Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Weather (January 4, 2018 - January 5, 2018)

Travel Waiver: Northeast Weather (January 4, 2018 - January 5, 2018)

Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:14 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,814
Travel Waiver: Northeast Weather (January 4, 2018 - January 5, 2018)

Now a Northeast Travel Waiver up as well!
  • Travel agent information:Travel agents may make voluntary changes or may voluntarily self-refund (where allowed) by entering waiver code 7JCUU in the OSI field (ARC reporting agencies) or ticket designator box (BSP reporting agencies).​
  • ​​Refunds:
    Travel agents may self-refund tickets under the following conditions:
    • Original flight is canceled
    • Original flight is delayed and is estimated to arrive at the final destination more than 2 hours after originally scheduled arrival time
    ​​​
edcho is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:49 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FRA/SXB
Programs: FB Gold
Posts: 1,820
The news media needs to stop hyping up this storm, it's making me unnecessarily edgy and worried about my Friday flight to EWR with an unlinked int'l connection.....
mlin32 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:16 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,814
Originally Posted by mlin32
The news media needs to stop hyping up this storm, it's making me unnecessarily edgy and worried about my Friday flight to EWR with an unlinked int'l connection.....
They were actually pretty restraint from what i've seen (minus CNN). They still don't know what exactly is going to happen either -- the models are having a difficult time even this close to the storm. NOAA is dropping dropsondes (you normally hear about these in hurricanes) for better model analysis for the 4 PM Eastern model runs. Hopefully we should know much more by 5 PM.
edcho is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:45 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BOS<>NYC<>BKK
Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Posts: 4,357
Delays will be predicated as much by the wind as snow. Strong wind substantially reduces runway capacity (cross-wind runways can't be used). While snow accumulations are still being estimated, the wind is a near certainty through Friday.
wxguy is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:19 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Posts: 116
Forgive me if this has been answered...
A friend has a confirmed GPU upgrade seat, on a ZHR-EWR flight during the travel waiver. Does UA protect the upgraded seat with other *A partners, (Swiss for example) if she were to proactively make a change during the waiver?

Thanks in advanced

Last edited by FobbyFlyer; Jan 3, 2018 at 3:20 pm Reason: clarification
FobbyFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:24 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 12,450
Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
....A friend has a confirmed GPU upgrade seat, on a ZHR-EWR flight during the travel waiver. Does UA protect the upgraded seat with other *A partners......
I don't think UA even protect confirmed GPU for its own flights, let alone partners. New flight will be based on your paid class and you need to apply GPU, and hope it clears, again. Furthermore, I don't think LX even accept UA GPU. Only LH does even though LH owns LX.
TerryK is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:29 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 14,162
Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
Forgive me if this has been answered...
A friend has a confirmed GPU upgrade seat, on a ZHR-EWR flight during the travel waiver. Does UA protect the upgraded seat with other *A partners, (Swiss for example) if she were to proactively make a change during the waiver?

Thanks in advanced
No. If changed via the waiver, it will rebook into the original class of service. Confirmed upgrades are rebooked in the upgraded cabin (positive space) in the case of actual IRROPS, but only on own metal.
findark is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Posts: 116
Thx for the quick replies guys!
FobbyFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:39 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by wxguy
Delays will be predicated as much by the wind as snow. Strong wind substantially reduces runway capacity (cross-wind runways can't be used). While snow accumulations are still being estimated, the wind is a near certainty through Friday.
And it appears they started proactively cancelling earlier today. My EWR-CLT tomorrow cancelled a few hours ago, and a quick glance shows almost everything to BOS + LGA cancelled, and all non-mainline at EWR cancelled.
CruiserCLE is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
Posts: 58
I have an IAD BTV RT Jan 5-7. Does the waiver allow me to change both legs or only the First?

thx
saltydog75 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:17 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BDL/NYC/BOS
Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Posts: 1,748
Originally Posted by saltydog75
I have an IAD BTV RT Jan 5-7. Does the waiver allow me to change both legs or only the First?

thx
it shouldn't be a problem, even if booked as one-ways. if an agent is unwilling, HUACA.
riphamilton is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:42 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 31,570
Originally Posted by mlin32
The news media needs to stop hyping up this storm, it's making me unnecessarily edgy and worried about my Friday flight to EWR with an unlinked int'l connection.....
Media aside, I would worry about UA and their proactive cancellations. Tomorrow UA has 21% of their WW flights proactively cancelled ... Delta 4%. It is not unusual for UA to cancel up/down the East coast many days after storms, even minor ones. UA might allow you to re-route and combine tickets; I would seriously consider right now calling and seeing if you can resolve the Friday thing now while they may still have some seats available via other routings.
cfischer is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:16 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PIT
Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Posts: 9,798
Originally Posted by cfischer
Media aside, I would worry about UA and their proactive cancellations. Tomorrow UA has 21% of their WW flights proactively cancelled ... Delta 4%. It is not unusual for UA to cancel up/down the East coast many days after storms, even minor ones. UA might allow you to re-route and combine tickets; I would seriously consider right now calling and seeing if you can resolve the Friday thing now while they may still have some seats available via other routings.

The cancellations are great for VDBs. Flying SYR-EWR on the 5th, because every SYR-EWR was cancelled tomorrow, our wide open flight just filled up.
dinoscool3 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:09 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: UA, Hilton HHonors
Posts: 10
I have a family of 5 traveling SAN-ORD-MIA tonight and the ORD-MIA has been canceled due to weather (assuming this storm). Any tips on rerouting?
socal619 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:22 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: UA MM
Posts: 1,573
The only real "hyping" here is perhaps the news media's current obsession with "bombogenesis" (a term which as been around weather circles for some decades). It's been pretty clear for a few days that this is going to be a major weather event for metro Boston (and the coast north of here up into Maine). The trend in the model runs has been a gradual westerly motion of the track, and this has continued through this afternoon. Further west means less of the action is out at sea, with more on land. Metro Boston is expecting up to 18 inches of snow (most forecasts have at least 10 as a minimum) and winds in the 35 mph+ range. Boston proper is under a blizzard warning. And Logan is east (closer to the storm) than metro Boston. I'd be rather surprised if we done get some closings at Logan tomorrow. With snow falling a couple inches per hour under those winds, keeping the runways operative is going to be rather a challenge.
MojaveFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.