Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing competition?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ual,aa
Beijing competition?

Saw recently that Delta is entering the Beijing market in March, I think. We're looking at going over there in later summer. United seems to have the best flight....but very expensive for business. Hoping the added competition will lower prices....any hope for this? Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:27 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Which PEK route you are referring to? LAX-PEK? UA does not fly that route and DL will fight deadly with AA and the dominating carrier CA
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ual,aa
Originally Posted by UA vs NW
Which PEK route you are referring to? LAX-PEK? UA does not fly that route and DL will fight deadly with AA and the dominating carrier CA
Flights I was looking at are out of SFO. Glad to hear Delta is aggressive....have never flown Delta business but have experienced Polaris to Australia...was ok.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I would be skeptical that DL will be aggressive on this route. They are simply filling in their route map some hitting a major city not covered by partners China Eastern or China Southern direct from the US west coast.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by letsgook
Flights I was looking at are out of SFO. Glad to hear Delta is aggressive....have never flown Delta business but have experienced Polaris to Australia...was ok.
Do you have a link to anything as I'm not finding anything about Delta adding SFO-PEK. They just added DTW-PEK and are adding DTW-PVG in April but I don't see anything about SFO-PEK.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:31 pm

I find it hard to believe DL would fly SFO PEK. That makes no logical sense at all.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
AA just started LAX-PEK last November. I love the schedule, and AA J > Polaris.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by letsgook
Saw recently that Delta is entering the Beijing market in March, I think. We're looking at going over there in later summer. United seems to have the best flight....but very expensive for business. Hoping the added competition will lower prices....any hope for this? Thanks!
HUH? DL has been flying to PEK for years. Some USA-PEK and vv routes (IIRC DTW) are getting the new A350 with genuine PE and "suites" in D1.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDS747
Do you have a link to anything as I'm not finding anything about Delta adding SFO-PEK. They just added DTW-PEK and are adding DTW-PVG in April but I don't see anything about SFO-PEK.
DL has been flying DTW-PVG/PEK for many years. They are in the process of upgrading these flights from A330/777's to A350's this winter/spring as they take more A350 deliveries. The also fly SEA-PEK/PVG/HKG and LAX-PVG. ATL-PVG is starting this summer. There are no plans for a SFO-PEK flight. SFO-PEK would be one-stop via SEA on DL.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 24, 2018 at 7:19 pm
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I find it hard to believe DL would fly SFO PEK. That makes no logical sense at all.
Delta already has some illogical non-hub flights to Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if they added some illogical ones to the west coast as well. The east coast flights are all due to business travel mostly, but I could see them potentially wanting to get in on the heavy Asian population on the west coast from a non-hub city such as SFO or OAK.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Delta and United have no overlap in the PEK-USA market. Maybe you are mixing Beijing and Shanghai, where both airlines fly PVG-LAX, or you are switching AA and DL, as both AA and UA fly PEK-ORD.

If you are talking about SFO-PEK... DL has no nonstop options (neither does their codeshare partner China Eastern) so you must be seeing a one stop option through SEA.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Delta doesn't have a single TPAC non stop from SFO. And they can't start a new daily route to either PEK or PVG because the US carriers have run out of route authorities for those cities under the US-China bilateral. There is only one weekly flight unallocated, plus three dormant after United pulled the 3x weekly SFO-HGH. They are starting ATL-PVG by transferring their existing NRT-PVG fifth freedom.

DL flies to PEK from DTW and SEA, and the SEA flight is on a 763.The only competition to PEK from the Bay Area is Air China ex-SFO and Hainan ex-SJC.
sbm12 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Delta doesn't have a single TPAC non stop from SFO. And they can't start a new daily route to either PEK or PVG because the US carriers have run out of route authorities for those cities under the US-China bilateral. There is only one weekly flight unallocated, plus three dormant after United pulled the 3x weekly SFO-HGH. They are starting ATL-PVG by transferring their existing NRT-PVG fifth freedom.

DL flies to PEK from DTW and SEA, and the SEA flight is on a 763.The only competition to PEK from the Bay Area is Air China ex-SFO and Hainan ex-SJC.
About five years ago, DL dropped its (nonstop) SFO-NRT and vv route after downsizing the aircraft several times. At that time, DL's NRT hub was alive and well, with intraAsia connections to TPE, PEK, PVG, CAN, and HKG.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by chermorg
Delta already has some illogical non-hub flights to Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if they added some illogical ones to the west coast as well. The east coast flights are all due to business travel mostly, but I could see them potentially wanting to get in on the heavy Asian population on the west coast from a non-hub city such as SFO or OAK.
DL TATL non-hub routes actually fly to their AF/KL/VS partner hubs carrying more transit passengers. PEK is not a ST hub, so it wouldn't make sense for DL to add any flights there and rely solely on O&D, which is not a good strategy for anyone except the LCC. Plus PEK is a slot-restricted airport, probably more valuable to fly from an actual hub like ATL with connecting traffic.

But back to topic, UA SFO-PEK flight is probably expensive because it's only 1 of 2 non-stop flights, and they're offering the 77W Polaris seats which are much better than CA business seats (same as sCO seats).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.