Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rbAA
Haven't seen any transfer bonuses from UA and search came up with one from 2014. Wondering if UA does this regularly or at all.I just need to round off the account for an award and have some Wyndham I wouldn't mind transfering, but the current ratio comes up still short. I know CX is currently doing a 50% bonus for many hotel program points transfer. It's the time of year they all should...Anyone know?
Bonuses on the UA side (for all transfer) are very rare, but individual transfer programs frequently offer bonuses for transfers out into various forms (Marriott has done this a lot). Hard to say what's likely in the future.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbAA
Haven't seen any transfer bonuses from UA and search came up with one from 2014. Wondering if UA does this regularly or at all.I just need to round off the account for an award and have some Wyndham I wouldn't mind transfering, but the current ratio comes up still short. I know CX is currently doing a 50% bonus for many hotel program points transfer. It's the time of year they all should...Anyone know?
You missed one by a few weeks, perhaps.
30% Transfer Bonus for Hotel Points to UA Miles

I think UA tends to do one of these about once a year, so probably not much hope for another in the near future.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:13 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by fumje
You missed one by a few weeks, perhaps.
30% Transfer Bonus for Hotel Points to UA Miles

I think UA tends to do one of these about once a year, so probably not much hope for another in the near future.
Bummer. Thanks for the link.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Having a senior moment. When does my Premier Silver expire? 12/31/18? 1/31/19? Some other date? Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Having a senior moment. When does my Premier Silver expire? 12/31/18? 1/31/19? Some other date? Thanks.
End of January 2019
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Originally Posted by frontenac551
End of January 2019*
* assuming you did your 25k miles of flying in 2017. If you flew 25k in 2018 (and spent 3k PQD or had a credit card waiver), it lasts until end of January 2020.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:12 am

Do you think that UA would let me change the payment method for already booked tickets? I paid with my Chase Sapphire Reserve but I will probably cancel that card before the trip. So I'd like to use my United Miles card.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Do you think that UA would let me change the payment method for already booked tickets?
It's extremely unlikely.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's extremely unlikely.
That's being optimistic. The chances are zero.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's being optimistic. The chances are zero.
The only way it would work is if the reservation was made less than 24 hours ago. Cancel and rebuy. But it does not seem likely that the ticket was bought less than 24 hours ago.

At least it's good that the OP is flying United and not BA. That company wants to see at check-in the credit card that you booked your ticket with. Or at least it used to do that. Which was a pain when the credit card company would send you a new card with new numbers.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Hello all! I am a first-time UA flyer and I am going to a conference in a few weeks. I am flying in Y and I need to bring a poster in a poster tube (37" long, 2.5" diameter). I am very hesitant about checking it, so I would prefer to keep it as a carry-on.

Could a 21" suitcase and a poster tube count as my carry-on allowance, or would I be forced to check something in? I know it's a stretch, but would any UA FAs be willing to put it in the coat closet?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Hello all! I am a first-time UA flyer and I am going to a conference in a few weeks. I am flying in Y and I need to bring a poster in a poster tube (37" long, 2.5" diameter). I am very hesitant about checking it, so I would prefer to keep it as a carry-on.

Could a 21" suitcase and a poster tube count as my carry-on allowance, or would I be forced to check something in? I know it's a stretch, but would any UA FAs be willing to put it in the coat closet?
Just last week I was on a plane filled with passengers going to a conference in Washington, DC and I saw many of them with those poster tubes. However, you cannot have a third piece of luggage (like a backpack or a briefcase).

Your best bet is to plan to put the tube in the overhead bin after other passengers put their carry-ons in. Sometimes a real nice FA will put it in the closet but it's not a sure thing.

PS: If you purchased a Basic Economy (N) fare, you'll have to pay to check-in your 21" suitcase.
FlyerWx likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:08 pm

I've done a number of posters for conferences and it's always a YMMV situation. So far with UA I've almost always not had it count against the carry-on allowance, but I've had a couple of instances where I was forced to check my carryon bag. The same YMMV goes for the coat closet as well. If you really are concerned about it, I would suggest using a shipping tube, which is much more sturdy but heavier, instead of one of those plastic over the shoulder poster tubes. I've actually changed to using shipping tubes and find those much more to my liking (and have checked it a few times as well).
FlyerWx likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Just last week I was on a plane filled with passengers going to a conference in Washington, DC and I saw many of them with those poster tubes. However, you cannot have a third piece of luggage (like a backpack or a briefcase).

Your best bet is to plan to put the tube in the overhead bin after other passengers put their carry-ons in. Sometimes a real nice FA will put it in the closet but it's not a sure thing.

PS: If you purchased a Basic Economy (N) fare, you'll have to pay to check-in your 21" suitcase.
Originally Posted by steveman518
I've done a number of posters for conferences and it's always a YMMV situation. So far with UA I've almost always not had it count against the carry-on allowance, but I've had a couple of instances where I was forced to check my carryon bag. The same YMMV goes for the coat closet as well. If you really are concerned about it, I would suggest using a shipping tube, which is much more sturdy but heavier, instead of one of those plastic over the shoulder poster tubes. I've actually changed to using shipping tubes and find those much more to my liking (and have checked it a few times as well).
Thank you both for the information and advice! I will look into the shipping tubes and see if our supply room has some.

I didn't dare buy BE I am planning on putting my backpack inside the suitcase. If they tell me to gate-check the suitcase, would it be frowned upon if I pull the backpack out and keep it so I can have something with me for the 5 hr transcon? Do window seats board with Group 3, or did that change?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they tell me to gate-check the suitcase, would it be frowned upon if I pull the backpack out and keep it so I can have something with me for the 5 hr transcon?
No, not at all. In fact, the standard boarding announcement is "please remove anything you'll need in flight."
FlyerWx likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.