Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA policy on 3rd carry-on items and underseat space

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA policy on 3rd carry-on items and underseat space

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Question UA policy on 3rd carry-on items and underseat space

On a mainline (A319) flight I had stowed my one and only bag overhead.

My seatmate arrived with 3 items. One roller bag, which fit overhead. One purse and one box, both of which she placed in front of her feet - until a FA walked by and said those needed to be stowed.

The FA explicitly told her to place one item under the seat in front of her and the other item under the seat in front of me.

I've had seatmates in the past who helped themselves to space under the seat in front of me, and I've told them, "I think this is my space," and they've always relinquished it.

But if an FA actually tells my seatmate to help themselves to the space under the seat in front of me, then I'm at a loss. Should I have spoken up for myself?

And since when can you board with three items? Does a box - approx 2" x 10" x 20" - not count?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by davie355
... But if an FA actually tells my seatmate to help themselves to the space under the seat in front of me, then I'm at a loss. Should I have spoken up for myself? ....
I would have (of course, that presumes I have only one item in the OHB).

... And since when can you board with three items? Does a box - approx 2" x 10" x 20" - not count?
UA's policy is pretty clear --
For Non-Basic Economy customers
Most travelers can bring on board one full-sized carry-on bag plus one personal item free of charge.
A purse is considered a personal item.

Was the third item purchased at the airport?
You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit:
  • Jacket or umbrella
  • Reading material
  • Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
  • Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
  • FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
  • Diaper bag
  • Breast pump
  • Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)
But the reality is enforcement of oversized bags and two many items is spotty

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 6, 2018 at 2:29 am
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But the reality is enforcement of oversized bags and two many items is spotty
Spotty is right.
I find -over the last few years- the UA policy of carry on items disregarded more and more by passengers, and hardly ever enforced by UA. Pretty sure they will have to address this pretty soon.
(And don't get me started on backpacks.....too many times being hit in the head sitting down when a passenger decides to turn around JUST as they are next to my isle seat.)
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: 3 MMer
The FA explicitly told her to place one item under the seat in front of her and the other item under the seat in front of me.
At which time I would have said to the F/A, "That space that you just gave away is where my feet are going to go for the duration of this flight! You'd better find somewhere else to place the 3rd item that my seatmate brought on board!, as I AM NOT RELINQUISHING THE SPACE THAT I PAID FOR!"

I have been struggling with Plantar Fasciitisfor over a year, and there would be NO room for any further discussion - PERIOD!!!

As I mentioned many times, F/A's just make up things as they merrily fly around the happy skies, and could care less if you are comfortable, or not. I would have suggested that the F/A find room in the private closet where they hoard their crap, and a few jackets, up-front!
awayIgo and FlyingNone like this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I carry a small Cpap bag, which is a medical device and it is not counted against the carry on limit of 2. Im also very considerate of my fellow travelers and try to consolidate so I dont have to use my cpap as my third item.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I always use the space in front of me for my briefcase as long as I'm not in a bulkhead. I find people are either ignorant or just selfish when they load up the overhead bin with jackets/small bags, purses etc. Your primary space is the under the seat in front of you.

Also for the love of God DON'T close the overhead bins until everyone is on board! This is one of the worst airline policies, that you close it when it is "full". Well what happens? Yes the last few people go hunting for overhead space and have to open everything. Why close them until all are on board, people can see what is possible and what isn't.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
This is actually a little shocking to me. Could it be that the FA assumed the two of you were traveling together? I can't imagine another instance where this would be acceptable. If I were ordered by a FA to give up my space for a neighbor, I'd first warn them both that I'm not responsible for any damage to the other passenger's item, and I'd certainly file a complaint with UA afterward (which I've done maybe 2 times in about 15 years as a regular UA customer).
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I would just say (politely and with a smile), No, sorry, thats my space and leave it at that.
I also think the FA must have thought you were together, although I did read about this same thing happeneing on another thread a while back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.