Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by SMC119590
Does anyone have the offer (if there was one) to purchase next level Premier status for 2018 based on inadequate PQDs spent in 2017? I know they usually offer deals to do that in January but didn't see one this year. My wife was $335 PQDs short of getting Silver for the first time in 30 years - due to inattentive husband (me) - and is displeased, to say the least. Flew 30,000 miles, so it should never have been an issue. Or, in other words, at this point in time, what are the deals/things to be done to get Silver for her in 2018?Thanks -
Check out this thread on the topic:
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)

pretty sure any offer would be expired by now though

Last edited by drew in the air; Mar 13, 2018 at 5:04 pm Reason: update
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: UAL
Another new kid level question. Mileage Plus agent I spoke with tried to say that PQDs accrue only when you pay for ticket or Economy Plus seat yourself - meaning using your own credit card. When my wife and I travel together and I purchase our tickets and then Economy Plus seats using my Chase MP Visa, I get PQD for my ticket and seat but she gets no PQD credit at all. Is that really the rule?

If so, it sounds contrary to the written rule - the Mileage Plus web site says that “PQD is credited to the account of the member who travels, not the member who purchases the ticket.” This makes it sound like you should get the PQD credit when a ticket or Premier seating is purchased for you by someone else (“the member who travels”).

If so, does this rule apply when her or my company pay for tickets we use for business travel? After all, it's not our credit card paying for that, either.

Buying two tickets separately, using separate credit cards, to get PQD is crazier still - having separate tickets get joined into one itinerary takes a 45 telephone call to customer service - no thank you. But separate tickets means our tickets/itineraries aren't linked, resulting in our chosen seats being separated randomly when United changes plans or schedules (which happens all the time), and that we are separated randomly on upgrade list, etc. Such a rule is too crazy even for United - or is it?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another new kid level question. Mileage Plus agent I spoke with tried to say that PQDs accrue only when you pay for ticket or Economy Plus seat yourself - meaning using your own credit card. When my wife and I travel together and I purchase our tickets and then Economy Plus seats using my Chase MP Visa, I get PQD for my ticket and seat but she gets no PQD credit at all. Is that really the rule?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

No, that's not the rule.

If so, it sounds contrary to the written rule - the Mileage Plus web site says that “PQD is credited to the account of the member who travels, not the member who purchases the ticket.” This makes it sound like you should get the PQD credit when a ticket or Premier seating is purchased for you by someone else (“the member who travels”).
That's the rule. :-)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:06 pm

If so, does this rule apply when her or my company pay for tickets we use for business travel? After all, it's not our credit card paying for that, either.

Buying two tickets separately, using separate credit cards, to get PQD is crazier still - having separate tickets get joined into one itinerary takes a 45 telephone call to customer service - no thank you. But separate tickets means our tickets/itineraries aren't linked, resulting in our chosen seats being separated randomly when United changes plans or schedules (which happens all the time), and that we are separated randomly on upgrade list, etc. Such a rule is too crazy even for United - or is it?
Nope. Agent is wrong or a miscommunication/misinterpretation. Flyer gets the PQD.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Mileage Plus agent I spoke with tried to say that PQDs accrue only when you pay for ticket or Economy Plus seat yourself - meaning using your own credit card.
lol you can't make this stuff up. Wish I could get PQD for the tickets I buy for others!

Another new kid level question.
Welcome to FT!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:40 pm

You're right - buy-up offer expired. Long sigh. Need to figure out Plan B - getting wife her own Chase MP Visa: $450/year. Buying "subscription" to bags, Economy Plus, etc., even more $.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You're right - buy-up offer expired. Long sigh. Need to figure out Plan B - getting wife her own Chase MP Visa: $450/year. Buying "subscription" to bags, Economy Plus, etc., even more $.
The Chase Explorer Card has a $95 annual fee (waived first year) and offers one free checked bag and priority boarding.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The Chase Explorer Card has a $95 annual fee (waived first year) and offers one free checked bag and priority boarding.
Hmm. Perhaps the best of bad choices. Thanks for helping!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If the op has a wife who is silver for 30 years, that' 750k mimimum. Assume even 5k over each year, and she is 900k. Only four years to million miler and gold for life.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:28 pm

Close - about 880,000. Assuming United doesn't monkey with the Million Mile qualification, that's one of the reasons we've discussed for not switching.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless she was regularly getting upgraded to F as a silver -- which is rare -- I'd think that the MileagePlus Explorer -- as mentioned -- plus a Economy Plus subscription would do the trick -- and the E+ subscription might not even be necessary (might be cheaper to buy E+ on each flight where it seems worth it). The E+ subscription is actually better than the Silver benefit, though, since you get E+ at booking instead of check-in. If she's spending $3K per year on United flights, you're losing out on 6K redeemable miles -- you'd more than make up for those with the credit card signup bonus alone.

Basically, Silver's been devalued to where it's not much more valuable than the Explorer card all by itself. If you have a good use for the bonus miles, you might even come out ahead over where you would have been if you'd spent the extra $350 last year.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Welcome to FT, donlorenzo!

The answer to both of these depends on how long your connection is at LAX.
hi.

its about 18ish hours at LAX i believe? its overnight. im gonna leave and come back.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by donlorenzo
its about 18ish hours at LAX i believe? its overnight. im gonna leave and come back.
With an 18-hour overnight, they'll only tag your bag to LAX. You'll need to check in the next day with Asiana.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With an 18-hour overnight, they'll only tag your bag to LAX. You'll need to check in the next day with Asiana.
thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Close - about 880,000. Assuming United doesn't monkey with the Million Mile qualification, that's one of the reasons we've discussed for not switching.
I'd look for some fun mini runs to get 60k this and next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.