Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com change flight link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
... Are there any workarounds to allow you to SDC to the exact same flight the day before. ...
The only realistic hope is to show up at the airport and see if an agent will do this. It is clearly outside the rules and probably going to be even more difficult with from a non-domestic location and trying for the business cabin (as upgraders may fill the presently available seats).

A more realistic approach is to do a 1-stop routing that meets the SDC requirements.

Prior discussions earlier in this thread on this may be of some help.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 19, 2018 at 2:38 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi Folks,
Are there any workarounds to allow you to SDC to the exact same flight the day before. Obviously at first glance, your ability to SDC in theory does not open until the same flight the prior is departing. There are plenty of avails, but I'm not aware of a workaround for this. Any suggestions ? My wife has a business ticket on PEK-IAD (Z) and wants to come back a day early as her work plans changed. Many thanks for any suggestions
I wouldn't count on an agent exception at PEK. If your wife has status, calling might be the better option.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Hi Folks,
Are there any workarounds to allow you to SDC to the exact same flight the day before. Obviously at first glance, your ability to SDC in theory does not open until the same flight the prior is departing. There are plenty of avails, but I'm not aware of a workaround for this. Any suggestions ? My wife has a business ticket on PEK-IAD (Z) and wants to come back a day early as her work plans changed. Many thanks for any suggestions
You can try to stand by and ask nicely. They may accommodate your wife if space available. I did it in TPE a few years ago successfully. Only question is would your wife accept an economy seat instead of business if only economy is available.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My wife has a business ticket on PEK-IAD (Z) and wants to come back a day early as her work plans changed. Many thanks for any suggestions
As others have noted, no way to do this for free except possibly standing by, and that's outside the rules.

But if this is the return, she should be able to change the ticket without refaring it, paying only the change fee.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Kacee
As others have noted, no way to do this for free except possibly standing by, and that's outside the rules.

But if this is the return, she should be able to change the ticket without refaring it, paying only the change fee.
It is the return, but United wants almost $5000 for the change. There are still 6 seats left for sale, but none in Z which is her fare class. She is 1K, but United were not even remotely interested in being helpful
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
It is the return, but United wants almost $5000 for the change. There are still 6 seats left for sale, but none in Z which is her fare class. She is 1K, but United were not even remotely interested in being helpful
I'm not sure I'd want to be the ticket agent who waived a $5000 up-fare for no reason other than the flier didn't want to pay.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
UA's CSR is following T&C of your wife's ticket. His/her answer is not what you would like to hear, does not mean s/he is not being helpful.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an aside, if inventory doesn't change, she'd have the same problem at T-25. A free SDC in Z would require inventory in Z.

She might be able to stand by, but there's a real chance of ending up in Y.

I agree that a one-stop alternative is your best bet.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There are still 6 seats left for sale, but none in Z which is her fare class.
Well that's a problem for any type of change, same day or otherwise.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
UA's CSR is following T&C of your wife's ticket. His/her answer is not what you would like to hear, does not mean s/he is not being helpful.
Well, that is half true. There are plenty of agents that will bend the rules in the pursuit of a happy customer. There are agents that while they may not manage to get you what you need, put in some effort to at least try to get it done. Lastly there are some agents that answer the phone in a bad mood, and you know that no matter what you are asking for, legal or illegal, by the rules or not, they are going to out of their way to impede your path.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
As stated by others, there is no rule that will allow one do SDC exactly 24 h earlier. I do not think that your wife will have a one-stop flight option out of PEK at T-15 to T-23 range, either. PEK-IAD is the last UA flight out of PEK. PEK-ORD and PEK-SFO leave much earlier in the day.
Good luck.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hi Folks,
Edit: sorry, I misread. I can’t think of a way to do this a day earlier. I’ll leave my response below for a day later.

there is a way to do this, but it requires some patience and some luck. Not sure which flight your wife is on, but I searched a random day in October. The PEK-IAD flight leaves at 6:25pm. There are one-stop options via ORD, EWR and SFO which leave the next day at 12:00pm, 3:35pm and 4:10pm. If there is availability in her fare class on BOTH any one of these flights, and the direct 6:25pm flight the next day, she can SDC to one of the one-stop flights, then make another SDC to the direct flight the next day once she is within 24 hours of her “new” flight.

Obviously you take a risk that fare inventory changes, but it’s still possible to do.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by poohhead80
I will fly ICN-SFO (UA892) and SFO-ATL (UA1152 redeye) with 11.5 hour layover in SFO.
I am hoping to SDC to ICN-SFO-(DEN/IAH)-ATL with 2 hour layover in SFO (taking the original ICN-SFO flight and SDC to SFO-(DEN/IAH)-ATL).
I will check two bags and I am UA Gold. My booking class is S in one PNR number.

1. I will try SDC when I check-in online for my flight. My checked bags might be an issue. Also, I am trying to SDC SFO-(DEN/IAH)-ATL 36+ hours before the departure time.
2. I will try SDC (potentially ask agents) when I drop my bags at ICN. Same issues with the above.
3. If above two attempts are unsuccessful, I will try SDC in SFO when I recheck my bags after clearing customs.
Update;
1. I tried SDC when I check-in online - Did not work
2. I tried SDC when I drop my bag at Seoul City Terminal - Did not work
3. I successfully SDCed when I recheck my bags after customs in SFO. The UA agent at rechecking counter recommended to call UA and change my reservation. So I did.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
The closer you get to earlier flights departure, the Z fare class to open may up, which might drop the cost of the change from $5k to something more reasonable? Tomorrows PEK-IAD flight is Z9, so maybe keep an eye open for the cost to drop (because Z is open) as your near the earlier flights 24h checkin time?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:04 pm

If I have a flight from DCA, will SDC options that open at 24 hours show me options departing from BWI and IAD as well?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.