Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A confirmed SDC has a 24-hour window and can be a different day.
STANDBY is an airport only function and by rule is only the day of travel -- a more limited feature.
Totally understand. Very grateful for the 1K desk folks for helping me out. Now we are just waiting and hope for 2 seats available for us to get home. Otherwise, we will head back to hotel and try our luck for tomorrow.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:22 pm

Help understanding whether to do same day flight change?

Hi:

I'm pretty inexperienced with all the quirks of UA/MileagePlus so apologies in advance if my question seems very rudimentary.

I'm currently UA Gold and ticketed to fly EWR -> SFO on Tuesday, Sep 4 2018 in fare class G.

I'd like to extend my trip a few days and leave on Friday, Sep 7, 2018.

It seems like I have a two ways to do this:

1.) I could pay $15 + a change fee of $200 to make this change right now,

--or--

2.) I could wait until 24 hours before my flight and use the free same day change perk of UA gold to move my flight 1 day. Repeat this process each day until I've extended my trip to Sep 7.

My questions:

q1.) Is option #2 above allowed by United?
q2.) Could I run into a situation where my fare class (G) is sold out and I end up paying a fare difference that is larger than the current cost to make this change now ($15 + $200) ?
q3.) Any advice from you UA experts on how you would deal with this as a lowly Gold

Assuming option 2 is allowed and assuming that I won't run into any weird situation where I am stuck without a flight, that seems like it would be the way to go... right?

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ice799
I wouldn't call it "allowed" but it can absolutely be done.
q2.) Could I run into a situation where my fare class (G) is sold out and I end up paying a fare difference that is larger than the current cost to make this change now ($15 + $200) ?
Yes. G is the lowest non Basic Economy fare, and the days after Labor Day are very heavy air travel days, so you are likely to see lots of flights G0. On the flip side, UA has so many daily flights EWR-SFO there's a reasonable chance you'll be able to pull this off.
q3.) Any advice from you UA experts on how you would deal with this as a lowly Gold
Use the UA App to make the changes.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I could wait until 24 hours before my flight and use the free same day change perk of UA gold to move my flight 1 day.
It doesn't quite work that way. Both your original flight and the one you want must be within 24 hours. So, to push it one day will require at least two changes. Plus, there's always the chance there won't be any flights to switch to.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... q1.) Is option #2 above allowed by United?
Exactly 24-hour changes are not possible -- 10-15 minutes less than 24 hours is the theoretical max -- 23 hours is more realistic. But there are nearly hourly flights on that route
... ...q2.) Could I run into a situation where my fare class (G) is sold out and I end up paying a fare difference that is larger than the current cost to make this change now ($15 + $200) ?
Yes this could happen, especially if there are irrops. But you do have multiple flight options
BTW, at that point, the fare change may be more than $15 but the change fee will be $0 (if in the 24-hour window)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Hi:

I'm pretty inexperienced with all the quirks of UA/MileagePlus so apologies in advance if my question seems very rudimentary.

I'm currently UA Gold and ticketed to fly EWR -> SFO on Tuesday, Sep 4 2018 in fare class G.

I'd like to extend my trip a few days and leave on Friday, Sep 7, 2018.

It seems like I have a two ways to do this:

1.) I could pay $15 + a change fee of $200 to make this change right now,

--or--

2.) I could wait until 24 hours before my flight and use the free same day change perk of UA gold to move my flight 1 day. Repeat this process each day until I've extended my trip to Sep 7.

My questions:

Assuming option 2 is allowed and assuming that I won't run into any weird situation where I am stuck without a flight, that seems like it would be the way to go... right?

Thanks!
answering your questions:

q1: UA doesn’t disallow you from continually using SDC, but obviously, that isn’t the intent. YMMV.

q2: yes, could absolutely run into a situation where the fare increase could be more than $215. Especially since you’re in the lowest [non basic economy] fare bucket, and on a hub-to-hub PS flight. My guess is it would probably be pretty difficult to find the flight you want at G class, but that’s going to be a judgement you make based on how much risk you are willing to take

q3: honestly, if you know you need to be on a flight Friday instead of Tuesday, I’d just buck up and pay the change fee knowing you’ll be on the flight you want. Again, that’s going to be your call, based on, among other things, the risk you are willing to take. But say there is a storm the day before, with a couple of flights on your route cancelled - flights could be full the day you really want to go, and if this happens before you are able to schedule the flight you want, you’re toast.

The way i think of SDC is it’s nice option to have when you want to move your trip, but not if you need to. If you want to leave Friday, but are prepared to leave on your original flight, then SDC is a great option. If you have to leave on Friday, not so much. I don’t assume I can use it all the time, especially these days of record load factors on key routes.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:44 pm

Responding to two folks:

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. G is the lowest non Basic Economy fare, and the days after Labor Day are very heavy air travel days, so you are likely to see lots of flights G0. On the flip side, UA has so many daily flights EWR-SFO there's a reasonable chance you'll be able to pull this off.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
q2: yes, could absolutely run into a situation where the fare increase could be more than $215. Especially since you’re in the lowest [non basic economy] fare bucket, and on a hub-to-hub PS flight. My guess is it would probably be pretty difficult to find the flight you want at G class, but that’s going to be a judgement you make based on how much risk you are willing to take
What if I am OK with taking a route with stops? In other words, if I don't mind trading my EWR -> SFO flight for, say, EWR -> [LAS / ORD / IAH / others] -> SFO instead would that increase my chances of being able to do this?

Sounds like it is sort of a dice roll, so still thinking this through.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I suspect you can pull it off. UA has so many daily flights EWR-SFO, I'd expect at least one to have G. For example, looking at tomorrow, which is a Friday, two flights (UA497 and UA1738, both 772s) have ample G. But yes, there's an element of rolling the dice.

