Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Carry-On Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The term to use with airline personnel is "medical assistance device".

If it will fit under a seat, or in the overhead bin, it can be carried on and will not count toward your carry-on allowance. It doesn't matter that it is larger than the published carry-on size restrictions.

If it will not fit then it can be checked free of charge and without counting toward for checked baggage allowance.

If you have any problems ask to speak to the Complaint Resolution Officer (CRO). CROs are specially trained in the requirements of, and are required to be available by, the Air Carrier Access Act.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boltsnow
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Now if I can find a carry on that can fit it. Hoping if I do they won't give me any crap about it being a couple of inches too wide. Wish they went by linear instead of exact measurements.
The dimensions reflect the dimensions of the storage spaces on the aircraft, although they use the smallest dimensions of the fleet, not all aircraft are the same.

Those 2 inches would be a problem on aircraft with bins meant to put your bags in sideways.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The term to use with airline personnel is "medical assistance device".

If it will fit under a seat, or in the overhead bin, it can be carried on and will not count toward your carry-on allowance. It doesn't matter that it is larger than the published carry-on size restrictions.

If it will not fit then it can be checked free of charge and without counting toward for checked baggage allowance.

If you have any problems ask to speak to the Complaint Resolution Officer (CRO). CROs are specially trained in the requirements of, and are required to be available by, the Air Carrier Access Act.
Leaving this Weds. and was wondering what the chances are of "asking" when I check in if I could bring my case for my dialysis machine to the gate and have them take it from there and put into the cargo hold. Less chance of them banging it around behind the scenes and also less chance of it ending up in a different state by mistake.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The term to use with airline personnel is "medical assistance device".<br /><br />If it will fit under a seat, or in the overhead bin, it can be carried on and will not count toward your carry-on allowance. It doesn't matter that it is larger than the published carry-on size restrictions.<br /><br />If it will not fit then it can be checked free of charge and without counting toward for checked baggage allowance.<br /><br />If you have any problems ask to speak to the Complaint Resolution Officer (CRO). CROs are specially trained in the requirements of, and are required to be available by, the Air Carrier Access Act.
<br /><br />Leaving this Weds. and was wondering what the chances are of "asking" when I check in if I could bring my case for my dialysis machine to the gate and have them take it from there and put into the cargo hold. Less chance of them banging it around behind the scenes and also less chance of it ending up in a different state by mistake.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by boltsnow
Leaving this Weds. and was wondering what the chances are of "asking" when I check in if I could bring my case for my dialysis machine to the gate and have them take it from there and put into the cargo hold. Less chance of them banging it around behind the scenes and also less chance of it ending up in a different state by mistake.
IMhO: The "banging" of gate checking to me seems far worse then checking it at initial check-in. Depending on the airport (not all jet bridges have the conveyor system), sometimes its "slid" down the jetbridge door.

YMMV

Good luck, and remember. If there is a hiccup, loss or damage, talk to your dialysis provider. They have systems in place to help you with travel.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:49 am

I am an Emergency Room Physician and I a few years back had a patient present to ER after the TSA at their home airport confiscated their APD (automated peritoneal dialysis) because it tested positive in their bomb sniffing machine for explosives because of the iodine used in the process, heck the patient told me that patient was lucky to travel at all after the machine beeped.

As the patient's dialysis center was not part of the major dialysis chains they were unable to help the patient and without having a prescription from the patient's physician none of the local dialysis centers would help the patient either, so the patient came to the ER to see if we could help.

I gave the patient a prescription and upon the hospital routine follow the next day, it was reported back that a dialysis center near the patients hotel hooked up the patient once the patient had my script, so be aware, that even if the airline cooperates, TSA may not.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.