Medical Carry-On Question

Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Medical Carry-On Question

Going to FL in July and I am a home dialysis patient. The machine that I use is slightly larger then the carry on specs for United. The length & Height are good but the width is 16" or so. This is life saving medical equipment and I would like to bring it as carry on because I know how luggage is handled when out of sight.

Would anyone know if I would be able to bring it on because what I use it for and if so are there any protocols that I should follow with contacting United ahead of time? Any suggestions for who exactly to ask for or what to discuss would be appreciated. First time traveling with this and of course pretty nervous that something might go wrong.

This is the machine that is used. The actual measurements are 19L X 16.6W X 9H
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In general, medical equipment is widely accepted and does not count against your carry-on limit. You do not have to contact United ahead of time.

However, if you're still concerned, you can call United’s accessibility desk at 1-800-228-2744.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jan 21, 2018 at 11:18 am
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Quote from UA website --- "Portable dialysis machines--- Portable dialysis machines cannot be used on board the aircraft, however, qualified customers with a disability using these devices are permitted to carry them on board provided they can be stowed in the passenger cabin consistent with applicable TSA, FAA and other regulations governing carry-on luggage. These machines are not included in the maximum number of allowable carry-on items or checked bags. If the device is a size or shape that is unable to fit in the cabin, it can be checked in and transported in the cargo hold free of charge."

Last edited by Two Bee; Jan 21, 2018 at 1:33 pm Reason: exact quote from UAL website re dialysis machines
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
You may not have a problem. You may have a problem because they may decide that you don't need the machine on the flight, only at the destination, and, therefore, not exempt from usual carry-on limitations. Although the machine is about carry-on size, it could become much bigger if you use the manufacturer supplied box.

What I would do is to be prepared to forfeit your carry-on, except for a purse or briefcase (small personal item) and carry the machine as your main carry on or be prepared to check-in your main carry-on suitcase, if you choose to bring it to the gate.

There are two ways to approach it. Try to survive or assert what one believes to be their legal right and be firm (knowing there may be consequences). That is one's personal choice.

I would not check it in unless you feel you can get a replacement at the destination by the next day. Another possibility is to see if such machine can be rented in Florida

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jan 21, 2018 at 1:06 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
You may not have a problem. You may have a problem because they may decide that you don't need the machine on the flight, only at the destination, and, therefore, not exempt from usual carry-on limitations. Although the machine is about carry-on size, it could become much bigger if you use the manufacturer supplied box.

What I would do is to be prepared to forfeit your carry-on, except for a purse or briefcase (small personal item) and carry the machine as your main carry on or be prepared to check-in your main carry-on suitcase, if you choose to bring it to the gate.

There are two ways to approach it. Try to survive or assert what one believes to be their legal right and be firm (knowing there may be consequences). That is one's personal choice.

I would not check it in unless you feel you can get a replacement at the destination by the next day. Another possibility is to see if such machine can be rented in Florida

Please read the post just before yours. It is a quote (though not formatted as a quote) from this UA page.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ies/other.aspx
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Oh, the above link and post above mine was cross posted (substantially edited 2 minutes before my reply, while I was writing).

So that answers the question.

I would
1. print the link so that you can show the gate agent that portable dialysis machines are allowed on board.
2. Consider not carrying much else on board. Even though you can legally assert that you can bring it aboard along with a carry-on suitcase and a briefcase/purse and an umbrella and reading material and food for the flight and a CPAP machine and a service animal, it is sometimes better to fly under the radar and slip your way into your seat. One way would be to carry the dialysis machine and a small personal item. That way, you can strap your briefcase or purse on your shoulder and carry the machine with two hands. It's up to you.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Baze
Please read the post just before yours. It is a quote (though not formatted as a quote) from this UA page.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ies/other.aspx
Thanks Baze --- Fixed it! ^
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Now if I can find a carry on that can fit it. Hoping if I do they won't give me any crap about it being a couple of inches too wide. Wish they went by linear instead of exact measurements.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The issue is not whether the item may be carried on, but whether it is of a size consistent with the poorly-written rule which would be far better if it stated the exact maximum dimensions.

As it is written and if it is strictly interpreted, UA's carry-on size limits are published to FAA and then become enforceable as FAA rules. OP says that the unit is "slightly" larger than those limits and will require a case beyond that. Will it be too large under the rules.

If the bag is within size limits, also pay attention to the size of the aircraft. OP says he is going to Florida, but does not say from where. On smaller aircraft, the bag may simply not fit.

Contrary to advice above, I would contact UA and ask to speak with the "Accessibility Desk." Have the exact dimensions of the item in its case. Include handles, wheels and whatever else might protrude. If the item will fit and is within UA's rules, ask that the appropriate entry be made in your PNR notes.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

If the bag is within size limits, also pay attention to the size of the aircraft. OP says he is going to Florida, but does not say from where. On smaller aircraft, the bag may simply not fit.
From EWR on a 737-800 craft
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by boltsnow
From EWR on a 737-800 craft
Unlikely to be subbed with a -175 or somesuch!

Just call UA once you have the total dimensions of the medical carry-on and make certain that those will not disqualify the item. If not, have the PNR notes entered and they will be there for any questioning GA.

In the event that you do run into an issue on departure, simply ask to have a Complaints Resolution Officer called or paged. UA is required to have one on duty during all service hours. At EWR there will be a CRO physically present. At smaller stations, the CRO may be located elsewhere but available by phone. A CRO can deal with the issue in short order. No need to carry print outs of rules and the like. Just escalates the situation without results.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:50 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would contact UA and ask to speak with the "Accessibility Desk." Have the exact dimensions of the item in its case. Include handles, wheels and whatever else might protrude. If the item will fit and is within UA's rules, ask that the appropriate entry be made in your PNR notes.
This.

An entry in a PNR from the "Accessibility Desk" once stopped a debate with a gate agent right in its tracks; the debate was over a newer model POC that had been recently approved by the FAA (like that month) but had not been added to UA's official list yet.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The issue is not whether the item may be carried on, but whether it is of a size consistent with the poorly-written rule which would be far better if it stated the exact maximum dimensions.
As a medical device, it is exempt from carry-on restrictions.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As a medical device, it is exempt from carry-on restrictions.
I wouldn't say exempt. One airline says " and may exceed the standard carry-on dimensions as long as they can be safely stowed in the cabin of the aircraft. " which would probably preclude an MRI or iron lung because those are way too big. Don't laugh, there are still about a dozen people using it.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I would check it, I am quite familiar with that specific peritoneal machine. It's awfully awkward and heavy. And considering the need for sterility, I would never want that to see the inside of an airplane.

you will be especially doomed if you are on an UX flight.

Talk to your dialysis provider, especially if it is one of the majors (davita, fersenius, etc) most have off the shelf programs where they will send in equipment to your destination.

​​​​​​Finally, if there are any travel hiccups, each of the majors have contingency plans if you have a delay or issues while in transit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.