Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please Read

It is the desire of the FT UA Moderation Team to keep this thread open, as there is still much to be learned. While realizing this incident has some elements that have led to some very active discussion; such as the Congresswoman is local to a major UA hub and familiar to many UA flyers, FT has certain rules for discussion. This forum is focused on travel with UA and there are better places for other types of discussion.

After some discussion among the FT UA Moderators, we wish to clarify what is appropriate and what is not.
Discussion of the actual incident and how it might have happened
Discussion of how UA has handled the event
Discussion if the congresswoman or others forced this to happen
Discussion of UA granting unearned GS status

Not appropriate and better elsewhere
Overly political or racial comments about the congresswoman (or anyone else)
General comments about politicians, government officials unrelated to the actual incident
General ethics discussion concerning corporate/government officials accepting complimentary status

And all the standard FT rules apply including not commenting on other posters and not posting unnecessarily inflammatory, inciting or provocative comments.

Generally, if you are not discussing the incident, good chance you may be Off Topic.

WineCountryUA
on behalf of the UA FT Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA hasn’t won a PR battle in recent memory, and wouldn’t win one against a sitting congresswoman who will apparently levy charges of racism at the drop of a hat.
SJL is getting obliterated in the media and social media. UA would crush her like a grape in a public battle over free upgrades. If anyone in a position of authority at UA really believes they need to treat SJL like a queen, then that explains a lot of failures at UA in recent years.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Please Read

It is the desire of the FT UA Moderation Team to keep this thread open, as there is still much to be learned. While realizing this incident has some elements that have led to some very active discussion; such as the Congresswoman is local to a major UA hub and familiar to many UA flyers, FT has certain rules for discussion. This forum is focused on travel with UA and there are better places for other types of discussion.

After some discussion among the FT UA Moderators, we wish to clarify what is appropriate and what is not.
Discussion of the actual incident and how it might have happened
Discussion of how UA has handled the event
Discussion if the congresswoman or others forced this to happen
Discussion of UA granting unearned GS status

Not appropriate and better elsewhere
Overly political or racial comments about the congresswoman (or anyone else)
General comments about politicians, government officials unrelated to the actual incident
General ethics discussion concerning corporate/government officials accepting complimentary status

And all the standard FT rules apply including not commenting on other posters and not posting unnecessarily inflammatory, inciting or provocative comments.

Generally, if you are not discussing the incident, good chance you may be Off Topic.

WineCountryUA
on behalf of the UA FT Moderation Team
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
SJL is getting obliterated in the media and social media. UA would crush her like a grape in a public battle over free upgrades. If anyone in a position of authority at UA really believes they need to treat SJL like a queen, then that explains a lot of failures at UA in recent years.
She threw in her lot with UA — who is also getting just as much negative press, if not more. You’re vastly underestimating UA’s negative reputation among people who, for the most part, don’t actually fly them. UA could delay a flight thirty seconds in order to accommodate a team of heart surgeons racing to do a pro bono transplant for a three-year-old, and all you’d see would be a story about somebody who complained because UA didn’t provide free drinks for the plane as a recompense for the inconvenience.
greg99 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by docbert
I actually did a same-day change on the app a few hours ago - should have through to take screenshots.

After selecting to view other flights, it's 2 clicks. One to select the flight you want to change to from the list (at which point it shows you the full details), and then one more to confirm the change.

I wouldn't say it's easy to accidentally do it, but for someone that wasn't used to using the app I certainly wouldn't consider it impossible to accidentally do it - especially if you were expecting it to take you to a payment screen at some stage like I'm guessing it would for a non-platinum or higher passenger, but which likely would not have occurred given the passengers original flight was delayed.
There is no doubt that you can change a reservation on the app; But the details reported were not a "change" but a "cancellation" and no one has IDed how on the UA app you can easily cancel a reservation. Again, the details reported at the time of the incident, which no one has contested are as follows:

'"After thoroughly examining our electronic records, we found that upon receiving a notification that Flight 788 was delayed due to weather, the customer appears to have canceled her flight from Houston to Washington, D.C. within the United mobile app," United said in a statement.'
https://www.chron.com/news/politics/...p-12452258.php

"Simon was told by a gate attendant that her ticket was not in the system. Simon said the gate agent not only could not find her seat, but also could not find her ticket or name."The gate agent called over a second United agent who informed that I had no seat, not just the first class seat I had purchased, but no seat, period," Simon wrote. "I didn't even have a reservation any more."Simon was first told she may have cancelled her own reservation, before being told that united.com had changed her reservation about an hour earlier and that another passenger had been upgraded to her seat."
United Passenger Who Was Kicked Off Plane Unhappy With Airline Apology

The passengers reservation was initially "gone" and could not be found, then she is told that it had been changed an hour before. These two statements are contradictory. If the passenger had been told "I'm sorry, I show you on flight #XXX, it appears you changed your reservation" then I would believe UA. But that is not UA's story, nor is it consistent with what the passenger was told at the time.

