Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Weather (January 4, 2018 - January 5, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver: Northeast Weather (January 4, 2018 - January 5, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by oghsjbabbitt
I have a family of 5 traveling SAN-ORD-MIA tonight and the ORD-MIA has been canceled due to weather (assuming this storm). Any tips on rerouting?

All four ORD-MIA flights went today...maybe you mean tomorrow's morning flight?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by Bonehead

Yes I apologize. UA 1738
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonehead

Perhaps, OP would take the redeye SAN-ORD tonight and tomorrow morning's ORD-MIA flight would be cancelled.

Will SAN-IAH-MIA option be available? or SAN-DEN-MIA?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by mlin32
The news media needs to stop hyping up this storm, it's making me unnecessarily edgy and worried about my Friday flight to EWR with an unlinked int'l connection.....
What is the answer? Don't mention the storm? I mean, Charleston SC has 5 inches of snow. Florida has measurable snow. It's moving up the coast. If this isn't something way out of the norm, I don't' know what is. The 10pm local update just moved NYC into 8inches, they're just reporting the news. Major storms DO happen all the time, and why is reporting them hype? I don't get it.??
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Perhaps, OP would take the redeye SAN-ORD tonight and tomorrow morning's ORD-MIA flight would be cancelled.
Exactly. They are offering a resched to fri at this point.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:33 pm

My sister got on the phone and got san-lax-iah-mia tomorrow
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:59 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by findark
No. If changed via the waiver, it will rebook into the original class of service. Confirmed upgrades are rebooked in the upgraded cabin (positive space) in the case of actual IRROPS, but only on own metal.
I don’t agree this this. My experience - and recent at that - is that United will protect upgrades in the case of voluntary change with a waiver in place on UA metal. This obviously would not apply to non-UA metal.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by In The 216

I don’t agree this this. My experience - and recent at that - is that United will protect upgrades in the case of voluntary change with a waiver in place on UA metal. This obviously would not apply to non-UA metal.
of course, as it was written uptread, on UA metal AN AGENT will protect in the higher cabin . If you use the auto-rebook on the website it will default to the purchased lower cabin ... so in these cases always re-book via an agent. No premium cabin on partner metal, although some successful cases on JV flights (LH, LX) are known to happen if UA rebooks into P or higher as part of the re-booking process and re-issues the ticket.
In The 216 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by In The 216

Was standing next to an R class upgrade at GVA check-in. After some discussion with his supervisor, I heard her say, "re-book them in their original class".

It was a nightmare at GVA this AM for the EWR flight. Good luck to everyone tomorrow.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:24 am
Suspended

On the MCO-BUF flight via EWR ON 1/6.....should be interesting
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Stuck at IAH. Flights before 4:20pm cancelled. There's 4:20pm, 6:32pm, 8:05pm (showing cancelled), 9:45pm left.

I got myself on the 9:45pm flight. If I book standby via the app for one of the 2 earlier flights - do I still retain the confirmed reservation on the 9:45pm flight?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum + Marriott Platinum
suggestions on what to do - I am on the last flight of PBI-EWR tomorrow (1/5), UA1935. At the moment, it looks like the wind will have died down by the time my flight is scheduled to land, but the plane is previously routed on EWR-PBI earlier in the day, so who knows if that flight will even take off. Further, I just booked a flight for another employee for Monday on PBI-EWR, and the outbound pricing is sitting in the $600-$1000/seat range for Economy, and a number of flights are sold out.

So, I can do the following:
sit and wait it out, and either I fly home Friday night, or I get re-booked to who knows when if the flight is cancelled
preemptively re-book myself for a Saturday flight, but, looking at the weather, i am not that much more sure that those flights are any more certain to arrive!

ETA: suppose i should add that i actually want to get home, I have a sick fiance to take care of and as a new home-owner, i am terrified of something happening to the house while i am not there to care for it/fix it.

thoughts?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by afurlong
suggestions on what to do - I am on the last flight of PBI-EWR tomorrow (1/5), UA1935. At the moment, it looks like the wind will have died down by the time my flight is scheduled to land, but the plane is previously routed on EWR-PBI earlier in the day, so who knows if that flight will even take off. Further, I just booked a flight for another employee for Monday on PBI-EWR, and the outbound pricing is sitting in the $600-$1000/seat range for Economy, and a number of flights are sold out.

So, I can do the following:
sit and wait it out, and either I fly home Friday night, or I get re-booked to who knows when if the flight is cancelled
preemptively re-book myself for a Saturday flight, but, looking at the weather, i am not that much more sure that those flights are any more certain to arrive!

ETA: suppose i should add that i actually want to get home, I have a sick fiance to take care of and as a new home-owner, i am terrified of something happening to the house while i am not there to care for it/fix it.

thoughts?
Have you checked your options out of FLL and MCO?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miasmal
Stuck at IAH. Flights before 4:20pm cancelled. There's 4:20pm, 6:32pm, 8:05pm (showing cancelled), 9:45pm left.

I got myself on the 9:45pm flight. If I book standby via the app for one of the 2 earlier flights - do I still retain the confirmed reservation on the 9:45pm flight?
If you standby with a confirmed booking w/ the app, you will keep the 9:45 PM flight. However the 6:32 PM flight is the only one you can standby for as you can't standby a cancelled flight.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum + Marriott Platinum
@transportprof - check as far as what? are there flights from those airports that don't have planes previously flying a route that's likely to be delayed/cancelled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.