Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
People are confusing SDC and changes where an agent has waived the $200+ penalty.

SDC does not permit co-terminals (I'm presuming that's what OP means by "sister") and it has other requirements. This is not to suggest that with the right agent in the right circumstances, an agent won't make the change and waive the change fee.

If you are asking for planning purposes, you have to expect to be offered the change for change fee + fare difference and then make a decision.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:41 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
To pick up where I left off (with a MID-IAH-SFO-SAN itinerary on 06-Nov and trying to do a SDC). I was educated here that a 3-segment SDC (usually?) won't work. When I checked the app at 500am on the morning of my 815am departure, a slew of $0 itineraries had opened up, but regardless of which one I selected, I got an error message (all my screenshots got wiped out...) saying something about could not complete the transaction and to call UA. So I called the Premier Desk and was told I would have to pay large add collects since my original booking was P and the new itins were Z and/or C/D. At the airport I got an *excellent* check-in agent who knew her stuff. By the time she finished, I was checked in MID-IAH-IAD-SAN and the flights now even showed up as P. Wow. Great for some of those extra PQMs I need.

Fast forward to the LAS-IAH-MID (two segment connection) trip on 17-Nov the and again the app offered a slew of $0 alternate itins, but all of them popped an error saying the transaction could be complete and to call UA. Again, I called the Premier Desk and the agent, working with the Help Desk, said there was no way to rebook any of those $0 alternates without $1000+ add collects. What's up with that error message that keeps me from completing the transaction on the app???

At the LAS check in counter I again got a cooperative agent but by that time the flights I wanted were all full.

Is there something "special" about international Itineraries that I'm experiencing? Or, what factor can/should I be aware of with my SDC attempts? Why can airport check-in agents do it but the Premier Desk, and even the Help Desk, cannot?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anandrag

Ahhh. Thanks. So it can’t be done on app but can it be done on phone? Guess will try to call again. Just wanted to check here whether whatbagent said about having NH segment on here madenit ineligible for SDC
Yes; it's ineligible for SDC per the policy. You might be able to get someone to waive that rule, given that you're connecting to the exact same NH flight, but the policy is all-UA to all-UA.

Originally Posted by 1984SW
To pick up where I left off (with a MID-IAH-SFO-SAN itinerary on 06-Nov and trying to do a SDC). I was educated here that a 3-segment SDC (usually?) won't work. When I checked the app at 500am on the morning of my 815am departure, a slew of $0 itineraries had opened up, but regardless of which one I selected, I got an error message (all my screenshots got wiped out...) saying something about could not complete the transaction and to call UA. So I called the Premier Desk and was told I would have to pay large add collects since my original booking was P and the new itins were Z and/or C/D.
Were they? If there's no P space, you'd definitely have to pay the upfare.

Fast forward to the LAS-IAH-MID (two segment connection) trip on 17-Nov the and again the app offered a slew of $0 alternate itins, but all of them popped an error saying the transaction could be complete and to call UA.
OK, so you go into the app, check in / tap on the itinerary that's already checked in, select the "Take an earlier flight" or "view alternate flights" banner, and then it gives you a bunch of options that don't actually work? When you say "$0 flights," you're talking about the buttons that say "Confirmed Seat ($0)"?

What was your fare class on this trip? Could you see that fare class when you did an advanced search? Were you connecting to the same IAH-MID flight you were already on (I remember you saying it's a once-daily flight?)

Is there something "special" about international Itineraries that I'm experiencing?
No; at least, there shouldn't be.

