Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by fumje
With SDC, I think your check-in time is the time that you move yourself to the new flight. So you potentially could lose your place to someone with the same status and same fare who originally checked in later. That said, I wouldn't actually worry too much, but I don't have any knowledge of the typical fare distribution. I suppose if you're on a high fare or low fare, the risk of having check-in time be a tiebreaker is low, but if you're somewhere in the middle (S,T ?), perhaps it's higher.

Another caveat is to be sure that you can switch back to your original before you switch off of it.
I'm on an award (XN) fare, so pretty low, I assume, but how do I find out if it's possible to switch back before I switch off? Do I just need to see if there are still award seats available for purchase right now? Or will expert mode tell me the correct XN availability? If it says XN0, does that mean that even though I've SDCed from my original flight to a new flight, that the XN availability won't change to XN1 after my SDC?

Originally Posted by Kmxu
CPU rarely occurs because of TOD. If your new flight get your destination earlier or have nicer economy seat, you would probably do SDC. If you have an upgrade seat, you won't give that up. For most flights within 24 h, there are normally a few FC seats remaining, which may be purchased by TODers. I won't lose my nice seat for a slightly better shot of CPU. Good luck.
I have an E+ seat now, but there are other similar seats available, so I wouldn't really be giving much up as far as a preferred seat. I just don't want to risk not being able to SDC back to the flight, or losing my number 3 position, since it looks pretty good (right now) that I might get the CPU. I'm trying to SDC in order to increase my change of CPU on the new flight, but I don't know where I'll be on that upgrade list until after the SDC...
Old May 4, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I'm on an award (XN) fare, so pretty low, I assume, but how do I find out if it's possible to switch back before I switch off? Do I just need to see if there are still award seats available for purchase right now? Or will expert mode tell me the correct XN availability? If it says XN0, does that mean that even though I've SDCed from my original flight to a new flight, that the XN availability won't change to XN1 after my SDC?

I have an E+ seat now, but there are other similar seats available, so I wouldn't really be giving much up as far as a preferred seat. I just don't want to risk not being able to SDC back to the flight, or losing my number 3 position, since it looks pretty good (right now) that I might get the CPU. I'm trying to SDC in order to increase my change of CPU on the new flight, but I don't know where I'll be on that upgrade list until after the SDC...
XN won't necessarily go to 1 after you SDC away from that flight. It probably will open at some point before departure unless fully/over-sold in Y, but at that point the CPUs may already have been processed.

Perhaps if I were in your position, I'd either just wait it out or work the phones to try to get an answer without first doing SDC.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
XN won't necessarily go to 1 after you SDC away from that flight. It probably will open at some point before departure unless fully/over-sold in Y, but at that point the CPUs may already have been processed.

Perhaps if I were in your position, I'd either just wait it out or work the phones to try to get an answer without first doing SDC.
Yeah, Y doesn't look full at all...in fact, I just checked, and the loading is showing 9 for everything from Y to XN in expert mode. So, it definitely looks like I'd be able to switch back the the flight if need be. The reason for my SDC to is try to get to my connection point earlier so that I can then SDC another flight (which is booked as a separate ticket) if available. I won't be able to check in for that flight for another hour, so I'll just wait until then to see what's available. If there's nothing, then it doesn't do me any good to SDC the flight for which I'm already checked in right now. Thanks for all the help!
Old May 4, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
good luck!
Old May 4, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
good luck!
Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any SDC options for my 2nd itinerary in the app or online. I think it's because there's no same fare class availability on the 2nd segment of the routing. I kinda think that's an unfortunate "rule", because I'm not actually switching that segment, I want to keep it the same, and change segment 1. However, I understand that there has to be same fare class availability on ALL segments. I was hoping to switch segment 1 to a different time/routing that may have better CPU availability, because the 1st segment is completely full up front. Oh well!

And, to go along with that, I'm now number 1 on the CPU list for my 1st itinerary, but now it's showing business being booked full! So, it's looking like no CPU for me on either flight!

[EDIT]Change of plans...I just SDCed to the earlier flight for my 1st itinerary tomorrow...gives me a long connection there before my 2nd itinerary starts, but as of now I'm now number 1 on that upgrade list (at least for now), with 4 seats available.

And, since there was plenty of availability on this flight, I just SDCed back to my original flight to see what happened. It put me in number 2 for that flight, which I thought was 1 lower than I used to be, but I also just noticed that it changed the upgrade list and there is still 1 seat available (even though it was "booked full" a few minutes ago. So it turns out I wouldn't have lost my place in line anyway. At least in this instance, it seems to work the way I was hoping!

And, just for the record, I switched back to the earlier flight again, and am still number 1 with 4 seats still available. Here's to crossing my fingers! haha ^ [/EDIT]

Last edited by mpiotrow; May 4, 2018 at 4:53 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I have had luck this week on two completely separate itineraries using SDC to either add segments or add layover time where I was already CPU'd on one of the segments that I kept the same.

