Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New promotion - Mile Play -- targeted book/travel X trips by 12 Jan 2018, get Y miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New promotion - Mile Play -- targeted book/travel X trips by 12 Jan 2018, get Y miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
13k miles for 1 economy flight of at least $350. Dont have any travel plans until then so Ill pass. Not worth taking a trip just for the bonus miles.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Fare lock eligible

i currently have a fare lock in place which started prior to the promotion. If i purchase it now that I have registered for the promotion will that count? I am thinking not because the record locater may show up as being created prior to the start of the promo.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sykes
Mine was exceptionally generous. 47,000 miles for taking 2 premium cabin trips of at least $650. I just split my Christmas travel into two one-ways and upgraded both. ^
Want to trade? My 4 premium cabin trips for 7,800 miles?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by eeflyer
I got 500 miles to check a bag. Two friends got nothing. One a silver, one a general member. I wonder how they are targeting members? Spend history?
Just curious if you're eligible for free checked bags?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
And I am not sure that their targeting is based on people "not spending". Numerous 1Ks posting their offers, who by definition are spending at least $12K (absent foreign waivers anyway).

Maybe they have a "budget" of RDMs that they want to limit the promotion to, but it really is frustrating to be a witness to others getting a boatload of RDMs and not being able to partake as well.

I have been contemplating a trip in Jan, and a decent offer would have probably given me the push that I guess I need. Now, I just resent United for the whole thing.
I'm not sure how they are targeting them either. I got what appears to be a very good offer (1 premium class flight, $1,700 minimum price, for 68,000 miles). I already had another trip booked for next week (in first on PS SFO-EWR and back) that will put me over 75K for platinum, and my total spend for the year will be over $20K. Admittedly, I had nothing booked for next year so far, but my trips are almost all business booked on 1-2 weeks notice so that's not unusual.

I'm not in the "he hasn't spent any money recently, get him excited" category, and I'm also not in the "he spends huge amounts and is GS or 1K" category. So I don't know why I'm targeted. Curious.

Bob
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
Just curious if you're eligible for free checked bags?
Indeed I am! That's what makes the offer so strange. My next flight is in a few weeks (INTL so free bag regardless of status/CC), so I'll be checking a bag and reporting back.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SG Plat Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
I got a great offer, but the timing is unfortunate.

Book and take a trip in a premium cabin 3 times by January 12, 2018, to get 120,000 bonus award miles. (37 days left)

Unfortunate timing, I have already purchased a trip to India before this offer, and while I could make 2 more trips in business class before 1/12/18 (to and back from Seattle), I will not be able to avail of this offer. The other wrinkle is that each trip must be over $2000...

Cric8Fan (First post in this great forum)
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I began the year by booking P fares almost exclusively; grew tired of F disappointment syndrome, and went back to lowest available fare with UA.

Received my first post-merger targeted offer today of 5,000 miles for two premium bookings.

NOT!

Proof positive that a lame attempt at machine learning is afoot here, and that it's subject to an awfully high margin of error. Hopefully Santa is still checking who's been naughty or nice the old fashioned way (wait)...

Originally Posted by Sykes
Mine was exceptionally generous. 47,000 miles for taking 2 premium cabin trips of at least $650. I just split my Christmas travel into two one-ways and upgraded both. ^
So did you actually book a premium fare, or book Y and upgrade? I would suspect the latter scenario would be disqualifying, no?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Book and take a trip in a premium cabin 1 time by January 12, 2018 to get 39,000 bonus award miles.

Minimum cost = $1,000

Have an upcoming trip to Europe already booked, but only one way purchased in premium class :-(
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I began the year by booking P fares almost exclusively; grew tired of F disappointment syndrome, and went back to lowest available fare with UA.

Received my first post-merger targeted offer today of 5,000 miles for two premium bookings.

NOT!

Proof positive that a lame attempt at machine learning is afoot here, and that it's subject to an awfully high margin of error. Hopefully Santa is still checking who's been naughty or nice the old fashioned way (wait)...

So did you actually book a premium fare, or book Y and upgrade? I would suspect the latter scenario would be disqualifying, no?
Most likely need to book in F, A, J, C, D, Z, P to qualify... RN, R, PN will not count if I had to make an educated guess.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA, Marriott; BeWelcome, Servas
Buy Economy Plus 1 time by January 12, 2018 to get 1,600 bonus award miles.

I've been a member since 2009 but have relatively few miles: 13K lifetime, and 1315 unexpired miles.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:50 pm

I got an offer for 80,000 miles - 3 "trips" at a minimum of $850.00 each.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: United Gold
I got an offer for 29,000 miles if I take two trips of $500 each. That is not very likely, given that I've already booked my December travel...
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kittiyut
Curious... who (or what, for that matter) comes up with these numbers, and based on what?
What's the algorithm used?
I bet there isn't an algorithm. The reason the promotions are all over the place is so United can get some data on what behaviors they can motivate, what behaviors they can't, and at what cost.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bpratt
I'm not sure how they are targeting them either. I got what appears to be a very good offer (1 premium class flight, $1,700 minimum price, for 68,000 miles). I already had another trip booked for next week (in first on PS SFO-EWR and back) that will put me over 75K for platinum, and my total spend for the year will be over $20K. Admittedly, I had nothing booked for next year so far, but my trips are almost all business booked on 1-2 weeks notice so that's not unusual.

I'm not in the "he hasn't spent any money recently, get him excited" category, and I'm also not in the "he spends huge amounts and is GS or 1K" category. So I don't know why I'm targeted. Curious.

Bob
Thanks for the data points. I am similar in your travel pattern although I have already re-qualified for 1K. My business trips are also booked 1-2 weeks in advance. I am also at $20K in spend, but no offer at all.

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I bet there isn't an algorithm. The reason the promotions are all over the place is so United can get some data on what behaviors they can motivate, what behaviors they can't, and at what cost.
If that is the only reason, they are woefully ignorant. There are way too many outside variables that would affect the outcomes. They have no way of knowing what are the drivers of purchase, whether primary or tertiary.

If I have a business trip pop up, I am going to fly regardless of their promotions. And actually, I am probably going to NOT take a trip in Jan because I am miffed that I didn't get an offer. They have reduced their perceived value proposition to a profitable customer.

As an overall business comment, the state of Marketing is not an impressive discipline at the moment, and United shows no signs of being a leader in the (mediocre) field.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.