FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Liquor Eliminations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1885742-liquor-eliminations.html)

Hammer0425 Jan 1, 2018 10:51 pm

Liquor Eliminations

Forwarded from a flight attendant friend of mine - but effective today (January 1, 2018), in addition to the already eliminated Grand Marnier, the following other liquors have been eliminated from liquor offerings on all worldwide flights as part of the continued service enhancements: Jim Beam Devil's Cut, Canadian Club Reserve, Courvoisier VSOP, and Crown Royal.

mduell Jan 1, 2018 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Hammer0425 (Post 29238442)
...eliminated...as part of....enhancements...

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."

transportprof Jan 1, 2018 11:14 pm

I was on a HNL-SFO flight where there was no Glenfarclas either, with the FA saying they'd gone back to stocking Dewars. Thank goodness for Buffalo Trace is all I can say.

DELee Jan 1, 2018 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 29238462)
"I don't think that word means what you think it means."

Unfortunately, we all know what UA means when they talk about "enhancements"....:(

David

katan Jan 1, 2018 11:42 pm

I guess being cost efficient is a thing, but those words don't quite connect for me to removing Jim Beam Devil's Cut. Somehow that seems like a cut from a popularity angle as well.

iapetus Jan 2, 2018 1:09 am

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 29238485)
I was on a HNL-SFO flight where there was no Glenfarclas either ...

Well, it was fun while it lasted. :(

But going a little further on this, I have to add that I have never understood the way that United prices alcohol. Clearly superior products will be just a $1 or so more than swill (think Goose Island versus Bud). And the pricing on the wine in the United Club makes no sense to me whatsoever. Perhaps this is an essential part of the problem ...

fumje Jan 2, 2018 1:17 am

:td: to this change.

Originally Posted by iapetus (Post 29238683)
Well, it was fun while it lasted. :(

But going a little further on this,
I have to add that I have never understood the way that United prices alcohol. Clearly superior products will be just a $1 or so more than swill (think Goose Island versus Bud). And the pricing on the wine in the United Club makes no sense to me whatsoever. Perhaps this is an essential part of the problem ...

It's the same logic that has restaurants pricing the chicken at $20 and the steak at $25. The margin is much higher on the chicken.

UAinAUS Jan 2, 2018 2:55 am

I’ve heard DiSarrono is also being cut.

UAPremierGuy Jan 2, 2018 3:22 am

Kirby strikes again. Munoz is merely a puppet at this point. Kirby started the major product devaluation at AA, and has brought his bean-counter mentality over to UA. Just a start of MANY devaulations to come, I predict.

PsiFighter37 Jan 2, 2018 3:46 am

Not a liquor drinker on planes but this seems to only antagonize high-value FFs more than anything. I guess those cost savings have to come from somewhere. UA doesn’t seem to get that you have to spend money to make money.

FlytheTail Jan 2, 2018 4:27 am

Forwarded from a flight attendant friend of mine - but effective today (January 1, 2018), in addition to the already eliminated Grand Marnier, the following other liquors have been eliminated from liquor offerings on all worldwide flights as part of the continued service enhancements: Jim Beam Devil's Cut, Canadian Club Reserve, Courvoisier VSOP, and Crown Royal.

This sucks. Courvoisier is about the only hard liquor I enjoy on longhauls. It seems like UA continues to motivate me to give my business to other AAirlines.

halls120 Jan 2, 2018 4:59 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy (Post 29238923)
Kirby strikes again. Munoz is merely a puppet at this point. Kirby started the major product devaluation at AA, and has brought his bean-counter mentality over to UA. Just a start of MANY devaulations to come, I predict.

Do we know for sure that Kirby is Kirby and not SMI/J wearing a Kirby suit? ;) :D

3Cforme Jan 2, 2018 5:30 am

Forwarded from a flight attendant friend of mine ...

Does the list detail any additions?

milepig Jan 2, 2018 5:58 am

And we also seem to be back to boarding random swill instead of the wines listed on the card. And no way to make a flight as their
aren’t four whites and reds on offer. Of course, flights are rarely on offer anyway. Back to the grim past step by step.

EWR764 Jan 2, 2018 6:24 am

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 29238485)
I was on a HNL-SFO flight where there was no Glenfarclas either

Say it ain’t so...