Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For international flight issues, please use Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2018)

previous domestic delay / cancelled flight report threads
Consolidated cancelled delayed domestic flights [2017]
Consolidated cancelled delayed domestic flights [2016]
Consolidated cancelled delayed domestic flights [2015]
Consolidated cancelled delayed domestic flights [2014]

If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
4/18/18
UA 1960 LAX-EWR 752 delayed 3h24m due to aircraft maintenance (turned into an accidental redeye with an awful 3:58am arrival)

I need to take this flight next month and am considering UA, even as an AA loyalist and EWR hater, given the price ($800 P fare on UA vs $1,100 D fare on AA). That said, the MX track record of the pmUA 752s is giving me some doubt, especially in this instance when I have an important event in NYC first thing the next morning.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
4/18/18
UA 1960 LAX-EWR 752 delayed 3h24m due to aircraft maintenance (turned into an accidental redeye with an awful 3:58am arrival)

I need to take this flight next month and am considering UA, even as an AA loyalist and EWR hater, given the price ($800 P fare on UA vs $1,100 D fare on AA). That said, the MX track record of the pmUA 752s is giving me some doubt, especially in this instance when I have an important event in NYC first thing the next morning.
It has been the default recommendation that if you have an unmoveable, important event that you 100% must attend, it is usually wise to fly in a little ahead of time, maybe the night before, and not leave it to the absolute last minute to arrive. Even Delta and AA flights get delayed sometimes, it's not something that's unheard of in the industry. Don't set yourself up for missing your event by trying to optimize everything and assume everything will be on time.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
It has been the default recommendation that if you have an unmoveable, important event that you 100% must attend, it is usually wise to fly in a little ahead of time, maybe the night before, and not leave it to the absolute last minute to arrive. Even Delta and AA flights get delayed sometimes, it's not something that's unheard of in the industry. Don't set yourself up for missing your event by trying to optimize everything and assume everything will be on time.
Right, I'm doing just that by taking one of the 4pm-ish flights instead of one of the early 8-9pm redeyes. I'm just not a fan of getting delayed to a 7pm departure - 3am arrival, given the interruption to my sleeping schedule.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
Right, I'm doing just that by taking one of the 4pm-ish flights instead of one of the early 8-9pm redeyes. I'm just not a fan of getting delayed to a 7pm departure - 3am arrival, given the interruption to my sleeping schedule.
No one is I've noticed (maybe its a biased opinion) that SFO-EWR 757-200 delays occur more than LAX. So, I'd say you picked the right airport.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:00 pm

Friday
April 27, 2018
UA1613
18.55 departure
DEN-LAX cancelled due to operational difficulties

there is a later flight at 22.25 I think but being a Friday night it might not be much fun at DIA this evening

Additional flight added to the schedule for tonight
UA2705
22:30 departure

Last edited by Aspen; Apr 27, 2018 at 8:35 pm Reason: extra section added DEN-LAX tonight
Old May 17, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Hoping EWR-LAX is not delayed too long...plane is sitting in MCO right now due to thunderstorms. Great job UA! Have a 2.5-hour connection to LAX-SIN...better not waste much more time...
ETA: my connection to SIN is now a 45-minute connection. Works out well if everything is on time, but screwed otherwise...

Last edited by PsiFighter37; May 17, 2018 at 2:42 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Landed late(!) at LAX and was told we had no gate because an SFO-LAX flight took our spot. If LAX-SIN was not being held for passengers on this plane, we would have blown the connection. Such a stupid reason for (potentially) missing a really long flight. First time in a long time I’ve been really annoyed operationally with UA.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:33 pm
Suspended

What would u do question...I have a 40 min connection from LAX-SFO continuing to MCO (red eye)....both upgrades cleared but the LAX-SFO flights are usually late due to ATC....so as a 1K I can easily grab an earlier flight to SF and cough up my upgrade or roll the dice.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I wish to note that UA5899 RNO-SFO scheduled 0820-0934 was 5 hours delayed today. 3 hour delay was due to "waiting for the arrival of a late inbound crew" then an additional 2 hours due chronic ATC delays. So a 5 hour delay, causing most pax, including me, to miss their connections out of SFO.

