Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aircraft change to 1-class UX, but booked in F - now in E-, Options? Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Aircraft change to 1-class UX, but booked in F - now in E-, Options? Refund?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
It may not be SOP for UA given it's all AC segments (I'm not sure on policies), but could you ask to be put on a UA TATL option out of EWR or IAD that would give you both the connector and long haul in business, or is the destination you're going to only served by AC via YUL? I had a similar situation with a 016 UA ticket but all Copa flights that had a close in schedule change where I lost my J seat on one of the segments due to being sold out, and ended up re-routing on a UA itinerary that was a much higher price originally - didn't take long at all when I called and was never asked to pay anything.. so it essentially was treated the same as a UA schedule change in that regard.
My final destination is LHR (London), so there may be other options(ie. connection through IAD). I will look at alternative flights and reach out if it makes sense. Thank you for this idea.

Update : There is a very similar flight that is routed through EWR. Any recommendations on how to approach the phone call?

Last edited by fortwrestler; Sep 10, 2019 at 9:19 am
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kevin Delawder
Update : There is a very similar flight that is routed through EWR. Any recommendations on how to approach the phone call?
"My travel was impacted by a schedule change, and my booked class of service is no longer available... would it be possible to change to a different itinerary?" (if positive noises, continue, if not "oh, I see... I need to think about it" and HUCA)

"Actually, I had an idea for an alternative.. could we go via EWR on UAxxx and UAxxx?"
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:19 am

I tried the "My travel was impacted by a schedule change, and my booked class of service is no longer available... would it be possible to change to a different itinerary?" approach and was told "The schedule change happened on the Air Canada flight. We can change it but fare difference will apply." I booked the entire trip through United.

Sounds like HUCA
Old Dec 15, 2019, 5:42 pm

I never replied to this post, so I wanted to update incase anyone else comes looking.

I spoke with United and they were very quick to offer alternative routes free of charge. Since there was a schedule change, United waives the fees.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:00 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Currently scheduled to fly R/T TPA-ABQ (via IAH) in February. When the Feb schedule was loaded the IAH-ABQ (and return ABQ-IAH) leg was downgauged from an E175 to E145. The flight times were changed as well. I can route through DEN instead with the ABQ-DEN leg on a CR2.

The "issue" at hand isn't the schedule change or the flight times. Rather that when I initially booked the ticket I booked F the whole way (P class) and now whether I stay on my current itinerary or choose to go through DEN I will not have an F cabin. I booked F mainly to take advantage of the PQP promotion not the current service levels.

Maybe this is more of a question for the "consolidated compensation" thread but being that I am no longer going to be in F, can I get some sort of compensation? The pricing for the mixed cabin route has actually increased by about $15USD over what I paid.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st3
Maybe this is more of a question for the "consolidated compensation" thread but being that I am no longer going to be in F, can I get some sort of compensation? The pricing for the mixed cabin route has actually increased by about $15USD over what I paid.
You can likely get a refund for the downgraded leg(s), but you will likely not earn any PQP (or bonus) for the amount you get refunded.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 2:56 pm
st3

Originally Posted by jsloan
You can likely get a refund for the downgraded leg(s), but you will likely not earn any PQP (or bonus) for the amount you get refunded.
The overall fare has increased keeping in mind that the original flights no longer exist so I wonder how they would even be able to derive a refund amount?
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st3
The overall fare has increased keeping in mind that the original flights no longer exist so I wonder how they would even be able to derive a refund amount?
The refund would based on a prorated amount of the general fare difference between economy and first class on the TPA-ABQ route, which appears to be $209 each way. The fact that the current price is higher shouldn't have an impact. IAH is roughly halfway between TPA and ABQ, so I'd expect to be able to get a refund of about half of the route's difference, or roughly $100 each way. (UA's actual calculation is rather opaque, so this is just a rough guide).
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:34 pm
st3

Originally Posted by jsloan
The refund would based on a prorated amount of the general fare difference between economy and first class on the TPA-ABQ route, which appears to be $209 each way. The fact that the current price is higher shouldn't have an impact. IAH is roughly halfway between TPA and ABQ, so I'd expect to be able to get a refund of about half of the route's difference, or roughly $100 each way. (UA's actual calculation is rather opaque, so this is just a rough guide).
Gotcha. Without the breakdown of each leg I won't know the cost difference until I call them up. Guess I will give them a buzz to see what I can possibly extract, I will need to move the flights anyway.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:19 am

Paid for 7/24 United First (Z), Itinerary Changed to Economy (Y)

Hi all,

We booked EWR-TVC round trip 7/24-7/31 and paid for Z and chose seats in the first two rows. Today we received an email that our itinerary had been changed (by about 45 minutes in each direction, no problem) but that our ticket class is now Economy (Y) and our seats have been moved back to the middle of the plane. Do we have any recourse?

One complicating factor is that the new flights are all Economy Plus/Economy, there is no First Class section. We paid for first class to have more space because we are nervous about flying for the first time during COVID.

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I imagine your aircraft was changed to a regional jet with a single cabin , i.e. no First.

Do you mind connecting? There are options through ORD with First all the way. You can ask to be changed to one of those.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:26 am

We have young kids so we'd prefer to just fly Economy rather than have to connect. But do we have recourse for all the extra $ we spent on First?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can request a refund for the difference. I'm not sure how they'll calculate it, but it might be less than you'd hope. Alternatively, you can look at the cheapest economy fare available now, and if that's satisfactory, request a full refund and rebook.
sexykitten7, jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:53 am

Thanks! Yep, we just requested a full refund (and they didn't give us any trouble, probably because they can charge more for the new reservation now). But it is very sneaky that they don't voluntarily offer anything after downgrading the class.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by redondo821
Thanks! Yep, we just requested a full refund (and they didn't give us any trouble, probably because they can charge more for the new reservation now). But it is very sneaky that they don't voluntarily offer anything after downgrading the class.
Of course, the refund is the best option.
You cannot accuse computer to be sneaky. At least, you had been notified for the change of aircraft type. Otherwise, you would be surprised at airport if you did not babysit your reservation.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.