For example, I was flying east coast to the middle of the country via DEN. I SDC'd to east coast - two hubs - middle of the country while keeping my last flight to the middle of the country the same. The phone agent had to get a supervisor to help but they ultimately did what I wanted. And my CPU remained. They never "rebooked" me on the last flight.

On the second one I wanted to extend my ORD layover by an hour because I knew CPU wouldn't come through for my connecting flight. The later ORD-east coast flight had plenty of seats. So they kept my original flight "as is" (already CPU'd) and simply changed the connecting flight. Two hours later my CPU came through.

I know this is not the norm. I'm also not sure why I didn't get any push back on either ticket as I was expecting to be told "no'. But it doesn't hurt to try. And I definitely don't expect this to happen in the future.

My real issue is coming this weekend as I'm on a "P" (one of those ridiculous K fares that book into P) that I will need to SDC. The agents will be looking for "K" which doesn't exist on any flight between my cities that day but "P" is plentiful. I see a lot of HUCA in my near future.

-RM
Old May 4, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
My real issue is coming this weekend as I'm on a "P" (one of those ridiculous K fares that book into P) that I will need to SDC. The agents will be looking for "K" which doesn't exist on any flight between my cities that day but "P" is plentiful. I see a lot of HUCA in my near future.
If you don't otherwise need an agent's intervention, the app should happily ignore the K requirement.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by findark
If you don't otherwise need an agent's intervention, the app should happily ignore the K requirement.
Thanks. For the first time since booking one of these fares (and I've done quite a few this year), I was able to SDC with only "P" class required on the flight. I just did SDC actually to add a stop and collect more miles and coach on one of the flights is down to Y2B2 with all other classes zeroed out. However, "P" was available and the app let me SDC into it.

In the past this has never worked. Many flights were available with "P" and yet I couldn't SDC. A call to the 1K line said the flights had to have "K" also open to SDC onto those flights. I have hit this wall several times. But today, for some reason, it's working like a champ and how it should IMO.

-RM
Old May 6, 2018, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
For the record, I've been rolling an itinerary for 23 days and counting now. Route is SFO-DEN on an A fare so it's been pretty easy to keep pushing it out given the high frequency of SFODEN and the general availability of A inventory.

On another note, why are agents so friggen stubborn about SDCs? I was on phone with agent about separate reservation, and while I was at it, figured I'd use the opportunity to roll my SFO-DEN flight by a few hours. I gave her a set of connecting flights and she went off at me about how it doesn't comply with routing rules and that she'd have to charge additional fare. I couldn't help myself and snapped at her and said something like "what is your problem, why are you making this difficult?" and proceeded to process the SDC myself while still on the phone. When I told her to refresh her screen, she was very upset and told me she would have to revert my flights back to what they originally were because routing rules. And so she did. I hung up. 15 minutes later, I made the change again online. What is the problem with these people?
Old May 6, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by VX N281VA
For the record, I've been rolling an itinerary for 23 days and counting now. Route is SFO-DEN on an A fare so it's been pretty easy to keep pushing it out given the high frequency of SFODEN and the general availability of A inventory.

On another note, why are agents so friggen stubborn about SDCs? I was on phone with agent about separate reservation, and while I was at it, figured I'd use the opportunity to roll my SFO-DEN flight by a few hours. I gave her a set of connecting flights and she went off at me about how it doesn't comply with routing rules and that she'd have to charge additional fare. I couldn't help myself and snapped at her and said something like "what is your problem, why are you making this difficult?" and proceeded to process the SDC myself while still on the phone. When I told her to refresh her screen, she was very upset and told me she would have to revert my flights back to what they originally were because routing rules. And so she did. I hung up. 15 minutes later, I made the change again online. What is the problem with these people?
EDIT

Last edited by Marcin83; May 7, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Old May 6, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Marcin83
The more you/we make them know that we do this kind of SDC (rolling a flight >23 days, LAX-EWR-SFO, etc), the more likely is that very soon so permissive SDC will end.
Yes, please keep it on the down low.
I have definitely taken advantage of some SDC options lately, but calling in and "rubbing it in" a phone agents face is not going to work out well for the overall good.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VX N281VA
For the record, I've been rolling an itinerary for 23 days and counting now. Route is SFO-DEN on an A fare...

I gave her a set of connecting flights and she went off at me about how it doesn't comply with routing rules and that she'd have to charge additional fare.
The agent is correct. SDC is a change fee waiver; any difference in fare is still due. The automated systems often skip this check, but the agent was correct to apply it.

Also, you've been holding F inventory for three weeks with no apparent intent to fly it, and then you called attention to yourself? You should consider yourself lucky that your ticket wasn't cancelled, at a minimum.

(I really hope this post is... unserious).
Old May 6, 2018, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
OK, I'll fly it today to put an end to it. Y'all are probably right that I shouldn't be attracting attention to it.
Old May 6, 2018, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
calling in and "rubbing it in" a phone agents face is not going to work out well for the overall good.
Equivalent to calling the airline to ask about a mistake fare.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
Equivalent to calling the airline to ask about a mistake fare.
I was thinking the same the first time I read that post! I truly like the SDC opportunities of late and wouldn't like any unnecessary changes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.