Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:36 am

Asking for a friend, I already said there's a 0 chance but would love to be wrong

3/8 3/9 ORD-PEK UA 851
J1 PZ0
Economy ticket booking through Amex corporate travel, IDK the fare code

Flight status shows for the past few days only 2 people even get upgraded on, but that plane had real Polaris, while this one is schedule the 2-4-2 version. But it only shows 33 of 48 booked in J though. Why only sell 1 J in that case?

Last edited by jerseykeebs; Mar 9, 2019 at 7:57 am Reason: corrected date
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
Asking for a friend, I already said there's a 0 chance but would love to be wrong

3/8 ORD-PEK UA 851
J1 PZ0

Flight status shows for the past few days only 2 people even get upgraded on, but that plane had real Polaris, while this one is schedule the 2-4-2 version. But it only shows 33 of 48 booked in J though. Why only sell 1 J in that case?
That's a Polaris aircraft and anyone upgrade eligible will clear. Booked 36/50. J9=>PZ9.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
Can anyone tell me what the chances of a GPU upgrade are for the following flights:

LAX-SYD UA839 Mar 12
SYD-LAX UA842 Mar 20
2 travelers (I am a 1K)

I am thinking about buying up to a W-fare but need a data point to assess my chances (if that's even possible). TIA!
I would say decent for both flights. PN=5 on the 12th. PN = 7 on the 20th (no GS should be waiting ahead of you).
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

3/8 ORD-PEK UA 851
J1 PZ0

Since March 8 is today and that flight now left with empty Polaris seats (it was a real Polaris plane): did you friend get upgraded?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Since March 8 is today and that flight now left with empty Polaris seats (it was a real Polaris plane): did you friend get upgraded?
Ugh, no I typo'ed that so hard. His flight is 3/9, I was scoping out previous flights to get an idea of the waitlist situation. Sorry to you and @Kacee for giving you a wrong date.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Ugh, no I typo'ed that so hard. His flight is 3/9, I was scoping out previous flights to get an idea of the waitlist situation. Sorry to you and @Kacee for giving you a wrong date.
T-14, J8 Z7 P0, booked 39/48, no customers waiting to upgrade, I'd say odds are pretty good.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
T-14, J8 Z7 P0, booked 39/48, no customers waiting to upgrade, I'd say odds are pretty good.
There's only one passenger in the upgrade list and that passenger is also on the standby list. It seems that the friend has not checked in yet.

Now that I think about it maybe the friend needs the visa for entry to China verified by check-in agents at the airport.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Mar 9, 2019 at 6:32 am Reason: Add comment about visa
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tstauck
I would say decent for both flights. PN=5 on the 12th. PN = 7 on the 20th (no GS should be waiting ahead of you).
Agree. Tue/Wed on LAX/SYD is usually a pretty easy upgrade.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
  1. Available fare classes:
  2. J9
  3. JN9
  4. C9
  5. D9
  6. Z9
  7. ZN9
  8. P0
  9. PN0
  10. PZ0
  11. IN0
  12. I0

Delhi, IN (DEL) to New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR - Liberty)
Tue, Mar 19
GPU, W fare, UA Silver (mom)
J cabin is 25/50 booked and 5 passengers ahead of mom on waitlist. I feel her chances are pretty good, but P0 worries me. I'm 1K therefore my GPU clears in PZ. When can I expect her to clear - on rolling basis or day of the flight? Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to boost her chances. I'm willing to fork upto $1K for guaranteed/TOD upgrade, but united wants $8K!!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
J cabin is 25/50 booked and 5 passengers ahead of mom on waitlist. I feel her chances are pretty good, but P0 worries me. I'm 1K therefore my GPU clears in PZ. When can I expect her to clear - on rolling basis or day of the flight? Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to boost her chances. I'm willing to fork upto $1K for guaranteed/TOD upgrade, but united wants $8K!!!!!
8 days before travel, I'd say her chances are pretty good, although take the waitlist numbers with a boulder of salt. Agents often just make stuff up, and that's usually a very difficult route to clear. The fact that she's traveling on a Tuesday is likely helping a lot.

If she does clear, it could be anytime between now and then, but day-of-flight is more likely than ahead of time, in my opinion, given the current P0. Then again, if it's still at 25/50 after another couple of days, they'll likely have expanded the inventory.

Good luck!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
I feel her chances are pretty good, but P0 worries me.
Sometimes UA zeros P not because it thinks all the seats will sell, but to avoid sales of a heavily discounted P fare with no advance purchase requirement (or to prevent pax on P fares from SDCing out of a less favorable routing). I've seen this quite a bit on SFO-SIN, where UA simply would not open P within two weeks of departure, regardless how many open seats there were.

In this case, UA offers an exceptionally cheap zero day AP P fare DEL-EWR which is almost assuredly why you're seeing P0.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Outbound available fare class:
SFO-TPE
J9
JN9
C9
D9
Z9
ZN9
P9
PN0
PZ0
IN0
I0
Travel date is 4/20. Traveler is UA Gold. (Me) Metal is 77W. J is currently 10/60 booked. I have a GPU applied by a friend, and in my mind I feel like this GPU has a very good chance of clearing, but I'm interested to hear what you guys all think
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by UA_Doc45
Travel date is 4/20. Traveler is UA Gold. (Me) Metal is 77W. J is currently 10/60 booked. I have a GPU applied by a friend, and in my mind I feel like this GPU has a very good chance of clearing, but I'm interested to hear what you guys all think
Ordinarily I would agree booked 10/60 less than four weeks out, but with a Saturday departure it is by no means a sure thing. Saturday and Sunday are toughest days for TPAC upgrades. Heavy demand by business travelers, who tend to buy late.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by UA_Doc45
P9
PN0
PZ0

Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

If the friend who gave you the GPU is GS the chances are higher. With P9 they might open some PN.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Ordinarily I would agree booked 10/60 less than four weeks out, but with a Saturday departure it is by no means a sure thing. Saturday and Sunday are toughest days for TPAC upgrades. Heavy demand by business travelers, who tend to buy late.
Agreed. 871 and 872 tend to have a lot of late buyers, especially on the weekends. Still I would say there is at least a chance, but no guarantee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.