Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
SDC question and multiple tickets

I must have asked this before, and I know the formal answer is "no".

Let's say I have two separate tickets, both on 016 stock:
CCC-BBB and BBB-AAA.

Has anybody has success SDC (without IRROPS!) from CCC-AAA?

Does the answer change if CCC is after the journey starts (ie, it is BBB-CCC-BBB/BBB-AAA)?

Does the answer change any more if the tickets are nested and: AAA-BBB-AAA and BBB-CCC-BBB and the SDC removes the non-connection connection point on the return journey? AAA-BBB/BBB-CCC-AAA?

Does the answer change even more if CCC (above) is in Japan (like,say, NRT) where rules like to be followed and AAA is an expensive place (like, say SFO) and BBB is not so much (like, say, LAX) for a set of tickets where end-on-end ticketing appears to be disallowed? =)

For those that have success.... how?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Will probably get merged into the SDC thread.

Rule on SDCs are pretty simple from this perspective - if you are on two tickets, you can't SDC from origin or destination of ticket 1 to destination of ticket 2. Maybe you could find an agent to do it, but I'd guess they'd have to trick the system into even allowing it. Obviously, app, etc. can't do it.

You ask about nested tickets - is this even allowed within your ticket rules? If not, while an agent might not care, I'd think that bringing this up to an agent is more likely to bring you trouble than getting what you want. YMMV.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryman554
Does the answer change even more if CCC (above) is in Japan (like,say, NRT) where rules like to be followed and AAA is an expensive place (like, say SFO) and BBB is not so much (like, say, LAX) for a set of tickets where end-on-end ticketing appears to be disallowed? =)
No, for all of the reasons that you already know and are alluding to in your answer.

Think about it from UA's perspective. "Hi, I didn't want to pay $5000 for the nonstop flight to SFO, so I bought a $2000 flight to LAX, followed by a $100 flight to SFO. Can you please let me on the SFO flight anyway?"

The only way this is going to happen is if there are IRROPS and you get an accommodating agent.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, for all of the reasons that you already know and are alluding to in your answer.

Think about it from UA's perspective. "Hi, I didn't want to pay $5000 for the nonstop flight to SFO, so I bought a $2000 flight to LAX, followed by a $100 flight to SFO. Can you please let me on the SFO flight anyway?"

The only way this is going to happen is if there are IRROPS and you get an accommodating agent.
I think for the reasons I allude to, perhaps, however, isn't one of the main draws of SDC the ability to get from an inexpensive non-stop to a more expensive direct flight "cheaply"? UA certainly allows that within a single ticket, even as they restrict the fare buckets for the non-stop. It just stinks that the fare bucket restrictions for my SFO-NRT flights tend to be restricted to >Q for one-stops, too. Usurious, that, which leads to the hypothetical question.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I think for the reasons I allude to, perhaps, however, isn't one of the main draws of SDC the ability to get from an inexpensive non-stop to a more expensive direct flight "cheaply"? UA certainly allows that within a single ticket, even as they restrict the fare buckets for the non-stop......
Avioding more expensive routings / fare rules were hardly the reasons UA created SDC and if it was the main use of SDC, SDC would disappear. It is probably a use UA tolerates if it does not become too problematic.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think for the reasons I allude to, perhaps, however, isn't one of the main draws of SDC the ability to get from an inexpensive non-stop to a more expensive direct flight "cheaply"?
Definitely not, from UA's perspective. The purpose is to grant flexibility, both as a benefit to business travelers and also as a way to have load sort itself out on the day of departure. (Here I think you mean "an inexpensive one-stop to a more expensive nonstop").

UA certainly allows that within a single ticket, even as they restrict the fare buckets for the non-stop. It just stinks that the fare bucket restrictions for my SFO-NRT flights tend to be restricted to >Q for one-stops, too. Usurious, that, which leads to the hypothetical question.
Well, yes and no. If the inventory for the nonstop flight is restricted, SDC won't get you onto it either. The only way that you can SDC onto the flight is if there's available inventory.

In fact, the vast majority of fares do not distinguish between nonstop and one-stop flights; it's just that UA tends to charge more for markets where they operate nonstop flights. That's what you're seeing in your example; it's not that inventory on the SFO-NRT nonstop is only available in Q or higher, it's that SFO-NRT fares are only available in Q or higher. And it's an important distinction, because if it were the former, then SDC could help you if they ever opened up the cheap buckets. Since it's the latter, your only option to save money would be to buy a positioning ticket (your separate SFO-LAX ticket) or to fly a less expensive airline.

One man's usury is another man's market dynamics. (And its technically not usury anyway, which is strictly a term relating to interest on a loan. ) There's zero nonstop competition on SFO-NRT, and not much on SFO-TYO, so UA/NH can afford to charge more. (The only competitive flight is JL to HND; NH isn't competitive due to the joint venture). For LAX, though, you have 3 UA/NH flights to NRT, plus 1 (NH) to HND, 1 SQ flight to NRT, 2 AA flights, one to each airport, 1 DL flight to HND, and 1 JL flight to NRT. That's a lot more seats to sell.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Definitely not, from UA's perspective. The purpose is to grant flexibility, both as a benefit to business travelers and also as a way to have load sort itself out on the day of departure. (Here I think you mean "an inexpensive one-stop to a more expensive nonstop").

