Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Quick summary of this weekend's travel:

EWR-LAX (dinner on Friday 12/7): same old choices that feel like they have been around forever - beef short rib, grilled chicken with orzo and pesto, and vegetarian lasagna. I went with the chicken (again) because the short rib is always a hit/miss (usually miss) proposition, as it's highly dependent on the 'cooking' done onboard. Chicken was fine (i.e. okay) as usual and not too much food. Sundae was good.

LAX-EWR (breakfast today): been a while since I've done a p.s. breakfast flight. I went with the brioche souffle, which I very much enjoyed. Probably on par with the French toast souffle that I have enjoyed on domestic F flights in the past. Warm biscuit > croissant. Yogurt + granola is a nice combo. Skipped the frozen fruit as usual, save for a couple slices of pineapple.

My main comment: I REALLY wish they would bring back the warm cookie. The later snacks such as turkey and cheddar sandwiches, or hummus and cucumber rolls (today's options), have always sounded highly unappetizing. If you're going to spend money on a pre-descent snack, you may as well use it on something people will eat (the cookies, in my recollection, were always highly popular).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1984SW
I thought PDB stood for Pre-Departure Beverage, but I see it from time to time with a ramekin of nuts like in the above photo. What does PDB stand for these days?
Originally Posted by goodeats21
PDB is still pre-departure beverage.
In the quoted clip, I take it to mean that a full PBD was offered, just not photographed. Then the first photo is of the nut service.
This is correct. My posts are meant to be read chronologically from top to bottom with text being captions to pictures above if applicable. I don't bother photographing PDBs because they really look ugly in the United hospital blue cups.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Desnacked

EWR-TPA this morning. Supposed to be a snack flight, but they miscatered and we get a real breakfast.

Choice of croissant with egg & ham, or Special K w/ fruit and yogurt.

I chose the cereal. Not an egg fan.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
EWR-TPA this morning. Supposed to be a snack flight, but they miscatered and we get a real breakfast.

Choice of croissant with egg & ham, or Special K w/ fruit and yogurt.

I chose the cereal. Not an egg fan.
Interestingly, this was not a miscatered.

Snack is breakfast on breakfast flights.

I know, odd...
zeer0 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Three recent flights. Same old.

IAH-ORD 6 December 735 am departure. Meatless egg white sandwich with cheese of some sort.

ORD-LGA 6 December 1130 am departure.. Tandoori chicken. Most Kirbied portion size of chicken yet. Almost like a thick chicken finger.

LGA-IAH 8 December 559 am departure. Turkey, egg and cheese croissant. Croissant (or cinnamon roll) offered with your croissant.

Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

I know, odd...
Not always. Snack was ... snack on my COS-IAH flight last month. No catering, just your choice of items in the snack basket (gummi bears, chips, biscotti, etc.). This for a 2.5 hr flight that departed at 0730.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
YYC-SFO
Dec. 11, 2018
E175
PM "Snack"

I got snack attacked again! Though considering I cleared the CPU on an award, I don't really mind. There were no choices, it was the "protein platter" or nothing. I'll be honest it wasn't bad and bridged the gap between lunch and the Centurion Lounge. The coleslaw was decent, the cold chicken tasted fresh, the wedge of unknown cheese was tasty, and the ubiquitous sea salt Ghirardelli was sitting lonely on the tray without a plate. I suppose UA catering only budgets for 1 little plate per tray and this time they decided to place the crackers on it instead of the chocolate.

kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Champagne on "Premium Transcom" - Yes or No?

So I noticed on the website (see photo) that it says on the Premium Transcon flights that you can "sip champagne".

Last time I flew EWR-LAX I asked for champagne, and they looked confused and said they had Prosecco. I know it is a minor thing, but a pet peeve of mine is when people use Champagne and "Sparkling Wine" interchangeably. They are NOT the same... and Prosecco, for me, is way to sweet, whereas most Champagne served by airlines are dry bruts, which I prefer.

Does anyone know if the LAX/SFO-EWR or LAX/SFO-BOS flights do offer champagne? Were the flight attendants on my last flight just clueless, or is the United marketing department simply taking liberties with their description of their "bubbly" offerings?

NOTE: AA does pour real champagne on the A321T service... so was curious is United was trying to match?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
So I noticed on the website (see photo) that it says on the Premium Transcon flights that you can "sip champagne".

Last time I flew EWR-LAX I asked for champagne, and they looked confused and said they had Prosecco. I know it is a minor thing, but a pet peeve of mine is when people use Champagne and "Sparkling Wine" interchangeably. They are NOT the same... and Prosecco, for me, is way to sweet, whereas most Champagne served by airlines are dry bruts, which I prefer.

Does anyone know if the LAX/SFO-EWR or LAX/SFO-BOS flights do offer champagne? Were the flight attendants on my last flight just clueless, or is the United marketing department simply taking liberties with their description of their "bubbly" offerings?

NOTE: AA does pour real champagne on the A321T service... so was curious is United was trying to match?
Hey All! So I actually got a response from 1K voice... and while I appreciated the response, it is also a little telling about how things are done at United: "I contacted our Food and Beverage Planning Team and was advised that we do offer Prosecco, rather than champagne. I want you to know that we will reach out to our web content team to ensure the online descriptions are corrected."
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Flying New Zealand in a couple of weeks on the SFO-AKL nonstop both ways.

how are the standard menus?

Should I look a ordering one of the special menus?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by wco81
Flying New Zealand in a couple of weeks on the SFO-AKL nonstop both ways.

how are the standard menus?

Should I look a ordering one of the special menus?
I flew out of NZ last month, they had lamb which is different for a UA flight, but somewhat more common out of NZ. Otherwise standard choices seems like out of MEL/SYD which is not so bad.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hmm, maybe they'll up their wine game at least since NZ produces some good wines.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
7:07 (actual 8:10) SFO-YVR
Choice of Thai chicken or grilled chicken cobb salad. This has the same flavor profiles as the much loved INTL “Asian fusion” or whatever they call it now chicken noodle soup.

kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
A reminder on what the AM muffin is:

12/10/18 UA471 LAX-SFO:

David
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

I know, odd...
While I'd love to agree with you, the FAs were surprised by it. They said they usually just get a single cold option instead of the hot croissants sandwiches.

We didn't, however, get a bread service. Which is good for my waistline, bad for the tastebuds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.