
(I'm not at home for the moment)
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kcaluwae

This was 082 if I remember correctly... the itinerary was bought with SN Brussels Airlines
then you'll have to send in the original ticket receipt and the boarding pass. Check the translation of SN to TP booking class thought to make that it is in fact eligible to earn.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:56 pm

then you'll have to send in the original ticket receipt and the boarding pass. Check the translation of SN to TP booking class thought to make that it is in fact eligible to earn.
Send in? Like physically send the documents to the United States?

I mostly fly OW and I know that one of the main differences is that within Star Alliance you earn miles based on the booking class of the operating carrier. This is actually one reason I prefer OW rather than *Alliance.
But I always taught there was no way to know which booking class that was. (except that all carriers owned by LH where mostly mapping one on one).
Are you implying that I can find this information somewhere? (I did do a search on google and flyertalk but couldn't find anything).
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Send in? Like physically send the documents to the United States?

I mostly fly OW and I know that one of the main differences is that within Star Alliance you earn miles based on the booking class of the operating carrier. This is actually one reason I prefer OW rather than *Alliance.
But I always taught there was no way to know which booking class that was. (except that all carriers owned by LH where mostly mapping one on one).
Are you implying that I can find this information somewhere? (I did do a search on google and flyertalk but couldn't find anything).
EF will show fare mapping. You send it in via Email for example, but you can snail-mail as well if you prefer. A simple Email to MP with a copy of the ticket and the BPs should do.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:53 pm

EF will show fare mapping. You send it in via Email for example, but you can snail-mail as well if you prefer. A simple Email to MP with a copy of the ticket and the BPs should do.
@cfischer : thanks for your advice, I've contacted United via mail. Let's hope they fix this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:39 am

I had a flight LIS-BRU. Flight TP612 but actually sold as SN6412.
After several weeks the miles still did not appear on my account so today I tried to file a request for credit but it was immediately denied with the following message:
  • Our records indicate that this ticket was not used or was exchanged. Please check your flight information and submit a new request if necessary.

But I did take this flight, didn't make any changes whatsoever. The only special thing was that they issued us new boarding passes as apparently because of a mechanical issue we got another plane.
Our ticket numbers weren't changed. I did notice that our boarding passes showed the TP flight number and not the SN flight number, not quite sure if this is how this normally works with a codeshare.
(the mileageplus number is on the boarding pass)

Late to the party, but this happens to me occasionally flying SN metal on 082 tickets. The only thing worse than SN's beer selection (Jupiler or Jupiler) is their IT, and this is definitely SN's fault. An e-mail to United with a scan or screenshot of the boarding pass takes care of it.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:13 pm

kcaluwae, you can also find this information entering the ticket number on Saudia Arabian Airline's website (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong). This will display fare class, fare pricing, etc.

~SAPriority
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
kcaluwae, you can also find this information entering the ticket number on Saudia Arabian Airline's website (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong). This will display fare class, fare pricing, etc.

~SAPriority
Two potential issues
1. In the case of a code share, Saudia site will still provide the fare class / fare basis of the ticket marketer, not the flight operator
2. The information is not available after the flight which tends to be when people discover they need the information.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Two potential issues
1. In the case of a code share, Saudia site will still provide the fare class / fare basis of the ticket marketer, not the flight operator
2. The information is not available after the flight which tends to be when people discover they need the information.
many here can look this up even after the flight. Knowing the route and the ticketed booking class lets you re-construct what the operating carrier booking class would be ... almost always ... some strange exceptions not withstanding
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
many here can look this up even after the flight. Knowing the route and the ticketed booking class lets you re-construct what the operating carrier booking class would be ... almost always ... some strange exceptions not withstanding
How do you that? And in a way that is convincing to a recalcitrant UA MP agent?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
How do you that? And in a way that is convincing to a recalcitrant UA MP agent?
1) you post date/ticketed route/booking class and someone will look it up
2) There is nothing in the world that will convince a recalcitrant UA MP agent

you look it up to convince yourself it should earn miles, then you submit the request. This goes to the operating airline and they should know what this booked into.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Two potential issues
WineCountryUA, I was able to access after my flight completed. It's how I was able to do the legwork necessary to appeal for credit. Perhaps not for infinity but definitely available after completion of the trip!

~SAPriority
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:27 am

I entered my ticket number on Saudia's website and was able to see my ticket information (after the flight was taken).
It looks like it shows the fare class of the marketing carrier (I wouldn't know of course if these map exactly to the operating carrier but that would surprise me). (SN is marketing carrier, TAP is operating carrier)
Both legs appear as flown which is already better than the error I received on UA's website.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Bumping this up.

I flew TAP on a "Classic" fare which booked into "T" according to TAP.

It's been 2 weeks nothing has posted to my Mileage Plus account.

I just submitted a missing mileage request and got an email that it is denied any mileage earning because its a "T" fare.

Is that the end of the line? Is there any recourse? I booked direct with TAP so quite confident I got the Classic fare which included seat assignments in their Economy Extra product.

Has anyone had a resolution on this?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.