Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
It's now 33/39. I would say you have to watch out for passengers taking TODs. But if you don't get upgraded before check-in, you will be able to answer a question that was posed many times: do you get TOD offers when you have a waitlisted miles + copay? I know that you get TOD offers when you have a GPU waitlisted but never had to test the proposition with miles + copay since I was always upgraded before check-in when using that upgrade instrument. Please, come back and let us know the outcome.
I can answer that question right now. I never got TOD offers for my DEN-LHR flight which I had waitlisted for a month with miles+copay. The flight started with over 12 seats available in J (but PN0) and stayed that way until about a week and a half to 2 weeks before the flight. A week before the flight it still had 6 or 7 seats open in J but it was sold out a day or two before the flight. 2 seats opened up on the day of the flight and 2 people got upgrades but that was it. Never once saw a TOD offer.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:05 pm

Should I check in 24 hours before or stay not checked in? Does that change the arithmetic?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by adg1234
Should I check in 24 hours before or stay not checked in? Does that change the arithmetic?
If you travel alone, check in at 24 hours before your flight.

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I can answer that question right now. I never got TOD offers for my DEN-LHR flight which I had waitlisted for a month with miles+copay. The flight started with over 12 seats available in J (but PN0) and stayed that way until about a week and a half to 2 weeks before the flight. A week before the flight it still had 6 or 7 seats open in J but it was sold out a day or two before the flight. 2 seats opened up on the day of the flight and 2 people got upgrades but that was it. Never once saw a TOD offer.
If the flight is so tight, the chances of TODs being offered are very, very, very close to 0, even with GPUs waitlisted. It's when there are 6-7 seats available that I saw TODs (on my GPU waitlisted flights) and they were at a price that I would consider.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 26, 2018 at 11:25 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If the flight is so tight, the chances of TODs being offered are very, very, very close to 0, even with GPUs waitlisted. It's when there are 6-7 seats available that I saw TODs (on my GPU waitlisted flights) and they were at a price that I would consider.

Still holding at 6 with about T-26...so we shall see
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
The lady and I are flying SFO-IAH-MSY on Tuesday, July 3rd; 19 days away

UA540, SFO-IAH, departing at 7:34 AM: .....ZN8, P7, PN7, R4, RN4, IN3, I3
Flight Status shows 5 of 16 booked

UA1131, IAH-MSY, departing at 3:20 PM: ....ZN9, P9, PN8, R6, RN6, IN4, I4
Flight Status shows 8 of 20 booked

Inventory has been looking better and better as we get closer to departure...but will it hold long enough for the CPU?
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Day before 4th and upgrade/award inventories show low business travel day (not many people are going to stuffing a travel trip into a work week with a mid-week holiday. I'd be optimistically hoping for a CPU instead of using certs.

I inventory will decrease before R - I'd just keep and eye on 'em.
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
With those numbers, and the day of travel, I would expect the CPU to clear at T-96 and wouldn't even think about the RPU.
Fast-forward and we're at T-6 days....

UA540, SFO-IAH, departing at 7:34 AM: .....F7, A6, JN7, C6, D6, Z6, ZN6, P6, PN6, R3, RN3, IN2, I0
Flight Status shows 9 of 16 booked. 26 of 45 E+ seats are available per the seat map. My guerrilla estimate says that of the 19 people currently sitting in E+, six (6) are 1K or higher. I'm thinking that this will be one of those times where my companion and I wait to check-in.

