Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
I disagree, because OP stated the current booking class is A. There is no A inventory on SFO-EWR, so the app is unlikely to offer it as an option.
Likely correct. I was focused on routing issues, not fare availabiilty.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I'm contemplating a one-way UA-award ticket (016 ticket with 3 segments) for NBO-ADD-LHR-ORD, where NBO-ADD and ADD-LHR segments are on Ethiopian Air, and LHR-ORD segment is on UA. My layover time in LHR is a few hours, I want to stay in LHR longer so I will want to do a SDC on this flight. Can I assume that once I have flown the Ethiopian Air segments, I can do a SDC on the LHR-ORD portion? And because this is a 3-segment ticket, do I need to call to do the SDC or can I do it online once the LHR-ORD segment is the only one remaining?

And if I end up doing a 2nd SDC and my stay in LHR ends up being over 24-hours, would there be a tax (APD) issue?.

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; May 22, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Old May 22, 2018, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. It is possible that you can do this online, but there is the likelihood that you are going to have to pay a good deal of money unless your original fare bucket is still available. Remember that you must pay any fare difference, it is only the change fee which is either waived or reduced to $75.

2. If you SDC to >24 hours, not only will you trigger APD, but you will refare as a stopover from the connection you currently have and the refare will price NBO-LHR + LHR-ORD. It is not forgone that this is more expensive than the connection, but it generally is and may be vastly so.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
1. It is possible that you can do this online, but there is the likelihood that you are going to have to pay a good deal of money unless your original fare bucket is still available. Remember that you must pay any fare difference, it is only the change fee which is either waived or reduced to $75.

2. If you SDC to >24 hours, not only will you trigger APD, but you will refare as a stopover from the connection you currently have and the refare will price NBO-LHR + LHR-ORD. It is not forgone that this is more expensive than the connection, but it generally is and may be vastly so.
1. Since OP mentioned an award ticket, the fare difference isn’t going to apply; it’ll just be a question of whether or not there is award space available.

2. While your statement is technically accurate — the APD should apply in this case, and UA should recalculate the fare as an NBO-LHR award plus an LHR-ORD award — in fact, the app is well-known for allowing stopovers that would otherwise not be allowed by the fare rules. As to whether or not the APD would be correctly recalculated, I’d defer to anyone who’s tried it. I’d be more surprised if the app got it correct than if it got it wrong.

OP: If you do not have checked luggage, you will be able to SDC on the app as soon as your ADD-LHR coupon is lifted. In theory, that could be as early as while you’re still on the ground at ADD — I don’t know whether ET’s boarding systems are real-time or if they batch the entire flight.

If you do have checked luggage, you’d need to find a UA rep at LHR to make the (first) change and to pull your bag for you. This isn’t going to be a task they’ll relish, but it is within the rules.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:45 am

Hoping to do a SDC for a redeye SFO-AUS flight 5/24 that leaves at 11:45PM and switch to a flight that leaves 5/25 sometime before 11AM. If I go to check-in for my flight this evening, will there be available flights for 5/25, or does the flight you want to switch to have to be within 24 hours of departure?
Old May 23, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kthpence
Hoping to do a SDC for a redeye SFO-AUS flight 5/24 that leaves at 11:45PM and switch to a flight that leaves 5/25 sometime before 11AM. If I go to check-in for my flight this evening, will there be available flights for 5/25, or does the flight you want to switch to have to be within 24 hours of departure?
Both old and new departures must be within 24 hours of the time of change. If you are comfortable waiting until 11AM tomorrow (5/24), and if there is inventory on the 5/25 flight, you can switch to it as SDC.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
As @fumje said, both the old and new departure times must be within 24 hours of the current time. You can go ahead and check in at 11:45pm tonight for your 11:45pm flight tomorrow, and then at 11am tomorrow you can check the "Switch Flight" option in the app and see if the SDC option for the 11am flight on Friday becomes available. Good luck! ^
Old May 23, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
OP: If you do not have checked luggage, you will be able to SDC on the app as soon as your ADD-LHR coupon is lifted. In theory, that could be as early as while you’re still on the ground at ADD — I don’t know whether ET’s boarding systems are real-time or if they batch the entire flight.

Thanks for the replies, Often1 and jsloan. And interesting info about the coupon.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
I'm contemplating a one-way UA-award ticket (016 ticket with 3 segments) for NBO-ADD-LHR-ORD, where NBO-ADD and ADD-LHR segments are on Ethiopian Air, and LHR-ORD segment is on UA. My layover time in LHR is a few hours, I want to stay in LHR longer so I will want to do a SDC on this flight. Can I assume that once I have flown the Ethiopian Air segments, I can do a SDC on the LHR-ORD portion? And because this is a 3-segment ticket, do I need to call to do the SDC or can I do it online once the LHR-ORD segment is the only one remaining?

And if I end up doing a 2nd SDC and my stay in LHR ends up being over 24-hours, would there be a tax (APD) issue?.

1. Since OP mentioned an award ticket, the fare difference isn’t going to apply; it’ll just be a question of whether or not there is award space available.

2. While your statement is technically accurate — the APD should apply in this case, and UA should recalculate the fare as an NBO-LHR award plus an LHR-ORD award — in fact, the app is well-known for allowing stopovers that would otherwise not be allowed by the fare rules. As to whether or not the APD would be correctly recalculated, I’d defer to anyone who’s tried it. I’d be more surprised if the app got it correct than if it got it wrong.