Last edited by jsloan; Nov 18, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
One data point regarding free SDC for *G and SDCing into p.s.: switched BOS-LAX (in Z) to BOS-SFO-LAX on the app for $0 with no issues whatsoever, although no BOS-EWR-LAX options appeared despite Z availability on BOS-EWR and EWR-LAX. Hence I suspect the app hasn't been updated to recognize BOS-SFO as p.s., but that might just be speculation on my part (also rules of the original fare didn't allow BOS-LAX via SFO, so not a fare rule issue I /think/)
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WakeTurbulence
I do believe the official policy is that SDC’s must comply with the original fare rules. In practice, it seems to be largely unenforced with the app almost always offering full Y routing options even to G fares that were supposed to be non stop routings only.
Yes, but that's really not what I was referring to. I was responding to the comment that OP might be able to SDC to a co-terminal based on the fare rules. The fare rules don't matter - you can't SDC to a co-terminal.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by anandrag

Ahhh. Thanks. So it can’t be done on app but can it be done on phone? Guess will try to call again. Just wanted to check here whether whatbagent said about having NH segment on here madenit ineligible for SDC
quick update: agent did it for me just now so all set!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:36 pm
formerly 1984SW

To pick up where I left off (with a MID-IAH-SFO-SAN itinerary on 06-Nov and trying to do a SDC). I was educated here that a 3-segment SDC (usually?) won't work. When I checked the app at 500am on the morning of my 815am departure, a slew of $0 itineraries had opened up, but regardless of which one I selected, I got an error message (all my screenshots got wiped out...) saying something about could not complete the transaction and to call UA. So I called the Premier Desk and was told I would have to pay large add collects since my original booking was P and the new itins were Z and/or C/D. At the airport I got an *excellent* check-in agent who knew her stuff. By the time she finished, I was checked in MID-IAH-IAD-SAN and the flights now even showed up as P. Wow. Great for some of those extra PQMs I need.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Were they? If there's no P space, you'd definitely have to pay the upfare.
I hope I'm not getting confused yet again. I thought that on the app, if any fare bucket in the same cabin were available, the upfare was waived. Or, are you only saying that once an agent is involved an add collect applies if there's no P space available. I was irrationally hoping that the Help Desk would know that the app behaved that way and would accommodate my change.

Fast forward to the LAS-IAH-MID (two segment connection) trip on 17-Nov the and again the app offered a slew of $0 alternate itins, but all of them popped an error saying the transaction could be complete and to call UA.
OK, so you go into the app, check in / tap on the itinerary that's already checked in, select the "Take an earlier flight" or "view alternate flights" banner, and then it gives you a bunch of options that don't actually work? When you say "$0 flights," you're talking about the buttons that say "Confirmed Seat ($0)"?
Oh, no. You mean I was doing it wrong? I was clicking on the "Change Flight" button below the recap of my itinerary on the app. When I did that, it would display several flight options with varying add collects, with several showing "$0". When I clicked on one of the schedules with "$0" in front of it to select it, when I proceeded to do the change, I got the error message saying to call UA.

What was your fare class on this trip? Could you see that fare class when you did an advanced search? Were you connecting to the same IAH-MID flight you were already on (I remember you saying it's a once-daily flight?)
I was booked in P. P was not available on the flight options offered, but Z/C/D were. Again, I thought the app waived the additional collect in such cases (and consistent with that they showed $0 as the price for the change.)

Yes, I was connecting to the same IAH-MID flight, but as I understood it, a seat still had to be available for sale on the flight in order to make the change, (which it was.) Is that understanding incorrect, as well?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope I'm not getting confused yet again. I thought that on the app, if any fare bucket in the same cabin were available, the upfare was waived. Or, are you only saying that once an agent is involved an add collect applies if there's no P space available. I was irrationally hoping that the Help Desk would know that the app behaved that way and would accommodate my change.
The upfare is never supposed to be waived except in the case of IRROPS, or if a travel waiver is in place. I'm not sure what the app is doing, but it sounds broken.

Oh, no. You mean I was doing it wrong? I was clicking on the "Change Flight" button below the recap of my itinerary on the app. When I did that, it would display several flight options with varying add collects, with several showing "$0" instead. When I clicked on one of the schedules with "$0" in front of it to select it, when I proceeded to do the change, I got the error message saying to call UA.
You were entering the flight change flow, not the SDC flow. Online flight changes have been broken for years, and when they added the ability to change flights into the app, it appears they didn't really fix anything.

Tap on "Travel options" and then look for a blue banner that looks like an ad and says something about "other flight options" or "earlier flights." (Even though it says "earlier," later flights will be available too). If you don't see that banner, it means that there aren't any SDC options currently available.

