Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sigh - How much is the W Upgrade Lottery worth?

Sigh - How much is the W Upgrade Lottery worth?

Old May 11, 2017, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

How much have you spent on the GPU "lottery"?

I'm curious how often the 1Ks and GSes here pay for a W-class or above fare or (GG BUYUP) when an S-class or lower economy fare is available for the sole purpose of applying a GPU on an international leg.

How often do you do it? How much does it normally cost? And what's been your clearance rate?
Old May 11, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by prometa
I'm curious how often the 1Ks and GSes here pay for a W-class or above fare or (GG BUYUP) when an S-class or lower economy fare is available for the sole purpose of applying a GPU on an international leg.

How often do you do it? How much does it normally cost? And what's been your clearance rate?
I do not know the exact answer to your question, but ever since this was a requirement to use a GPU and I want to use a GPU I do book "W" or above. However, I now compare the cost between the GPU eligible and non-eligible fares and if it is more than $550 I book the lower fare and use the miles + copay. I have many miles so not concerned with using them - it is all about the money for me.

My change in buying pattern was due to the lottery not working and prefer to keep the money in my pocket by getting the refund. (Contrast to Air New Zealand that allows you to bid $$ for the upgrade but only charges if the bid is successful and retickets to the higher fare which works well for my PQM balance).
​​​​​

​​​
Old May 11, 2017, 6:43 pm

Zero, never will. I will not play a lottery w the airlines.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA GS
I only go for the W fare if R space is available at booking. Otherwise will take the lowest available and not waste my money.
simonoaks and hokiebuy like this.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by ryder1650
I only go for the W fare if R space is available at booking. Otherwise will take the lowest available and not waste my money.
Same here. Never expect R to clear unless I see it available.
hokiebuy likes this.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
$0, only book if there's R space. If not, I end up buying business.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I would only do GG BUYUP to W if I saw R class open up after I had booked a lower fare...very disinclined to play the lotto. I don't mind doing miles + copay if I have to - only want to spend money on a sure thing.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
$0, only book if R>0 and "buy up to" W. (which is basically a co-pay). The only time I go above W is if thats the lowest available fare. If you're asking how much I've spent on the "buy up to" W versus the lowest available fare, that's a tough on since I don't really track it. I usually take a look at its around $400 round trip perhaps.

I don't travel for intl for work much anymore, mostly for vacation so I can be flexible.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by hirohito888
$0, only book if there's R space. If not, I end up buying business.
Same.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Nope. I give them away.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've played the lottery a few times over the last year, and will generally only play if the fare diff is $200 or less and there is P9 at the time of booking.

In the last year I've hit on:
FRA-ORD
IAD-GRU
IAH-LHR

missed on:
SFO-SYD
GRU-EWR
Old May 11, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Like everyone else, I usually do not play the GPU lottery unless R>0 at time of booking. However, since the beginning of the year I decided to use my GPUs and have had the following successes:

EWR - TLV
TLV - SFO
EWR - MXP
MXP - EWR - LAX
LAX - HNL - GUM - MNL
MNL - GUM - NRT - LAX

Some of the segments cleared at booking, some cleared a few days before the flight, and 1 cleared the day of the flight.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Too many times. Probably 8 times in the last 2 years with <50% success rate. This 'feature' is one of he most annoying things about United and I wish they would just cut this crap out....
Old May 12, 2017, 1:19 am

I have never done it nor will I ever. Also this devalues their 1k program significantly for me as I rarely find flights with R space available.
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
The clearance rate for myself and my family (wife + 2 kids) is close to 100%. I don't remember the last time upgrades didn't clear. I book W, apply GPUs and always get upgraded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.