Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liquor Eliminations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I'll give UA the benefit of the doubt that they will replace these with other things.

From the paying J passenger perspective I'm never going to drink these brands on or off the plane.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know do they still have Sake on the Japan flights?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
For what it's worth on the 2018 Let's Eat thread the Polaris wine list being handed out on one route looked like a little improvement in budget - a couple of $20 category wines on the list, and a couple of the usual range.
Hopefully the improvement lasts.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver
So that is why they didn't have Crown Royal when I asked for it on HND > SFO flight on 1/1/2018.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by uanj
I flew LAX-PVG today. The newly downsized menu and wine card did not even bother to list the champagne and said the FAs will tell you about today's selection. The FA I asked said she had no idea and I should rely on what the menu listed.

However I soon found out she did not know what was on the menu either. I read my first selection and she said she had never heard of it. Spicy chicken in coconut curry broth with udon noodles, I had to show her in the menu. She came back and said they have chicken so I should just order chicken, not spicy chicken. The same thing with the person next to me ordering seared sea bass. She told him just say fish if he wanted to order it. Nonetheless we got our spicy chicken and seared sea bass and they were quite good.

I think they may be dumbing down the wines and liquor selection to a level more appropriate for these menu challenged FAs.
That would be aligned with the FA who was handling my meal service EWR-PVG; she referred to the wines as "the French one" or "the Italian red"
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I can see somebody deciding that two bourbons is a little redundant, but Courvoisier is the only brandy they have. Meanwhile, last I checked, LH offers a brandy with dessert in Y long-haul.
Guessing brandy drinking in general is declining and that's what led to Courvoisier being dropped. I think it's a generational thing. I'm 41 and I will occasionally order a brandy. My take is that folks older than me are more likely to be brandy drinkers and folks younger much much much less likely to drink brandy. We'd really need to know more about capacity and ordering patterns to make any assessment. If they're constantly running out of Buffalo Trace, and the call is to axe Courvoisier to make room for more Buffalo Trace, then I would get it. You might disappoint some brandy drinkers but you'll make more bourbon drinkers happy = net happiness gain.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Well if this is true that sucks. I don't mind if they cut Jim Beam or Jack Daniels...never made sense to have both on the list. But no Canadian whiskeys...don't get it. As several other posters note, I am concerned that UA is headed back towards this cost cutting mentality.
I would think about it more by use than origin. Use-wise, Crown and Jack are fairly similar insofar as most folks are going to order them with something carbonated, and I'm guessing they're generally not going to be too upset about which one they get. Someone who orders a Crown and Coke is generally going to be OK with a Jack and Coke. On the other hand, folks who drink rocks or neat are not going to be happy if they ask for bourbon or scotch and are offered Jack instead. Could be wrong, but that would be my rationale for why eliminating Crown makes sense.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:03 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
If you're drinking it with coke, why does it even matter if it's Crown Royale, Canadian Club, Jack Daniels, or Jim Bean? It's all going to taste like gross high fructose corn syrup anyways.

If you're ordering neat or on the rocks, you won't be drinking the afore-listed garbage.

It only makes sense to keep Buffalo Trace and Glenfarcas for people with tastebuds, and Jack Daniels for everyone else
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by saltydog75
I would think about it more by use than origin. Use-wise, Crown and Jack are fairly similar insofar as most folks are going to order them with something carbonated, and I'm guessing they're generally not going to be too upset about which one they get. Someone who orders a Crown and Coke is generally going to be OK with a Jack and Coke. On the other hand, folks who drink rocks or neat are not going to be happy if they ask for bourbon or scotch and are offered Jack instead. Could be wrong, but that would be my rationale for why eliminating Crown makes sense.
I would think it makes more practical sense to dump Crown as the bottles are a different size. You can for more bottles of Jack (along with other minis) in the cart than bottles of Crown.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UAL Gold Million-Mile
"They're discontinuing Cognac"

I just flew UA870 SYD-SFO arriving this morning. Got the upgrade into Polaris.
After the main meal I requested a cognac but the FA said that it's being discontinued and none was available.
Is this possible?
I had to agree with her opinion: "The Germans won't like it."
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bervol
After the main meal I requested a cognac but the FA said that it's being discontinued and none was available.
Is this possible?
Yup, the mods have moved this into the earlier thread on liquor eliminations ... they are depleting their remaining supplies of Courvoisier before discontinuing. It is still showing on the printed liquor list and online. Apparently from an insider, consumption is non-existent domestically and people only request it internationally if it is offered. What I did hear is that the galley space will be reallocated for increased units of high-volume liquors (Tito's etc). Sounds unlikely. Still cost-cutting.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
they are depleting their remaining supplies of Courvoisier before discontinuing.
Diddy and Busta Rhymes will be pissed to hear this too
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by bervol
Is this possible?
Did you ask what they have in duty free? I just got a laugh with that one, no Cognac.
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
UA is going to pass (on) the Courvoisier!
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And Pharrell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.