Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual routing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoshattack
Definitely don't understand this new strategy. I can't imagine carrying a few extra pax for tens of dollars is going to make a difference in the bottom line, and the knock-on effect for public perception and elite travelers is going to continue to erode.
If they've decided that they need to compete with $35 NK fares, in a world where BE fares exist, it makes sense that they'd use them for it. I'm not convinced the reputation hit from this is any worse than the reputation hit of offering BE in the first place. You could make the same argument about the need to match NK fares in the first place.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
If they've decided that they need to compete with $35 NK fares, in a world where BE fares exist, it makes sense that they'd use them for it. I'm not convinced the reputation hit from this is any worse than the reputation hit of offering BE in the first place. You could make the same argument about the need to match NK fares in the first place.
I agree - I actually think that it makes good business sense unlike most of what they've done in BE. They're only competing with NK here, and so they're selling 0-day tickets on lightly loaded planes (G space), and selling into BE to avoid cannibalizing close-in business travel bookings. It's disappointing as a mileage runner that we don't get MRable deals from NK sales, but it's pretty reasonable for UA to split the difference here when it's clearly an unprofitable fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.