The other thing you may encounter is a lengthy delay which will get you a free change. The delays into SFO have been horrible recently due to ATC.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Responding to two folks:

What if I am OK with taking a route with stops? In other words, if I don't mind trading my EWR -> SFO flight for, say, EWR -> [LAS / ORD / IAH / others] -> SFO instead would that increase my chances of being able to do this?

Just a word of caution that a day or two of thunderstorms prior to your intended travel can make things much more difficult. Thinking of it as a dice roll is the right mindset.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Yes, I would think that would definitely increase your odds. ^
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Not sure whether to put this question here or in the Guide to Upgrades on UA.

My question is about Paid F (via fare-up before OLCI) SDC'ing to an earlier flight in F.

Yesterday flying ATL-EWR, I was on UA690 (last flight of day at 9:30pm) but arrived at the airport in time to make UA 674 at 7:25pm. At the time the flight was full in both cabins, so I went to the UC and had them put me on the Standby list (was #1 on the list). After refreshing the seat map a few times, I noticed that someone had bailed and there was an F seat open on the 7:25pm. The Lounge Agents (can't call them dragons, since they were by far two of the nicest lounge agents ever) said I could definitely have the seat - I just needed to go to the gate. At the gate, I encountered one of the rudest, most unpleasant GA's I've had to deal with (and I'm based in EWR, so that's saying something). She said I couldn't SDC for that seat and that the entire Upgrade list would have to clear before I would. I could downgrade to a Y seat if I wanted (I declined, saying I just wanted the F seat). I called the 1K line to confirm, and that agent agreed with the UC agents and even tried putting me in that F seat. But in the middle of the process, she said, "oh, someone's in your record." I checked the UA app, and the GA (possibly hearing me on the phone) had cleared me into a Y seat and upgraded the first person on the Upgrade list. When I politely mentioned that a 1K agent had said that Paid F seat SDC's take precedence over CPU's, she said (paraphrasing) that the 1K agent was wrong. So I have 2 UC agents and 1 1K agent saying a paid F passenger can SDC to an open F seat and 1 GA saying you can't.

Anyone know the actual answer, and if the GA was wrong, can anyone cite the rule in case this happens again? And full disclosure, I've been #1 on the CPU list and seen an open F seat go at the last minute to an SDC, and just accepted that that's the way it is. (By the way, I was able to get my original F seat back, but it would have been really interesting if someone had grabbed that seat in the few minutes it was showing open.)
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Not sure whether to put this question here or in the Guide to Upgrades on UA.

My question is about Paid F (via fare-up before OLCI) SDC'ing to an earlier flight in F.

Yesterday flying ATL-EWR, I was on UA690 (last flight of day at 9:30pm) but arrived at the airport in time to make UA 674 at 7:25pm. At the time the flight was full in both cabins, so I went to the UC and had them put me on the Standby list (was #1 on the list). After refreshing the seat map a few times, I noticed that someone had bailed and there was an F seat open on the 7:25pm.
SDC and Standby are two separate beasts. In order to SDC, you'd need availability in your particular fare class. You might also need availability on the underlying economy fare class being used to price your F ticket -- UA isn't clear on that one way or the other; the app doesn't enforce it, but sometimes agents do.

So I have 2 UC agents and 1 1K agent saying a paid F passenger can SDC to an open F seat and 1 GA saying you can't.
Without knowing flight inventory, it's impossible to say who was right. The presence of an empty seat does not automatically mean that there was inventory for SDC.

Anyone know the actual answer, and if the GA was wrong, can anyone cite the rule in case this happens again?
For standby, the GA was, more or less, correct. All passengers waiting for a seat on the plane end up on the same standby list, and generally upgrades clear before standbys do. Standby F passengers are not generally accorded the priority status that a displaced F passenger (e.g., a misconnect / rebooking after cancellation / etc.) would -- but even then, upgrades can be processed before standbys are.

As for SDC -- if there was the requisite open inventory, and check-in wasn't yet closed (prior to T-30?) -- either the 1K agent or the lounge agents should have been able to SDC you. There would have been no reason to go to the gate. Therefore, I'm guessing that there wasn't actually any inventory.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:21 am

The Lounge Agents (can't call them dragons, since they were by far two of the nicest lounge agents ever) said I could definitely have the seat - I just needed to go to the gate.
And that was wrong. As jsloan explains, if the seat had been available to you for a free SDC, the UC agents could have cleared you into it. Otherwise, you're standing by, and stand-by is for an economy seat.

You're lucky you got your original F seat back.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
...Therefore, I'm guessing that there wasn't actually any inventory.
Good learning experience for the future. Know what fare code you're booked in (both before and after the upfare) and when seeing an open seat ask specifically if there's inventory available.

If the 1K agent was willing to give me the seat, I would guess that inventory was available, but after the fact now. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Kacee
And that was wrong. As jsloan explains, if the seat had been available to you for a free SDC, the UC agents could have cleared you into it. Otherwise, you're standing by, and stand-by is for an economy seat.

You're lucky you got your original F seat back.
Good to know, and yes, I was lucky. Once I was on the standby list (even verbally saying I was only interested in an F seat), if an agent cleared me into Y, I imagine I couldn't claim an involuntary downgrade if I couldn't get my original seat back.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 24, 2018 at 11:54 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good learning experience for the future. Know what fare code you're booked in (both before and after the upfare) and when seeing an open seat ask specifically if there's inventory available.

If the 1K agent was willing to give me the seat, I would guess that inventory was available, but after the fact now. Thanks.
1K agent might have been willing to extend you a favour and change your fare class to grab the seat. It happens on occasion, but it is indeed a favour. Water under the bridge, in any case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.