If you do have checked luggage, you’d need to find a UA rep at LHR to make the (first) change and to pull your bag for you. This isn’t going to be a task they’ll relish, but it is within the rules.
jsloan's answer is correct, but there is a nuance in that the app may actually offer you SDC before the ADD-LHR coupon is reported flown to UA. I am not sure how this is timed if/when it happens.

If it does offer and you select the option, your ticket will go into a funk and refuse to do anything until an agent fixes it. But if you must confirm the change, it may not be a bad idea to try pushing it through and leave it in limbo until you can have someone clean it up.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:07 am

I'm trying to switch to a direct SFO-PHL that is 10 hours later than what's booked, which has ~15 open seats, but none in my fare class. Big fare difference charge right now, and no clue when availability in my class may open. If it's not at least T-12h, I'm out of luck. Anything I can do to help my odds?
Old May 24, 2018, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Pray? Inventory tends to level out, but it may be too late to help.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfocdn
I'm trying to switch to a direct SFO-PHL that is 10 hours later than what's booked, which has ~15 open seats, but none in my fare class. Big fare difference charge right now, and no clue when availability in my class may open. If it's not at least T-12h, I'm out of luck. Anything I can do to help my odds?
Welcome to FT!

The only way to improve your odds is to broaden your parameters. Would you be willing to consider a one-stop alternative? If it’s nonstop or nothing, and there aren’t any other intermediate flights, there’s nothing you can do except pay the fare difference or take your original flight. However, if there’s availability on SFO-IAH-PHL, you can book that, with the intention of flying it if necessary and SDC’ing again to the nonstop if possible.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:04 am

Welcome to FT!

The only way to improve your odds is to broaden your parameters. Would you be willing to consider a one-stop alternative? If it’s nonstop or nothing, and there aren’t any other intermediate flights, there’s nothing you can do except pay the fare difference or take your original flight. However, if there’s availability on SFO-IAH-PHL, you can book that, with the intention of flying it if necessary and SDC’ing again to the nonstop if possible.
Thanks. Checking this morning, a lot of inventory has opened up on one-stop flights that wasn't available last night. Remembering from some past experience, I rebooked as SFO-IAD-PHL, since I believe it booked me into a slightly different fare class. This flight is 1h after the direct, so I can look much closer up to the departure time now, and was also hoping it might now show as as no fare difference, unfortunately now when I search for SDC, I get an error and no available flights whatsoever. The first SDC seems to be fully ticketed, so I'm not sure what's up with the search now telling me nothing is available. Will wait an hour or two and hope it clears up...
Old May 24, 2018, 7:19 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
being offered a confirmed SDC from SIN-LAX-EWR to SIN-SFO-EWR for $0, it’s a better connection and gets me to EWR earlier, while It shows that 8 seats in the business cabin are available on flight status, the seat map is grayed out, I am in an E seat on original, I called and they said airport had control. I assume taking it will
mean I get a seat, but no way of knowing which till I get to checking or the gate? Arrival would go from 10:59pm to 7:24pm, connection is shorter so probably not much time in SFO Polaris lounge anyway, but don’t think the time saving is worth having to be in a climb or be climbed over seat. Would want to know it would be in D/E before changing. Any advise?
Old May 24, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by sfocdn
Thanks. Checking this morning, a lot of inventory has opened up on one-stop flights that wasn't available last night. Remembering from some past experience, I rebooked as SFO-IAD-PHL, since I believe it booked me into a slightly different fare class. This flight is 1h after the direct, so I can look much closer up to the departure time now, and was also hoping it might now show as as no fare difference, unfortunately now when I search for SDC, I get an error and no available flights whatsoever. The first SDC seems to be fully ticketed, so I'm not sure what's up with the search now telling me nothing is available. Will wait an hour or two and hope it clears up...
SDC did not book you in a "slightly different fare class". SDC can only book you into your originally paid fare class. Even an upgraded ticket cannot be moved to the upgraded fare bucket (officially). The fact that other SDC options are no longer coming up simply means there are none available with your fare code. Hopefully the flights you are really trying to get on will be open for you. As others have said, flights tend to normalize around the 3 hour mark. This means that if the flight is not fully booked or oversold they will release the remaining F and Y inventory into most buckets. Again, depends on flight load. Y may be 9 but they won't release inventory out to K or G if the flight is near capacity.

Originally Posted by tht
being offered a confirmed SDC from SIN-LAX-EWR to SIN-SFO-EWR for $0, it’s a better connection and gets me to EWR earlier, while It shows that 8 seats in the business cabin are available on flight status, the seat map is grayed out, I am in an E seat on original, I called and they said airport had control. I assume taking it will
mean I get a seat, but no way of knowing which till I get to checking or the gate? Arrival would go from 10:59pm to 7:24pm, connection is shorter so probably not much time in SFO Polaris lounge anyway, but don’t think the time saving is worth having to be in a climb or be climbed over seat. Would want to know it would be in D/E before changing. Any advise?
If you have a confirmed ticket then you're fine. But airport control means you can't get an assigned seat until you get to the airport. And there's no guarantee you will get an "E" seat. If that's most important to you then you should change back to your original flights. However, SIN-LAX may also be under airport control now so you may not get a seat assignment on that one either.

Arrive at SIN a bit earlier than you normally would so that you have a better selection of seats available.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.