I will add that UA did not hold the once a day SFO-TPE flight for me, even though they knew I would get to the gate shortly after departure time.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I wish to note that UA5899 RNO-SFO scheduled 0820-0934 was 5 hours delayed today. 3 hour delay was due to "waiting for the arrival of a late inbound crew" then an additional 2 hours due chronic ATC delays. So a 5 hour delay, causing most pax, including me, to miss their connections out of SFO.

I will add that UA did not hold the once a day SFO-TPE flight for me, even though they knew I would get to the gate shortly after departure time.
I just got to ONT as I’m flying on Alaska to PDX, but as usual the only flights that were not running on schedule was UA5286 and UA5366. UA5286 is currently showing a 3:30 delay (ETD is now 8:10PM instead of 4:40PM, however EF is showing a wheels up time of 8:59PM) and they mailed it in for the late flight (8:15PM departure) as that was cancelled.

Also of note, it shows on EF:

5286/18MAY
F ONT/ETD 810P L03.30 AWAITING FLT 5422
F SFO/ETA 930P L03.17
D CRC//SFO NO HOTELS SEE GG SOS PLZ CHECK CXN
D EWU/ONT/PROPOSED FAA ATC WHEELS UP 859P☨SFO GDP☨

SKED ONT ORIG 440P GTD 201 SHIP 7105
SFO 613P TERM GTA 77A
​​​​​​​
Old May 18, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Landed late(!) at LAX and was told we had no gate because an SFO-LAX flight took our spot. If LAX-SIN was not being held for passengers on this plane, we would have blown the connection. Such a stupid reason for (potentially) missing a really long flight. First time in a long time I’ve been really annoyed operationally with UA.
hmmmm me thinks that UA may have been trying to earn a few extra Brownie points. Over the past two weeks or so, UA37 has had a delayed departure to avoid arriving early and, thus, violating the curfew at SIN.

Today’s flight currently shows an ontime departure, but arrival 34 minutes early. I bet that within an hour before departure, the flight will be delayed by 15 to 25 minutes.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....I will add that UA did not hold the once a day SFO-TPE flight for me, even though they knew I would get to the gate shortly after departure time.
Your RNO-SFO arrived at SFO gate at 1:55PM (F84) and your SFO-TPE left the gate at 1:29PM (G100) -- allowing 15-20 minutes to disembark and seats are released on international flights 30 minutes prior to departure and door closes about 15 minutes prior -- you missed by more than an hour. You had not landed at SFO when the TPE was pushing back. Unfortunate but not really close.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Your RNO-SFO arrived at SFO gate at 1:55PM (F84) and your SFO-TPE left the gate at 1:29PM (G100) -- allowing 15-20 minutes to disembark and seats are released on international flights 30 minutes prior to departure and door closes about 15 minutes prior -- you missed by more than an hour. You had not landed at SFO when the TPE was pushing back. Unfortunate but not really close.
You are absolutely correct. However often UA 871 departs 1/2 hour to 1 hour late, and still arrives on time or early. Today UA871 left on time at 1:29 pm and is estimated to arrive 1 hour 9 minutes early. Many regional flights today were delayed into SFO due to ATC. UA 871 spends the night at TPE. The flight crew do not fly the next day; they return 2 days later. Is it asking too much that UA wait for connecting pax, especially when my flight RNO-SFO was delayed by UA failing to have a flight crew available?
Old May 18, 2018, 11:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Is it asking too much that UA wait for connecting pax, especially when my flight RNO-SFO was delayed by UA failing to have a flight crew available?
90 minutes, yes. 5-10 minutes maybe
Asking 300+ fellow passenger to wait 90 minutes for 1 passenger does seem to be a bit too much.

As has been discussed many times, missing an assigned departure slot, is likely to lead to additional delays.
And on longer flights, the crew will be pushing duty limits.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:34 am

You are absolutely correct. However often UA 871 departs 1/2 hour to 1 hour late, and still arrives on time or early. Today UA871 left on time at 1:29 pm and is estimated to arrive 1 hour 9 minutes early. Many regional flights today were delayed into SFO due to ATC. UA 871 spends the night at TPE. The flight crew do not fly the next day; they return 2 days later. Is it asking too much that UA wait for connecting pax, especially when my flight RNO-SFO was delayed by UA failing to have a flight crew available?
WineCountryUA - I think we may have to agree to disagree on this point.

I am facing 14 hours in coach SFO-TPE , as opposed to business class on UA, in a few hours. This does tend to concentrate the mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.