Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by geometry
Amazon.com Airline... I would gladly pay $1,000 yearly membership to join. Can't be any worse than today's sorry excuses for U.S. domestic airlines.
From recent experience, be careful what you wish for - they promised you'd be there in two days and you get there two weeks later
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
From recent experience, be careful what you wish for - they promised you'd be there in two days and you get there two weeks later
true... but I get a free 1-month extension of my Prime Air membership, right? Prime Economy class
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:54 am

Not just putting more seats on planes, but flying smaller planes has really reduced airlines’ costs in the past few decades. Gone are the days of flying DC-10s on one-hour hops to medium-sized midwestern cities from a hub just to keep the plane in the air between west-coast or international banks. Now those short-hops are 737s or RJs, while the west coast flights are 737s and A320s.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Not just putting more seats on planes, but flying smaller planes has really reduced airlines’ costs in the past few decades. Gone are the days of flying DC-10s on one-hour hops to medium-sized midwestern cities from a hub just to keep the plane in the air between west-coast or international banks. Now those short-hops are 737s or RJs, while the west coast flights are 737s and A320s.
I loved flying 747-200s in first class on British Airways and DC-10s in first class on Lufthansa on really short flights from Philadelphia(USA) to Montreal(Canada) back in the day. They are the short US-Canada legs of TPAC flights to LHR and FRA.

They even served a meal for such a short flight. Not to mention the fact that a first class ticket on a 3-class widebody was about the same as what I would have paid for an Amtrak or U.S. airline full coach ticket.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by sbm12
Absolutely reduces CASM.
We were taking about overall costs, not CASM. As you well know CASM is a derived metric used by analysts to gauge an airline's efficiency. But as a matter of course adding seats can't possibly in and of itself reduce costs. What it does is increase revenue per flight.

Pedantic lecture over.

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Great point. Smaller planes definitely reduce overall cost.

Now let's get back on topic!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by ijgordon

I used to be a staunch defender of the 752, in business class, as it was similar to the "private cabin" feel of a 747 UD (though without the side bins for storage and the shelf
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've only been in the J cabin of the 752 once and I immediately felt the same thing.

Also because the 2-3 layout would do strange things with the aisle if it really is going to be better seat width.
Remember the shift in the aisle between the 2 x 2 F cabin and the 2 x 3 Y cabin on the DC-9 and MD-80?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I’d do it too, but would probably give up the first time they Uber me in a the trunk of a car for the last 10 miles.

I wonder if they’ll really follow through on this idea. It doesn’t appeal to me.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
We were taking about overall costs, not CASM. As you well know CASM is a derived metric used by analysts to gauge an airline's efficiency. But as a matter of course adding seats can't possibly in and of itself reduce costs. What it does is increase revenue per flight.
Only if they sell the seats. If we want to get stupidly pedantic then adding seats doesn't change revenue at all. Selling them does.

Also, you're the one ho brought up costs per passenger, referencing meals and such.

Separating absolute costs from the cost to carry a passenger is a stupid way to look at airline expenses. It certainly doesn't address the reality of the changing economics of operating an airline over the past 50 years.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:31 am

Only if they sell the seats. If we want to get stupidly pedantic then adding seats doesn't change revenue at all. Selling them does.

Also, you're the one ho brought up costs per passenger, referencing meals and such.

Separating absolute costs from the cost to carry a passenger is a stupid way to look at airline expenses. It certainly doesn't address the reality of the changing economics of operating an airline over the past 50 years.
airlines seem to be too worried about selling a product to someone who *needs* to travel...

if I'm running an airline company, I will start to figure out how to sell seats to people who have no need to travel, but are willing to pay top dollars money for my product. (like how people are willing to spend almost double the money on smartphones or laptops just because the have Apple logos on them)
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

airlines seem to be too worried about selling a product to someone who *needs* to travel...
That's because those are the people buying the tickets.

if I'm running an airline company, I will start to figure out how to sell seats to people who have no need to travel, but are willing to pay top dollars money for my product. (like how people are willing to spend almost double the money on smartphones or laptops just because the have Apple logos on them)
Good thing you're not in charge. Your airline would quickly find itself bankrupt.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by boat9781

​​​Just because PE worked for many carriers doesn’t mean it’ll work for UA. PE ultimately results in a loss of E+ seats (see DL A350) and has the propensity to cut down on elite benefits for top tier fliers (again see DL E+ policies). And the J cabin could be reduced. Perhaps UA, in the short term, can see the revenue balance on an aircraft shift for the better, but that’s not acknowledging any potential book away factor or Premier member share shift. I’m not against PE but am not convinced that an airline has to offer or be everything to every customer. Just like UA defers to ANA for Asia F, defer to LH for PE.
Your point about reducing the J cabin to accommodate PE may well be reality and going under the radar. Obviously the vast majority of PE seating will be from E+.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I loved flying 747-200s in first class on British Airways and DC-10s in first class on Lufthansa on really short flights from Philadelphia(USA) to Montreal(Canada) back in the day. They are the short US-Canada legs of TPAC flights to LHR and FRA.
Not sure I follow your outline. IIRC, LH never operated DC-10s in their pax fleet, nor do I remember flights from US/CAN to LHR/FRA routing via TPAC ..... ??? ....
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1P
Lufthansa did have DC-10:
Last DC-10 Flight With Lufthansa - Airliners.net
Lufthansa Fleet of DC10 (History) | Airfleets aviation

There is a New York-Philadelphia flight op by Lufthansa mentioned in here, maybe that's what geometry was thinking of? That, or the YUL-PHL was a different year.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ental-network/
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by LXFlyer
Lufthansa did have DC-10:
Last DC-10 Flight With Lufthansa - Airliners.net
Lufthansa Fleet of DC10 (History) Airfleets aviation

There is a New York-Philadelphia flight op by Lufthansa mentioned in here, maybe that's what geometry was thinking of? That, or the YUL-PHL was a different year.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ental-network/
This was in the early 1990s.

The LH flight operated PHL-YMX-FRA. (YMX, not YUL) It was on a DC-10. They served a small warm meal(on a tray) in business class after leaving PHL.

BA operated PHL-YMX-LHR using 747s. They served a nice semi-warm snack in first class on the short PHL-YMX leg.

I loved taking PHL-YMX and back on both airlines, since they had the right to sell tickets on these short hops. However, it was a real pain getting from YMX into downtown Montreal.

Sometimes I would talk BA PHL-YMX and then return on LH YMX-PHL. (or vice versa) Like I said, fares in first and business class on those short flights were extremely cheap back then.

Looks like I'm not the only one nostalgic about these YMX-PHL flights... someone even saved the tickets and posted them on the internet! Check out the LH business class ticket that he posted... only $135! See pic below: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8b/3f...b7a548ea73.jpg

(sorry, I know this is getting off-topic, but I was just responding to another reply)

Last edited by geometry; Feb 19, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Your point about reducing the J cabin to accommodate PE may well be reality and going under the radar. Obviously the vast majority of PE seating will be from E+.
If J cabins are full of people who paid a full fare that covers the incremental price per square foot of a J seat plus the cost of Polaris service, then this would be a concern.

If J has a lot of FF'ers who upgraded into it, however, than I suspect airlines would rather sell that space in smaller chunks for cash, for the same reason they would rather sell a TOD upgrade rather than giving it to a FF'er.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.