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
As a huge UA Flyer, it is embarrassaient mentioning that I fly UA to casual flyer friends of mine. They all seem to think Delta is 100x better when UA has the better FF Program, better route network, and an overall good J product.
If you think UA is not objectively an embarrassment at this point, you are one of the few in the Bay Area who feel that way. The come down ex-SFO for high status UA passengers to the current version of a crappy ULCC-wan-a-be airline was a large one. I personally know/knew at least 20 GS and probably another 30 1Ks, not one is happy with UA at this point. And I've only run into one, yes one, passenger sitting next to me in F on any flight to/from SFO in the last 5 years who thought UA was still a decent airline.

Originally Posted by halls120
I know several government employees who get GS status because they meet the spend requirements. If SJL meets those requirements, she didn't violate the rules. If UA gifted it to her, she did.
+1. And it will be interesting if someone files an ethics complaint, as I'm sure they ethics committee can figure out if she was gifted, or earned it, but requesting documents from UA. Hopefully the passenger involved files a complaint. And just to point out, this is not an issue just with Lee, my guess is all airlines treat congress-people better than the general public, which is part of why congressional efforts to reign in the airlines (see Blumenthal's efforts) have not gone further.

This said, I would not necessarily expect Sheila Jackson Lee to have demanded GS, and given that she flies a lot, and the qualification rules are not published, and we only know in general by reports on FT, she may legitimately believe she earned it, when UA gave it to her.

Originally Posted by Two Bee
United is DONE answering questions --- PERIOD!!!
The ONLY people worried about someone's status are people on here, and United can do whatever they want, to whom they want!
Best to just worry about one's own status with UAL, and move on to the NEW YEAR!
Actually, if UA gifted GS to a congressperson (or a bunch of them) it arguably is an undisclosed contribution, which UA should have reported. Sort of a gray area...

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
PX in question has not said anything about receiving cancellation emails.
Nor has UA. I would have thought that was the first thing UA would show to the press, not some coding w/o any explanation of what it means...

UA hasn’t won a PR battle in recent memory, and wouldn’t win one against a sitting congresswoman who will apparently levy charges of racism at the drop of a hat.
UA clearly decided the "enemy" was the passenger, but has now - with saner heads in the loop - gone to ground. Taking this particular congress-person out of the mix, UA gives certain GS special designations, and UA will bump people from seats for them, which is what appears to have happened here. UA clearly does not want to discuss that, let alone after the "chairman's flight" cop to giving special treatment to elected officials...
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:38 pm
Suspended

She threw in her lot with UA — who is also getting just as much negative press, if not more. You’re vastly underestimating UA’s negative reputation among people who, for the most part, don’t actually fly them. UA could delay a flight thirty seconds in order to accommodate a team of heart surgeons racing to do a pro bono transplant for a three-year-old, and all you’d see would be a story about somebody who complained because UA didn’t provide free drinks for the plane as a recompense for the inconvenience.
But that's the thing: UA has a negative reputation because it keeps making amateurish mistakes in the p.r. wars. How better to win back the public than by telling an over-entitled politician to get lost when she complains about not getting free upgrades? It's hard to imagine an easier p.r. play for a big company than that.
Loren Pechtel and Kevin AA like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:47 pm

But that's the thing: UA has a negative reputation because it keeps making amateurish mistakes in the p.r. wars. How better to win back the public than by telling an over-entitled politician to get lost when she complains about not getting free upgrades? It's hard to imagine an easier p.r. play for a big company than that.
That would be the worst possible response. UA gives special status to multiple congress-people, and likely other government officials. I seriously doubt that Jackson engaged in a hissy fit, rather she is GS (gifted or otherwise) with the special GS designation for VIPs, and UA cleared out a seat for her.

If UA were to attack her, I would expect her to then - to protect herself - go after UA for who else had GS status, and say UA was picking on her because she was [fill in the blank]. UA would be defaming her, and she would have every interest in defending herself.... A story line of "United gives free stuff to all of these other congress people, but went after me" is the worst possible story line for UA. @:-)
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:48 pm

UA could delay a flight thirty seconds in order to accommodate a team of heart surgeons racing to do a pro bono transplant for a three-year-old...
Nice strawman
Kevin AA and Cotumely like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spin88
That would be the worst possible response. UA gives special status to multiple congress-people, and likely other government officials. I seriously doubt that Jackson engaged in a hissy fit, rather she is GS (gifted or otherwise) with the special GS designation for VIPs, and UA cleared out a seat for her.