I was booked in P. P was not available on the flight options offered, but Z/C/D were. Again, I thought the app waived the additional collect in such cases (and consistent with that they showed $0 as the price for the change.)
OK, so that makes sense then. I mean, the $0 that you were seeing didn't make sense, but the upfare does. If it continues to happen, I'd try to get a screenshot, and then call web support, not the main reservation line. (Or, ask to be transferred to web support once you call the regular line). They may be able to reproduce the issue, and, if they can, they'll likely honor the price.

Yes, I was connecting to the same IAH-MID flight, but as I understood it, a seat still had to be available for sale on the flight in order to make the change, (which it was.) Is that understanding incorrect, as well?
Yes, that's correct; you still need an additional seat to sell besides your own. The reason that I asked is that I thought it may have been a contributing factor; for a long time, the app didn't show options that involved a flight you were already on. I think you've identified the issue, though.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Fast forward to the LAS-IAH-MID (two segment connection) trip on 17-Nov the and again the app offered a slew of $0 alternate itins, but all of them popped an error saying the transaction could be complete and to call UA. Again, I called the Premier Desk and the agent, working with the Help Desk, said there was no way to rebook any of those $0 alternates without $1000+ add collects. What's up with that error message that keeps me from completing the transaction on the app???

At the LAS check in counter I again got a cooperative agent but by that time the flights I wanted were all full.

Is there something "special" about international Itineraries that I'm experiencing? Or, what factor can/should I be aware of with my SDC attempts? Why can airport check-in agents do it but the Premier Desk, and even the Help Desk, cannot?
Sounds like you got an uninformed agent. The same happened to me when I made the mistake of calling the local Singapore number for United a couple weeks ago when I had trouble connecting to the Premier line.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:46 pm
formerly 1984SW

The upfare is never supposed to be waived except in the case of IRROPS, or if a travel waiver is in place. I'm not sure what the app is doing, but it sounds broken.
Darn. I could have sworn that I had read that on the app, an SDC would not incur an add collect for a change to an itinerary with a same-cabin-but-different-fare-bucket inventory. The web site? Yes. With a phone agent? Most likely. But, on the app? No.

Oh, well.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:48 pm
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Sounds like you got an uninformed agent. The same happened to me when I made the mistake of calling the local Singapore number for United a couple weeks ago when I had trouble connecting to the Premier line.
Are you saying that you think the agent on the Premier Desk should have changed my itinerary for a $0 charge/fee when I advised her I had seen it on the app as $0?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Darn. I could have sworn that I had read that on the app, an SDC would not incur an add collect for a change to an itinerary with a same-cabin-but-different-fare-bucket inventory. The web site? Yes. With a phone agent? Most likely. But, on the app? No.

Oh, well.
Afraid not. I mean, I can't speak to what you may have read , but I promise that the app requires availability in the same fare class in order to make an SDC.

Standby doesn't require fare-class availability, but SDC does. However, you can't change routing when flying standby, and it can be extremely difficult to standby into the premium cabin. They'll typically run upgrades before standby customers.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Are you saying that you think the agent on the Premier Desk should have changed my itinerary for a $0 charge/fee when I advised her I had seen it on the app as $0?
No, I was just saying that some agents don’t know much, if anything, about SDC, both on the phone and at the airport. If you’re trying to SDC, there’s same-fare availability, and the agent starts talking about fees, it’s best to politely hang up and try another agent.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Oh, well.
on the app, an SDC will not incur an add collect because it will not show any option that would require one. SDC simply waives the change fee, replaced with an SDC fee (when applicable - I.e for silver or GMs). App and web site will only show options that book into your same booking class - you need to either call or deal with an agent at the airport if you want to go
on a different flight with availability in the chain, but not your fare class. They will charge the SDC fee (waives for gold and above) as well as the fare difference.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:25 pm
formerly 1984SW

Okay, got it: For SDC, you need same fare bucket as you are currently booked on. So, the airport agents were "breaking the rules" to help me, apparently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.