UA1131, IAH-MSY, departing at 3:20 PM: ....ZN9, P9, PN9, R9, RN9, IN6, I0
Flight Status shows 8 of 20 booked...I feel confident that this will clear.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
UA540, SFO-IAH, departing at 7:34 AM: .....F7, A6, JN7, C6, D6, Z6, ZN6, P6, PN6, R3, RN3, IN2, I0
Flight Status shows 9 of 16 booked. 26 of 45 E+ seats are available per the seat map. My guerrilla estimate says that of the 19 people currently sitting in E+, six (6) are 1K or higher. I'm thinking that this will be one of those times where my companion and I wait to check-in.
Yeah, normally with 7 left on a 738 and 19 in E+, I would be sweating it as a 1K but inventory suggests that there is very little premium demand. Good luck!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Hi - what are the rules again for me upgrading as a Gold, traveling on the same confirmation as a non-elite? Do I still need to manually split the reservation for me to be possibly upgraded at T-48, and then put the companion on the upgrade list at the airport?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tstauck
Hi - what are the rules again for me upgrading as a Gold, traveling on the same confirmation as a non-elite? Do I still need to manually split the reservation for me to be possibly upgraded at T-48, and then put the companion on the upgrade list at the airport?

Thanks in advance!
You will upgraded both-or-none, as long as the PNR is not split. When you check in, you may choose to split the PNR. Once it is split, you will be eligible separately for CPU.

If you choose not to split, you will not be eligible for battlefield upgrades and will not show up on the upgrade standby list.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by findark
Hate to say it, but with inventory at J8 C0 with 14 days (and two whole business weeks) to go, odds look pretty poor.
As it turns out, my friend cleared with my GS GPU a few days before the flight.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by findark
You will upgraded both-or-none, as long as the PNR is not split. When you check in, you may choose to split the PNR. Once it is split, you will be eligible separately for CPU.

If you choose not to split, you will not be eligible for battlefield upgrades and will not show up on the upgrade standby list.
It is safe to opt to split the records (as long as you are willing to take a risk of not sitting together if one upgrade clears and the other doesn't). After the records are split, they are still referenced in case of irrops, and the companion will still keep the same upgrade priority on future segments in the itinerary.... safe play all around, and my Mrs and I usually opt to split the res and get the upgrades.... most of the time we either both get it or both miss horribly.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jjmoore
It is safe to opt to split the records (as long as you are willing to take a risk of not sitting together if one upgrade clears and the other doesn't). After the records are split, they are still referenced in case of irrops, and the companion will still keep the same upgrade priority on future segments in the itinerary.... safe play all around, and my Mrs and I usually opt to split the res and get the upgrades.... most of the time we either both get it or both miss horribly.
Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:28 pm

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Chances of an upgrade on UA 875, 08/04/18? Using a GPU as platinum status.

Also UA2 on 08/12/18? This time using miles + cash as a platinum.

Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Asaq
Chances of an upgrade on UA 875, 08/04/18? Using a GPU as platinum status.

Also UA2 on 08/12/18? This time using miles + cash as a platinum.

Thanks!
Tough to say for both. Your chances are better for the HND flight I would dare to say. My experience with UA1 and UA2 are that there are many many last minute J purchases and that the seat map will dwindle quickly within the 2 week mark. As a GS for the last couple years, I was upgraded at T<48hr in all cases on UA1 and UA2, and it usually came down to the last couple seats. Sunday is typically a business-heavy travel day for SIN-SFO, so good luck.... I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that one, especially since they are not releasing anything below D class in the available inventory. This means all GS are still waitlisted for upgrades... as well as any 1K. The HND has P inventory opened up... lots of open seats... so hopefully they will begin to leak out some PN and R to clear some people....
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
As a GS for the last couple years, I was upgraded at T<48hr in all cases on UA1 and UA2, and it usually came down to the last couple seats.
The chance of clearing UA2 as a Platinum, on a Sunday, prior to the introduction of the second daily SFO flight, is essentially zero. Every single GS and 1K on the flight will have an instrument applied, as will anyone who knows a GS with some to spare — and all of those people would be ahead of a Platinum.

If you were flying through LAX, you might have a shot.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

The chance of clearing UA2 as a Platinum, on a Sunday, prior to the introduction of the second daily SFO flight, is essentially zero. Every single GS and 1K on the flight will have an instrument applied, as will anyone who knows a GS with some to spare — and all of those people would be ahead of a Platinum.

If you were flying through LAX, you might have a shot.
Agree, not even sure if LAX would help. If you hold an instrument you will use an instrument on this flight or simply buy up either way extremely tough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.