Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

787-10 has joined the UA fleet, where will it fly and why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA inaugural flight 7 Jan 2019, LAX-EWR, UA2418

FT'ers On This Flight
BThumme 20A
CaptKornDog 22D

Will be used for international service after shakedown period UA to operate 6 TATL markets with 78J from EWR; increase GUM-Japan flying
United Announces 787-10 Routes

Related thread Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10
Print Wikipost

787-10 has joined the UA fleet, where will it fly and why

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
A couple hours ago it was 42 / 1 blocked , now it shows full.

Kinda bummer that they flew this new plane several times on this route already. Makes me wonder how "special" tomorrows inaugural will actually turn out.
Tomorrow's inaugural bird is in the air right now as UA1543 LAX-EWR.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:30 am

My seat is 47A for the inaugural flight. My girlfriend and I will hand out some custom B787 prints to those who are interested. Also, if anybody wants a shirt please let me know. Check it out at avinationco.etsy.com
BThumme likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Just arrived from my positioning flight.

Will be in seat 22D (will be wearing a black UA 787 polo). Come say hi; and I have buttons to give out for anyone interested!

Someone’s gotta be the caboose for J upgrades, may as well be me!
BThumme and tstauck like this.

Last edited by CaptKornDog; Jan 6, 2019 at 11:39 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Rather odd the aircraft is officially in service tomorrow, but the seatmap is still not up on united.com.

I guess the IT team is too busy messing up other stuff.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Well, my 753 graphic showed up as a 788 this morning. Maybe they’re still on vacation :P
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
At the exec lounge at hilton LAX right now, quite a few of us here are in the 787-10 tomorrow, once again i am at 20L
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I’m in 7a on the outbound! I’ll be wearing my custom made 787 baseball hat!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, I’m also on the reuturn today. Was offered to bid to take alertnative flight due to overbooking.

I put put in for $1000. Will request to be routed instead to psp, where I need to be anyway!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:41 am

Looks like my return to DEN upgauged from a 752 to the 78J, a nice surprise to wake up to.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

At the gate now.

An Arch of balloons and two podiums set up.

On board now. There was a quick speech from a 787 captain and someone from Boeing for about 5 minutes.

We were given a small picture that says it’s the inaugural flight, a postcard, and a drink coupon (that expires In a month).

Other then that, nothing really out of the ordinary so far. Maybe there’s more fun in the Polaris section.
narvik, jjmoore and riphamilton like this.

Last edited by BThumme; Jan 7, 2019 at 8:51 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme

At the gate now.

An Arch of balloons and two podiums set up.

On board now. There was a quick speech from a 787 captain and someone from Boeing for about 5 minutes.

We were given a small picture that says it’s the inaugural flight, a postcard, and a drink coupon (that expires In a month).

Other then that, nothing really out of the ordinary so far. Maybe there’s more fun in the Polaris section.
Nope. Sitting in Polaris. Not much to write about.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
They are setting up the gate area (121) at EWR. Similar setup as LAX.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Just wanted to share my thoughts really quick on 20A, the premium plus bulkhead.

I felt a tad bit cramped in the corner. The power plugs are in the bottom back corner of the seat, so it’s really hard to plug something into it without having to get up.

The seat is wide yes, but it was a bit hard to get the foot rests up, which others also mentioned on board. There was a complaint made from a passenger about the headphone jacks (which are above the power plugs in the back corner), but I don’t know what the details were.

The tray table was a bit small as well, and I really don’t like that it doesn’t extend straight out (meaning towards the bulkhead) just a little bit. You have room to type, but still have to crab your hands in a bit since the tray is so close to your body.

The windows also kept dimming, but that’s another issue.

Overall it was still a festive flight, and it was nice to meet a couple other FT’ers, and see some more that I saw on the 747 last flight.

Its a better experince then economy of course. But for me at least, it didn’t feel all that amazing. I’m in first class on an E170 right now and I think I prefer how this feels to what that seat felt like:
tstauck likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sitting in 21L for the return. Score number 1... The Wifi I bought for the outbound carried over!

I was number five on the upgrade list. Didn’t expect it (trying to use my regional before it expires this month). But the guy next to me got an upgrade just as the doors were closing. Score number 2: empty seat next to me now!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Tomorrow's inaugural bird is in the air right now as UA1543 LAX-EWR.
My daughter and I were on UA1543 LAX-EWR on 1/6... seats 11D/11F.

Last edited by laughinlab2001; Jan 7, 2019 at 4:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.