Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sigh - How much is the W Upgrade Lottery worth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sigh - How much is the W Upgrade Lottery worth?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boogie711
HAHAHAHA!!!

I tried to piece it together in multi-city. YYZ-ORD-LHR on the 5th, LHR-EWR-YYZ on the 11th.

The upgradeable fare according to the website is only $6,111 CAD.

Six. Grand.
The "Upgradeable Fares" search is completely broken. Search by fare class and put in W,V,Q,H,U,E,M,B,Y. I got the same fare as ifndark with confirmable upgrade space on ORD-LHR and LHR-EWR. If the short leg is operated by UA or United Express and has a first class cabin, you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade on that leg. If it's operated by AC, you won't be eligible for an upgrade on that leg. Either way, your overwater upgrades would clear immediately on the US$1280 fare if you apply a GPU.

Originally Posted by lightbulbs
Has anyone tried booking a lower fare class ticket and then within a few days of flight upfaring to W or V if seat availability in J still looks good? Also, within 24hr if your place on the upgrade list on a W fare is not looking good, can you have them upfare to V to see how it changes your place in the upgrade list? Not sure how upfaring within T-24 impacts a reservation with a GPU already applied (i.e. does the limitation of not being apply GPUs within 24 hours restrict ability to do this if the GPU has already been applied earlier on a W fare?)
You may be able to convince an agent to allow you to use GG BUYUP to switch fare classes without a change fee, but it's it or miss; technically, the change fee waiver only appears to apply if you are actually trying to change to a higher class of service, not just position yourself for a possible upgrade. However, in order to make this work, not only would you need availability in W or V or whatnot, which is far from a guarantee, you'd also need a valid fare. In most cases, trying to change the outbound leg of a flight will trigger a re-price to current fare levels and advance purchase requirements. So, you could easily find yourself in a position where there are upgrades available but the cost to acquire them is too high to be worth it.

And, if you're trying to jump up the visible list -- if there's a fare available for purchase in V or Q or whatever, a good agent should be able to preserve your GPU waitlist request when you re-fare. However, since people don't appear on the visible list until they check in, it may be an exercise in futility -- you might still end up behind 20 people that don't check in until the airport, and now you've paid extra money and you're still sitting in Y.

It's far better to do what's been discussed in this thread -- search for the international flights by looking just at R inventory for UA gateway cities, and then do an origin-destination (e.g., YYZ-LHR) search on UA in the appropriate fare class to buy the ticket. (Note that while multi-city search should work, it's not necessary, and it doesn't matter at all whether or not you see R space available when you're doing this origin-destination search. As long as you select the overwater flights that had R availability in your initial searches, those upgrades will clear immediately when the GPU is applied.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But if the website doesn't give me that option from YYZ, for example, do I need to run around every time and manually find flights from different hub cities and then try to piece together an itinerary? How do I even prepare to price that? And do I need to call it in?
That's what I do now as a Plat looking for miles/money UG at purchase, and over the past 2 years, my success rate has been 90%.. It's a PITA sometimes, but when I was 1K and had GPUs, that's the only way I was able to use them.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While at times you might get the change fee waived, it is just as likely there will be a significant change fee for either of these change plus a fare differential.
This. Did it last September returning from Europe, and while I got the change fee waived, I had to pay the fare differential.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
Like this one? 5-March outbound and 11-March inbound; both TATL segments have R space.

Thank you.

So from what I'm learning... the key is to search for W, make sure Advanced Mode is on, and then just manually peg through all the options until I find one that has a "R" fare availability?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:07 am

Thank you.

So from what I'm learning... the key is to search for W, make sure Advanced Mode is on, and then just manually peg through all the options until I find one that has a "R" fare availability?
Members also use the chrome script that sbm12 created, with expert mode turned on, it puts the key inventory fare classes in red/green like R and PN without having to click the uncollapse button on each potential flight. This way you do a search and you'll be able to quickly scan through the list and see where there's R
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you.

Two searches:

1 - search transoceanic legs, looking for R space using Advanced Mode. You don't need to worry about searching for a particular fare class -- just search ORD-LHR, EWR-LHR, IAD-LHR, etc...
2 - Once you've identified the long flights you want to take in step 1, search your actual flight path using W,V,Q,H,U,E,M,B,Y. (If you just put "W," you won't get a result when the cheapest upgradeable fare is a V, for example. If you search for all upgradeable classes this way, the system will return the price for the cheapest out of all of the fares you select). Then, go ahead and make your purchase from the "Selected Fare Class" column, being sure that the overwater flights are the ones that you want.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I had this same debate with myself earlier this year for travel LAX/SYD/LAX (for my current trip). The UG was not coming through so I changed to PE on NZ. So much better than E+ on UA. If in doubt that the GPU will come through and the flight is long enough I will take the true PE every time. NZ PE provides the amenity kit and PE meal, but their new PE seats are not nearly as nice as the old space saver seats but leaps and bounds better than E+ on UA.

I also flew NZ LAX-LHR in July in PE (and had the space saver seats). So much better, and less expensive than E+ on UA.

As it relates to UA fares: "W" vs "K" - If the fare differential is more than $550 I take the K fare and apply the miles and the co-pay. That way if the UG does not come through I keep my money for the E+ travel.

Full disclosure: I was able to use all my GPUs in 2017.
Premium Economy means wider seats + increased pitch, but not lie-flat?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by physioprof
Yes, think like domestic F but on a long-haul widebody. It's a similar level of service too.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I was 1 for 6 on my GPUs.. Ended up burning the other 5 on domestic flying for myself and friends. My experience as a 1K was very disappointing.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Two searches:

1 - search transoceanic legs, looking for R space using Advanced Mode. You don't need to worry about searching for a particular fare class -- just search ORD-LHR, EWR-LHR, IAD-LHR, etc...
2 - Once you've identified the long flights you want to take in step 1, search your actual flight path using W,V,Q,H,U,E,M,B,Y. (If you just put "W," you won't get a result when the cheapest upgradeable fare is a V, for example. If you search for all upgradeable classes this way, the system will return the price for the cheapest out of all of the fares you select). Then, go ahead and make your purchase from the "Selected Fare Class" column, being sure that the overwater flights are the ones that you want.
This right here, in one form or another, is what I have been doing for as long as I can remember. You’ll be surprised how quickly this process becomes routine, and then wonder how it took you so long to figure it all out!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
As it relates to PE on NZ, yes.

Plane I caught yesterday: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ai...777-300_V2.php

Pitch of 41 vs 31/33, width of 20 vs 17.1
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Always pay for W or higher!!!!!!! Always and roll the dice!^
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by drew in the air
Members also use the chrome script that sbm12 created, with expert mode turned on, it puts the key inventory fare classes in red/green like R and PN without having to click the uncollapse button on each potential flight. This way you do a search and you'll be able to quickly scan through the list and see where there's R
Couple of days late on this request. Could you elaborate on the above search technique. What is sbm12? I assume you are referring to the Google Chrome browser.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
It's what business class was 20 years ago
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by nomad420
Couple of days late on this request. Could you elaborate on the above search technique. What is sbm12? I assume you are referring to the Google Chrome browser.
sbm12 is another forum member here on FT
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
sbm12 is another forum member here on FT
LOL.... OK, is there a link to the script he created for Chrome? Thanks in advance, just sounds pretty helpful .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.