Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Revenue Premium, Leveraging the 752 Fleet to Compete with MINT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

JetBlue has a lower cost base than United, and maybe that’s why it’s able to offer a better level of service at all levels. That said, at the high end, UA used to at least position itself as the premium carrier in the US. All international aircraft were 3 cabin, and PS domestically — in its early days, at least — was the best product flying coast to coast. Today, we see United competing with the likes of Delta, who is trying to recapture that upmarket brand feel. Delta is even redeploying some of its international 75s to tackle premium routes.

I don’t run the books, so don’t have all the answers. I do know that, United, through it’s CO merger, has an asset in the 40+ 752s it has in premium cabin config, at relatively low cycles. If UA can pick up some of those used HA 767s coming offline and backfill the lower density routes, I think United is positioned better than any other US airline to compete with MINT if they wanted to. No other domestic airline has a narrowbody arsenal like this, why not leverage it?

And I know we are seeing some redeployment already, I’m instead talking about a full 752 repurposing to US markets, expanding on BOS-SFO & EWR-SFO/LAX routes to other transcon markets, i.e. SNA EWR.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I’m in the minority, but I don’t find mint all that great. Thr united seat is so much more comfortable. I don’t find the Mint food all that wonderful. And I don’t like the entertainment on JetBlue.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zrs70
I’m in the minority, but I don’t find mint all that great. Thr united seat is so much more comfortable. I don’t find the Mint food all that wonderful. And I don’t like the entertainment on JetBlue.
You prefer the UA 737 F seat over the Mint seat? Ditto for the domestic F meals and the DirecTV/Streaming IFE v AVOD/DirecTV/free wifi that supports streaming video?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by boat9781
I think United is positioned better than any other US airline to compete with MINT if they wanted to. No other domestic airline has a narrowbody arsenal like this, why not leverage it?
The implicit assumption is that competing with Mint would be more profitable than what UA has 757s flying today.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by boat9781
... to other transcon markets, i.e. SNA EWR.
UA already owns the transcon market ex-SNA. There is no competition. And it is a very difficult upgrade to score. What would the company's motivation be to make that change? There are other markets (e.g. SEA, SAN) where there is competition. DL tried the SEA thing a few years ago and bailed. It is trying again in a more limited manner thanks to the B6 play but still not all in.

Beyond that, the implication is that UA can drive better yields running transcons than some Hawaii and short European hops. The current 752 routes mostly have little to no competition and support the higher TATL premium fares. Taking those planes and deciding to fight for $500 o/w transcon F fares seems like a strange decision. Why would you purposefully choose to shift the aircraft to a market where the revenue potential is lower?? There's nothing upmarket about that.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: United Gold
Have you flown one of the 752s used for TATL?

did one last month LIS-EWR, and the IFE Interface (which was broken the whole flight!) was designed in the late 1990s. Theyd have to invest good money to make that a competitive transcon product, which they don’t want to do given the investment needed. That’s why it is stuck on the least glamorous and competitive TATL routes..

that said, it’s always interesting to think big picture like this as we can, in the crowd, mimic the kids of things UA has to be thinking about..
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by hscottm
Have you flown one of the 752s used for TATL?

did one last month LIS-EWR, and the IFE Interface (which was broken the whole flight!) was designed in the late 1990s. Theyd have to invest good money to make that a competitive transcon product, which they don’t want to do given the investment needed. That’s why it is stuck on the least glamorous and competitive TATL routes..

that said, it’s always interesting to think big picture like this as we can, in the crowd, mimic the kids of things UA has to be thinking about..
Same setup that brand new UA 787s are being delivered with as well.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hscottm
Theyd have to invest good money to make that a competitive transcon product, which they don’t want to do given the investment needed. That’s why it is stuck on the least glamorous and competitive TATL routes..
I'm pretty sure the 752s that fly TATL get cycled into the 'premium' domestic routes too. A typical routing for them could be LAX-EWR-LIS-EWR-SFO.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by sbm12
UA already owns the transcon market ex-SNA. There is no competition. And it is a very difficult upgrade to score. What would the company's motivation be to make that change?
Not only that, but I'm not sure 757s are even allowed to be used for scheduled service at SNA, because of the short runway/noise abatement rules? Anybody know? I do know that there are never any scheduled 757 flights at SNA.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
Not only that, but I'm not sure 757s are even allowed to be used for scheduled service at SNA, because of the short runway/noise abatement rules? Anybody know? I do know that there are never any scheduled 757 flights at SNA.
I flew on UA 752s ex-SNA pre-merger.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:42 pm

Pretty much every OC-Atlanta flight on Delta is a 757.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I flew on UA 752s ex-SNA pre-merger.
and those birds were great on the short takeoff!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by entropy
and those birds were great on the short takeoff!
Yeah the 739 is the runway hog . . . .
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
ORD-SNA was always a 757. Those were the days!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Thanks all for setting me straight on 757s at SNA! (Speaking of SNA, I could sure use a Javi's machaca and egg burrito right now...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.