Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by douglasac10
Incidentally, is it normal for United to serve prosecco or champagne on domestic first flights? One passenger asked for the former and another the latter, and particularly with the latter I am unsure if they confused the fight with United mainline First or Emirates First.
Domestic First flights usually have some sort of sparkling wine.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by fumje
Have you been writing them about this? My last offer was 'hot option or cold option', and then I had to choose.
Yes, with the typical bland hollow response.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
IAD-DFW 1230 dep (delayed to 1430)
A319
SNACK service

Here is the snack that was served on IAD-DFW last week on A319. Block time scheduled for 3h04m. Other choicce was a salad with chicken.

camachinist likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
DFW-IAD 1730 departure
B737-800
Dinner

Choice of chicken tandoori or salad with chicken. Huge improvement from the tray of processed crap I got on same flight when operated by E175. Young crew but did great job with PDBs and keep glasses filled throughout the flight.

Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
The chicken tandoori is still one of the better domestic F dishes, though if you look at older photos there is a clear Kirbification where the chicken has shrunk as the pile of rice has doubled in size.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
01SEP UA253 IAH-HNL 10:10am departure.
Lunch after departure choices were short rib (was excellent), pork chop lottery which was a loser, dry & hard according to my neighbour, and mushroom ravioli, which another neighbour .
Snack cart out mid-flight had nacho chips, gummy bears, pretzels, bananas, and a couple other things
Pre-arrival was choice of burger or ??? (I forget, and everyone around me had burger.
Aloha!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:15 pm

08/23/2018
UA 2327 (EWR - LAS)
9:25 p.m. Departure (5 Hours, 2 Minutes)
Refreshments

On the last flight from Newark to Las Vegas that evening, we received the amazing snack basket as our "refreshments" for the entire flight. It was only passed around once about thirty minutes into the flight. I was sitting in Row 5 so by the time the basket made it to me, I had the option of a bag of chips and a package of two Oreo cookies. I do like kettle chips and Oreos, so I snatched them up.

We did receive a PDB, and many people were in the mood for alcohol (because Viva Las Vegas, baby). However, the flight attendants dimmed all the cabins lights as soon as possible after takeoff and we only received one more round of drinks when the snack basket arrived. About two and a half hours into the flight, someone across the aisle from me asked for a gin and tonic and the flight attendant replied, "Oh, I'm terribly sorry. [The other flight attendant] already locked up the alcohol."

Needless to say, I think the flight attendants were expecting everyone to sleep through the entire flight. I can certainly understand not serving dinner at 11:00 p.m. at night; however I was disappointed that we did not at least have one hot option for a trip that almost spans the entire country (because you need a calzone or cheeseburger padding in your stomach for the activities that will follow when you land in Sin City, of course).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by st530
...if you look at older photos there is a clear Kirbification where the chicken has shrunk as the pile of rice has doubled in size.
You give Kirby too much credit. The shrinking of the chicken has only made it appear the pile of rice has doubled in size.
rch4u, choch345, st530 and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TarcanusFrostbourne
08/23/2018
UA 2327 (EWR - LAS)
9:25 p.m. Departure (5 Hours, 2 Minutes)
Refreshments
... I was disappointed that we did not at least have one hot option for a trip that almost spans the entire country (because you need a calzone or cheeseburger padding in your stomach for the activities that will follow when you land in Sin City, of course).
When you bought your ticket, United clearly stated "snack", not "meal" for that flight. For future reference, you might want to check United's dining page, which is outlines the food offerings (and when/where). You could have picked up something more substantial at EWR if you needed it. Luckily, LV has a lot of dining options 24/7!

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ng.aspx?POS=US
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
When you bought your ticket, United clearly stated "snack", not "meal" for that flight. For future reference, you might want to check United's dining page, which is outlines the food offerings (and when/where). You could have picked up something more substantial at EWR if you needed it. Luckily, LV has a lot of dining options 24/7!

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ng.aspx?POS=US
Yeah, I wasn't so disappointed that it affected my trip (it's not that big of a deal to wait five hours to eat) - just adding a data point as to what to expect if anyone else sees "Refreshments" on that flight.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
On SFO-IAD yesterday (13:00 departure), choices were lobster mac or lobster mac. I was not feeling that much cheese, so went with the burger from the back, which the FA actually plated for me (!). Very good crew that also kept coming by to resupply beer. ^
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Had this disgusting “snack” yesterday TPA-EWR. FA described it as a turnover, which most pax thought to mean a warm pastry of some sort. Alas, it was a breakfast calzone with about 85% bread, and 15% filling. I handed it back to the FA after a few bites, got a laugh when she smiled and said “don’t you miss the omelette” to which I said “I’d be happy if we even got the strawberry in the fruit bowl back”...

Also, I noticed sometime recently they switched to using canned pineapple rings in the fruit bowl. How much cheaper can it get? Reminds me of eating in the school cafeteria.

Edit: seem to be having issues uploading pics. Will try again later.
AustinWeatherGuy and choch345 like this.

Last edited by CruiserCLE; Sep 6, 2018 at 7:07 am
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You give Kirby too much credit. The shrinking of the chicken has only made it appear the pile of rice has doubled in size.
Ronald Reagan circa 1982 "catsup is a vegetable"

Scott Kirby circa 2018 "cookies are a first class meal"
AustinWeatherGuy and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA
8/29 UA501 LAX-SFO
Warm blueberry muffin, welcome change to snack basket. Tasted great, also spotted in UC/Polaris lounge

9/3 UA116 HKG-GUM
Pork loin with mushroom risotto and broccoli. Pork was a little overcooked so slightly dry but it was still ok. Risotto was excellent, broccoli was just bland and steamed I expected more from an Asian kitchen.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
09SEP:
HNL-SFO breakfast flight--choice of chorizo eggs or hot oatmeal
SFO-IAH dinner flight--choice of jambalaya, or lentil chili with polenta

Also in HNL UC they had magnificent scones in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.