FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New promotion - Mile Play -- targeted book/travel X trips by 12 Jan 2018, get Y miles
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:17 pm
bpratt

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
And I am not sure that their targeting is based on people "not spending". Numerous 1Ks posting their offers, who by definition are spending at least $12K (absent foreign waivers anyway).

Maybe they have a "budget" of RDMs that they want to limit the promotion to, but it really is frustrating to be a witness to others getting a boatload of RDMs and not being able to partake as well.

I have been contemplating a trip in Jan, and a decent offer would have probably given me the push that I guess I need. Now, I just resent United for the whole thing.
I'm not sure how they are targeting them either. I got what appears to be a very good offer (1 premium class flight, $1,700 minimum price, for 68,000 miles). I already had another trip booked for next week (in first on PS SFO-EWR and back) that will put me over 75K for platinum, and my total spend for the year will be over $20K. Admittedly, I had nothing booked for next year so far, but my trips are almost all business booked on 1-2 weeks notice so that's not unusual.

I'm not in the "he hasn't spent any money recently, get him excited" category, and I'm also not in the "he spends huge amounts and is GS or 1K" category. So I don't know why I'm targeted. Curious.

Bob