Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
From my personal experience, I suspect PE will be a winner for UA, but a loser for us elites.

My wife's company permits PE for 8+ hour flights. So, on business, she always flies PE for those flights, despite her UA status. She, like I, fly UA on personal travel because E+ is markedly better than E and we're not prepared to pay the $800+ premium for PE. But, with the densification, the equation changes, especially combined with what seems to be a reduction in the premium required for PE. So her next trip will be using BA's LGW-OAK service where you can combine E and PE in different directions, and doing so requires a premium of only about $300.

The other interesting point is how much PE products vary at the moment. There are some that are very good (eg Norwegian, Virgin) and some which are mediocre (eg BA). The intriguing thing is that a) the premium for the better products seems to be holding and b) if anything, there is some move towards retrofitting existing PE products with better versions.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Just curious, but which of those carrier that have had it for so long are flailing about bemoaning the cannibalization of their J products? I certainly haven't seen those reports.
I believe TK is in this category.

​​​​​​​
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by spin88
In that era, no other airline offered E+,
VS and BR offered a distinct Y+ product “in that era.” Both in markets served by United. BA came a bit later,
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by airzim

I believe TK is in this category.
To its credit, TK had an excellent PE product based on what was essentially a previous-generation business class seat. Certainly in a different category from what PE products were at the time and continue to be today. Pair this with an aggressively-priced business class with hard product that was already beginning to lag competitors and it's not difficult to see how TK's Comfort Class may have negatively impacted J demand. I also don't believe TK's pricing and revenue management was sophisticated enough to generate the kind of premium their PE product needed versus standard economy, given its low density and large cabin footprint; even considering TK's favorable cost structure. TK PE almost became a de facto *A Gold seating area, as I experienced several times.
sbm12 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
From my personal experience, I suspect PE will be a winner for UA, but a loser for us elites..
Maybe it will be a loser for GS/1K, but for Plats and Gold, how so? We don't play the GPU lottery.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
"No, it is real."

Like the IAD Polaris Club UA originally announced? I'll believe it when I see it.

Just a reminder of what UA said about Polaris in 2016: "A total of nine lounges are slated to open in airports worldwide: Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York/Newark, San Francisco, Washington Dulles, Hong Kong, London Heathrow and Tokyo Narita. The U.S. locations will open in 2017, with international locations becoming available starting in 2018."

PE can be really good. I like AF's and BA's. But as to UA's, it is too soon to review something that does not exist and may not exist for a long time.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2018 at 2:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
To its credit, TK had an excellent PE product based on what was essentially a previous-generation business class seat. Certainly in a different category from what PE products were at the time and continue to be today. Pair this with an aggressively-priced business class with hard product that was already beginning to lag competitors and it's not difficult to see how TK's Comfort Class may have negatively impacted J demand. I also don't believe TK's pricing and revenue management was sophisticated enough to generate the kind of premium their PE product needed versus standard economy, given its low density and large cabin footprint; even considering TK's favorable cost structure. TK PE almost became a de facto *A Gold seating area, as I experienced several times.
I think a military coup, mass arrests, a falling Turkish economy, and a more and more repressive government has more to do with people electing to skip Turkey as a connection point. Three years ago I would have had no issues connecting in Turkey, today, no way. Much of TK's J traffic was connecting fares, my guess is that a PE like product is better suited for most of the (relatively smaller) turkish domestic middle class market.

I do think it is important to realize the income level, and the total number in each market who can pay air fares at particular levels, impacts heavily product demand. For example, Kirby was talking about how the coastal markets have much higher revenue premiums for United than its mid-con hubs. I say "well dugh": the median family income in SF/San Mateo/Santa Clara is $115,000. Marin is slightly higher, and Contra Costa and Alameda County are not far behind. The greater Detroit area? Well it's median family income is $56,142. Metro Atlanta? $56,850 (a 2014 figure).
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:39 am

I think a military coup, mass arrests, a falling Turkish economy, and a more and more repressive government has more to do with people electing to skip Turkey as a connection point. Three years ago I would have had no issues connecting in Turkey, today, no way. Much of TK's J traffic was connecting fares, my guess is that a PE like product is better suited for most of the (relatively smaller) turkish domestic middle class market.
TK was walking back Comfort Class long before the Turkish political unrest. By 2012 they were already accepting 77W deliveries without PE and officially killed off the product in 2016.

If TK ever went back to a PE product (I think they'd wait until it was more widely adopted along its key traffic flows, especially by a competitor like EK), it'll be a smaller, more dense cabin than its prior Comfort Class product.
sbm12 and zeer0 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I scanned through the 24 pages, so sorry of this has been asked already...
I only want to know how GPUs will work. Will we need to buy PE (which would be the equivalent of W) to UG to J? Or Buy E and only able to UG to PE? How is AA handling it?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by chavala
I scanned through the 24 pages, so sorry of this has been asked already...
I only want to know how GPUs will work. Will we need to buy PE (which would be the equivalent of W) to UG to J? Or Buy E and only able to UG to PE? How is AA handling it?
The short answers are nobody knows, nobody knows, and they still haven’t decided. In the short term the general expectation is that GPUs could clear from W to J.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
With this logic, if I buy a W to Y class ticket, I can select a PE seat?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:04 pm

Fly posted on another thread (re 787-10 certification) that the UA version would only have 42 J, all between doors 1 and 2. If correct, since the 787-10 is 18' longer (another 6-7 rows of Y) United is going with a much less heavy J on this plane. Either they are already getting less J sales (or better put are having to deeply discount J so that less of it will help keep up yields) or they expect to get less J sales with PE.
I guess that explains why Delta's new A350 files with only 32 J seats, all between doors 1 and 2. Losing J sales for years - forced to deeply discount it.

Reality is the plus-sized UA premium cabins on international were a nice outlier that benefited the discount flier, a holdover from the 80s and 90s. While DL and AA have gone to much lower J:Y ratios over the last 10 years. Partially because there's a lot more premium cabin capacity international to Asia than there used to be, which has compressed the fares.

I hope UA keeps a higher J:Y ratio than AA/DL (which the 787-10 seems to vs the DL A350) but not holding my breath.

Separately funniest thing on that call was Kirby saying several times about how they changed the *Dallas* - Sao Paolo frequencies last fall.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
If they retrofit planes with the regularity they are with Polaris then we are years and maybe a decade away from the intended fleet from having PE.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
P fares are reserved for C across the network. Most likely UA will introduce a PE fare similar to LH (G E N)
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Separately funniest thing on that call was Kirby saying several times about how they changed the *Dallas* - Sao Paolo frequencies last fall.
It sounded to me like he was saying Dulles, and this was just a transcription error.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.