If UA were to attack her, I would expect her to then - to protect herself - go after UA for who else had GS status, and say UA was picking on her because she was [fill in the blank]. UA would be defaming her, and she would have every interest in defending herself.... A story line of "United gives free stuff to all of these other congress people, but went after me" is the worst possible story line for UA. @:-)
We're going in circles here. Why on earth would SJL have this super-special GS but Ted Cruz and Ted Poe have no GS at all? Makes no sense.
Loren Pechtel and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

”United Airlines accused of racism again.” The story writes itself.

Originally Posted by spin88
I agree. If UA gave away the original passenger’s seat to a congresswoman, they’re in a no-win situation. If they refused to do so at her request, they’re in another no-win situation.

I’m not familiar with this particular member of Congress — I’d never heard of her until this thread — but it’s hard for me to believe that you could spend 20 years in the House without being owed a few favors along the way. UA may well be afraid of behind-the-scenes retribution that would be even costlier than the PR hit.

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Nice strawman
Guilty as charged. But it doesn’t seem like that big of an exaggeration. Alaska Airlines is currently being sued for killing a woman. The FlyerTalk thread has 17 comments, and I’ve seen exactly one national story about it — and if there were any about the original incident, I missed them entirely. (TL;DR: Wheelchair contractors left her alone at PDX; she decided to get herself to her connecting gate, confused an escalator for an elevator, and fell down it. Tragically, she died three months later as a result of injuries suffered during the fall). This thread has attracted hundreds of responses.

Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:16 pm
Suspended

”United Airlines accused of racism again.” The story writes itself.
LOL. No, it doesn't. "United is racist because it didn't give SJL her thousandth free upgrade"? Come on.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:20 pm

Guilty as charged. But it doesn’t seem like that big of an exaggeration. Alaska Airlines is currently being sued for killing a woman. The FlyerTalk thread has 17 comments, and I’ve seen exactly one national story about it — and if there were any about the original incident, I missed them entirely. (TL;DR: Wheelchair contractors left her alone at PDX; she decided to get herself to her connecting gate, confused an escalator for an elevator, and fell down it. Tragically, she died three months later as a result of injuries suffered during the fall). This thread has attracted hundreds of responses.
It is a point that some folks don't get. United's reputation is trashed. At this point its viewed as an airline that actively mistreats its customers, to the point that its an active punching bag for comedians, and enough people hate UA at this point that anything UA related gets clicks. E.g. the Economist, oh staid of staid publications had a piece on plot line movies for 2018 in its most recent issues, one of which was:

"Executive Decision. A group of terrorists hatch a plot to hijack an airline. But the flight is overbooked. When they refuse to leave their carefully chosen seats, two of their number are beaten to a pulp by United flight attendants. The other terrorists say on board but are too cowed to do anything."

United management burned their bridges with a series of service quality cuts starting in 2012 all backed up with a set of lies: "changes you will like"

Any company with an NPS of 10 (vs. say SWA at 62, and B6 at 68 or DL at 38) has put a target on its back. see https://customergauge.com/blog/net-p...-australia-cba ; https://customergauge.com/blog/2017-...dustry-so-far/

p.s. UA has reported NPS for 2017 of -8 (https://customer.guru/net-promoter-s...ental-holdings ) but its "estimate" but I think probably better reflects the post-Dao NPS.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2017 at 3:29 pm Reason: Removed inflammatory comment; Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL. No, it doesn't. "United is racist because it didn't give SJL her thousandth free upgrade"? Come on.
Never let facts get in the way of a good click-bait headline.

There is a segment of the population who is predisposed to believe that UA is a racist company run by racist employees who will regularly mistreat customers based upon their skin color. You’re expecting an awful lot from both the news media and the public when you think they will be able to resist the immediate urge to jump to the same conclusion if the congresswoman were to make the same claim — and considering that she immediately called the accuser racist, I have no reason to doubt that she would claim the same thing about UA.

I’ll be the first to admit that UA hasn’t helped itself with many of its PR responses so far this year, but, in this case, they’re between a rock and a hard place if a special favor was requested. Grant it, and you risk a mess; deny it, and you risk a mess. The only scenario where UA comes out looking plausibly OK if if their defense has been accurate from the start and they can somehow prove it — but their reputation is bad enough at this point that few will believe them anyway. (~350 posts into this thread and I’ve yet to see a single shred of evidence that UA has been lying — not that I’m truly sure what form that evidence would take — but the preponderance of public opinion is clearly against them).
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:47 pm
Suspended

"Everyone hates United Airlines ... which is why its Revenue Passenger Miles is up 4.6 percent year over year."
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Everyone hates United Airlines ... which is why its Revenue Passenger Miles is up over 4 percent year over year."
Comcast and Spectrum (née Charter + Time Warner) might show 4% revenue growth; it woudln’t mean that people like them.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:57 pm
Suspended

I guess I've lost track of what you're arguing, then. United's RPM is up almost 5 percent year over year despite having an all-time horrendous year in terms of public relations. So what exactly does UA have to fear vis-a-vis SJL?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.