Well, yes and no. If the inventory for the nonstop flight is restricted, SDC won't get you onto it either. The only way that you can SDC onto the flight is if there's available inventory.
I think that point gets overlooked in this thread. You are doing UA a favor by SDC'ing. You are moving onto seats they weren't able to sell and making room in the future in case anything happens for other passengers down the line. Sure, there are a couple times where it may hurt UA and backfire, but that is so minute and unpredictable (and for a relatively low cost to UA) that I'm surprised more airlines don't offer this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by BThumme
I think that point gets overlooked in this thread. You are doing UA a favor by SDC'ing. You are moving onto seats they weren't able to sell and making room in the future in case anything happens for other passengers down the line. Sure, there are a couple times where it may hurt UA and backfire, but that is so minute and unpredictable (and for a relatively low cost to UA) that I'm surprised more airlines don't offer this.
This. 99% of the time I will book the last flight of the day on the return for my weekly trips, regardless of cost. My thought pattern is that I want to give my client base as much of my time as possible, and if by chance we get done early, I'll try and SDC to an earlier flight, even one that might have been cheaper at booking. As much as I hate early flights, my typical pattern is out at 6am on Monday, and picking the last flight of the day for Thursday, or sometimes the earliest return on Friday. I hate this schedule, but I want to make the most of my time for the clients I meet with.

One thing that has struck me as odd though: More than once via the app I've been offered SDC options that show completely full if trying to purchase, also via flight status. Recently I took a chance on one of these and was a little shocked that I was able to switch to a flight showing as full in both cabins. My only guess is that there is some hidden/blocked inventory that UA holds for this? I've seen this about a dozen times, but only followed through and took advantage of it one time.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Aug 14, 2018 at 12:20 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:25 pm

Is there any flexibility for a 1K to do an SDC 25-26 hrs before the flight? My flight leaves at 8AM, but would love to try the day before at 6AM.

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BThumme
Not sure that is such an easy conclusion to draw.

SDC can be used to move up a flight or to move out a flight and you can SDC to a flight with more or less open seats than your present flight, it is probably more wash on load balancing -- only UA knows if it frees up more valuable space or not.

My guess, UA viewed this as a competitive benefit with no real cost to UA and it might cut down on the number of business travelers that were booking multiple same-day flight options (which did have a really negative impact on UA's load management).

And as long as the SDC abuses are minimal, UA tolerates it for the benefits (whatever those may be to UA).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by blue2007

Is there any flexibility for a 1K to do an SDC 25-26 hrs before the flight? My flight leaves at 8AM, but would love to try the day before at 6AM.

Thanks
IRROPS is your ONLY chance, and even then .... simply not eligible for SDC until 23:59 hours before departure.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by blue2007

Thanks
Nope. If your target flight is 25-26 h later than your original flight, you might be able to do SDCs twice to get to your target flight.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
IRROPS is your ONLY chance, and even then .... simply not eligible for SDC until 23:59 hours before departure.
Thanks. The 1K desk said they might make an exception, but it's based on the agent, so I guess I will have to call then and find out.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
I must have asked this before, and I know the formal answer is "no".

Let's say I have two separate tickets, both on 016 stock:
CCC-BBB and BBB-AAA.

Has anybody has success SDC (without IRROPS!) from CCC-AAA?

Does the answer change if CCC is after the journey starts (ie, it is BBB-CCC-BBB/BBB-AAA)?

Does the answer change any more if the tickets are nested and: AAA-BBB-AAA and BBB-CCC-BBB and the SDC removes the non-connection connection point on the return journey? AAA-BBB/BBB-CCC-AAA?

For those that have success.... how?
if you’re lucky enough that the UA app offers you a same day change to go NRT-SFO-LAX on the first ticket, you might be able to make it work. This would be a bit like hidden city ticketing, with the additional benefit that you can check a bag at NRT since SFO would be your first port of entry into the US. Of course, you run all of the other risks of hidden city ticketing, and definitely don’t expect a refund or any credit for the LAX-SFO flight, because that would send a very loud and clear signal that you missed your flight in the other direction intentionally.

Personally I wouldn’t do it, but if you are not a regular UA flyer and this is genuinely a one-off situation then it might work.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Can I SDC with uncleared miles/copay?

I searched the forums and didn't see an answer to a similar situation as mine. My spouse and I are traveling SFO-ORD-FCO in a few days and requested an upgrade using miles and co-pay. We haven't cleared the transatlantic flight yet although the seat map and availability is showing 5 seats/reservations available in J but zero in R. We HAVE cleared into F on the SFO-ORD flight though. Looking at the IAD-FCO flight the same day, there is 4R bucket reservations available (8J reservations available.) This availability doesn't show up if I search for SFO-IAD-FCO though and SFO-IAD appears full in front.

Can I change my miles and copay to another flight SFO-IAD-FCO vs. SFO-ORD-FCO via SDC? (I understand we would be in Y class SFO-IAD but desire Business First IAD-FCO.)

Or should we just stick with our original flights since 5 seats still show available?

Thanks,
misterfuss

Last edited by misterfuss; Aug 16, 2018 at 8:03 pm Reason: clarity and added question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.